90 gallon Mixed Reef

Stand looks awesome.  I am not a DIY also but you have inspired me!  There is hope for me.  I just finished my cuts and in the process of assembling my replacement stand for my current tank and like have been reading a lot of stand threads and have finally got the courage to build one.  Great work!

I used a 1/4" plywood from lowes that had decent siding.. I then sanded it down and it came out nice...

I have been working on my sump for the majority of the morning, and I keep thinking about this stand you built, and how I wish I didn't have this cheap little fiberboard one, that although looks really nice, has NO room underneath for anything. I'm going to either find something that works a heck of a lot better, or inspired to build like you did here. Just wanted to say "bravo" again, you should be super proud of it, because it looks awesome!

Thanks man! I appreciate it.. It wasn't hard to do just time consuming.. If you don't have a big vehicle like me I did all my measurements in advanced and had lowes guy cut it all for me.. I marked it all out.. Was a lot easier... Lol.. Just you mark it out so its all straight.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minor update.. Tried building a sump myself and it was a bombshell... I ordered a custom one from Adam at AA... Can't wait!! I just made a large buy from BRS as well and am slowly buying all my equipment I need..

My AC set me back big time...

I am gonna put lights on the back burner for right now, I am not sure what I really like yet. Lol I am not really a fan of the evergrows. I def appreciate the idea tho sublime.

Thanks Jason! Gives me some good idea about how I want to do it.

A 4 bulb ati powermodule would be PERFECT for a 90gal mixed reef...  I know someone selling one...

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to figure out how I wanna scape my rock... This is actually more complicated than I thought lol! So much thought a switching around goes into it!

(edited)

That is a BEAUTIFUl Rockscape... do It Just Like that... Looks Awesome.... Couldn't of done it better myself.
  With that, You'll still have Great Water Flow along and through the bottom

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

I really like this lay out...for diversity you can always create a ledge off the top somewhere to avoid the rock wall look maybe...since you are going to mortar them together

Yup I have one piece I'm saving or a nice ledge.. Looks like pride rock from lion king lol

Exactly like I was picturing :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Looks nice!

If you can recreate that exact aquascape in your tank, I will offer to do your first water change! I have yet to put my rocks back to where they were before each time I had to touch them (usually by accident). That's a puzzle that cannot be solved the exact same way twice. :wacko:

He can just mortar it all together like it is and drop it in the tank to cycle

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh, didn't realize that's what he's doing. But still..he has to disassemble it from top to bottom in order to mortar it from bottom to top...kind of the same as if he was placing it in the tank....But what do I know? :laugh:

Either way, lots of room for corals!

Haha I'm numbering my rock on the back side and drawing arrows to which way it goes to re create what I've planned out :-) I'm going to mortar it into 3 separate pieces. I am also thinking of changing it a wee bit.

I thought I loved my rock when I started my tank as well. It's changed about 3 times now. Definitely my favorite part though. Your second structure looks way better IMO. I love your Pride Rock reference, and was immediately jealous that I don't have a pride rock ledge. Next goal: Recreate The Lion King mountain via aquascape.

Looks good man. Have you considered (and I'm working English, left to right here) the rock that makes the first 2 gaps, and having two separate structures?

I would play around with how that looks, just my opinion, and then maybe try rotating the right structure so the two peaks point towards the center of the tank instead of the right corner. I don't know if that makes any sense, you may like it clearing up some of that rock that I mentioned. I don't know if the rotation would look better or not, I would have to see it.

I think it would open it up quite a bit, instead of making it look like just one big ledge.