90 gallon Mixed Reef

Wow, you have done a great job w/ the stand.

I used reefcleaners.org rocks. But really, you can't go wrong w/ either them or Marco. You will find nothing but great reviews from either. For reefcleaners, you can suggest certain sizes and proportions based on how you want your aquascape to look and they will try to provide them for you.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your stand is excellent!

Are you planning on buying some live rock to seed with?

Yes... I'm just not sure where to get good quality live rock...

I know Tampa Bay Saltwater is good, but for just seeding the shipping might be costly.

I'd hit an area LFS for live rock to seed with...even if you have drive a ways it will be worth seeing what you're getting since the idea of seeding is partly to reduce the potential for pests

If you want to cycle dry rock check out bulk reef supply pukani. Its extremely light and porous its incredible to aquascape with and seed it with just a few pieces of LR

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Personally, I'd do majority dry/base rock and then seed w/ some fully cured LR from LFS, like Matt suggested above. This way, you know, for the most part, what exactly is in your tank. The dry rock allows you to aquascape at your leisure out of the tank so you can get it right before getting it wet. It'll be much easier. You'd be surprise how little fully cured LR you'll need to cycle your tank. For example, I started w/ about 33 lbs of reefcleaners rock then bought about 5.5 lbs from LFS. My ammonia and nitrate never got above .25ppm (creating ammonia by ghost feeding) and my tank was cycled in about 2 weeks though I still waited about 3 to 4 weeks anyways.

This will save you a lot of money too, buying base rock that is.

I couldn't agree with jack more. I have done full LR tanks and dry and although I love the diversity of life from the LR tanks I would do dry always from this point on. The pukani is so light you need at least half of what you think you will. In fact I might have some still as I bought too much let me look when I get home. Its a true money saver.

Looks great!! I like how you kept hinges and handles black so it doesn't take your eyes to the stand instead of tank...

Tank + stand... I guess I will build a canopy at some point to... Lol gonna wait till I buy lights... But here is the build so far.. I am heading up to reef escape tomorrow to hopefully pick up some used equipment. Big thing I need is a 30 gal sump/fuge...

post-2633685-0-96447300-1372513408_thumb.jpg

Stand looks awesome.  I am not a DIY also but you have inspired me!  There is hope for me.  I just finished my cuts and in the process of assembling my replacement stand for my current tank and like have been reading a lot of stand threads and have finally got the courage to build one.  Great work!  

Stand looks awesome.  I am not a DIY also but you have inspired me!  There is hope for me.  I just finished my cuts and in the process of assembling my replacement stand for my current tank and like have been reading a lot of stand threads and have finally got the courage to build one.  Great work!

That's so cool....start a thread if you don't have one :)

I have been working on my sump for the majority of the morning, and I keep thinking about this stand you built, and how I wish I didn't have this cheap little fiberboard one, that although looks really nice, has NO room underneath for anything. I'm going to either find something that works a heck of a lot better, or inspired to build like you did here. Just wanted to say "bravo" again, you should be super proud of it, because it looks awesome!