Tank is dying a slow death... Can someone help?

pettyrd

The bulbs are about 10 months old. Should I increase the photo period?

Yes, I would increase the photo period. The bulbs are getting close to the end of life for them and the corals look to be fading in color so I would increase it by and hour or two, stepping it up 30 minutes every few days. Then see if the color starts to come back.

Are you feeding your LPS? If not I would offer them something to eat a couple times a week.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tested and re-tested all systems and parameters that could be the potential cause to my coral die off problem.  The only thing i have not eliminated are the 400w MH bulbs.  I heard this weekend that some bulbs only last 5 months... mine are close to 10 months old.  So today I ordered 3 AI Vega Color modules from Salty Supply.  They will arrive this Wednesday.  I will probably have them up and running by Friday.  Hopefully this will reverse the discoloration/die-off of my corals.

Keep in mind to not run the new lights at their full potential...maybe only 40-50% to start...

Have you run a poly filter to make sure there are no metals in the tank?

Keep in mind to not run the new lights at their full potential...maybe only 40-50% to start...

Have you run a poly filter to make sure there are no metals in the tank?

Thanks for the tip.  I hope this fixes my problem.   

Yes.  I tried two different poly filters, both showed no indication of metals in the water.  I also bought a copper test, it also tested negative.  

It was the lights.... Tank is doing great!! Ph has come back to the healthy range, corals are regaining color, algae has died off. What a month... Thanks for all the help folks!! It's nice to have a forum filled with ppl that care.

The lights are great!! Love the controllability!! But I think my favorite thing is now there are no more sudden light on/off moments. Every transition of lighting happens as it does in nature... Super cool. Very pleased. And it is far less humid in my house now too... Big plus.