Tnias 75 Gallon Office Tank

75 Gallon Rimless Tank (3) sides starphire glass

T5 lighting originally - now (2) Radion's (the growth has been awesome since adding the Radions)

24 Gallon Sump

Reef Octopus Skimmer (Haven't turned it on in months - not happy with it but doesn't seem to be helping/hurting the tank)

(2) Heaters

MP40 Vortech

Neptune Controller

JBJ ATO in 10 Gallon Tank

50 lbs sand

80 lbs live rock

Didn't want to build a custom cabinet but no one makes a (3) sided cabinet for my penisula setup.  I am an architect so I designed the cabinet and it was made with mahogany wood on the exterior and plastic laminate on the inside for moisture resistance.

IMG_0597.jpg

Day One

IMG_0598.jpg

Day One

IMG_0603.jpg

Under the Hood

IMG_0604.jpg

Electronics

med_gallery_2633684_1252_62191.jpg

New Lights this past Christmas (Growth has been awesome)

Unfortunatly, I don't have a closer shot at the moment to show the growth.  This is in the entrance to my office so aesthetically it needs to be very clean and I am kind of anal about things.  I blame my profession.  Hope everyone enjoys the images and I will try and get some better pictures soon.  The tank has been running for about (2) years.

It runs great for a couple days then overflows then does nothing.  I forgot I turned it off and after a month there was no noticable affect so I just left it off.  I have adjusted the ATO to keep the water volume stable but just not able to really get it to hold well.  I will be turning it back on this week to see if I have better luck.  I do dose Vodka which probably lets me get away without it running and my bio load is fairly light. 

must be nice to have a tank at the office. you need to run that skimmer. it is overflowing probably because it is still breaking in. give it a couple of days for it to adjust.

I have had the skimmer for 2 years and the photo is from day one which I have adjusted since then.  I am turning it back on this week.  I turned it off in December when my controller fried and I had limited options to get everything running for 3 months while I waited for the replacement and had time to install it. 

I sit right next to the tank and it can be distracting from time to time.

I have had the skimmer for 2 years and the photo is from day one which I have adjusted since then.  I am turning it back on this week.  I turned it off in December when my controller fried and I had limited options to get everything running for 3 months while I waited for the replacement and had time to install it. 

I sit right next to the tank and it can be distracting from time to time.

when i was running a smaller version of reef octopus skimmer, i had the water level lower than your picture and it was pulling out all kinds of gunk. i had to clean out the collection cup on a daily basis. only time my skimmer overflowed was when i turned off the return pump and the sump level rises.

Yeah, I've found those skimmers need a really steady water volume.  Mine is in a chamber which only fluctuates when I do a large water change but is far enough away from my return to where it doesn't otherwise fluctuate.   It's pretty beastly in it's output.  

When I had it in the part of my sump right next to the return compartment, it overflowed weekly.  

Honestly, though, if you're doing great without it and have a low fish load, no reason to mess with success ;)  

I am designing my sump for a 180 gallon tank for home and making sure the skimmer is in an isolated area to minimize fluctuations.

Below are recent iPhone images, sorry for the quality, of the tank today.  I am a minimalist so I don't see many more additions to the tank.  The purple sea fan needs trimming so if anyone wants some I can cut it for you.  Same for the montipora that is almost about to hit the glass.  I hate to cut it but I don't want it growing on the glass.

med_gallery_2633684_1252_44202.jpg

med_gallery_2633684_1252_99898.jpg

med_gallery_2633684_1252_565314.jpg

I am designing my sump for a 180 gallon tank for home and making sure the skimmer is in an isolated area to minimize fluctuations.

Below are recent iPhone images, sorry for the quality, of the tank today.  I am a minimalist so I don't see many more additions to the tank.  The purple sea fan needs trimming so if anyone wants some I can cut it for you.  Same for the montipora that is almost about to hit the glass.  I hate to cut it but I don't want it growing on the glass.

med_gallery_2633684_1252_44202.jpg

med_gallery_2633684_1252_99898.jpg

med_gallery_2633684_1252_565314.jpg

you can also just look for a recirc type skimmer and not have to worry too much about fluxuation of the water level.

Tank looks great! I wish the Department of Commerce would let me have a tank at work. I guess having hte National Aquarium in the basement will have to do for now. Excellent work!

Cool tank! That's a sweet skimmer, I am wondering how much vodka your dosing daily. I can't believe you are doing it without a skimmer running. I think thoes reef octopus like to be in water about 6 to 7 inches, probly depending on size.

Anyways what happens when you let the skimmer sit with stagnant water in it for two months and suddenly pump that water back into the tank?

Yeah I have been looking at the recirc skimmers to solve the problem.  I have my skimmer back on this morning and working on fine tuning it so its not overflowing.

I only dose about 8ml so its not that much.

Nice looking tank! We're in the same profession. Nice to see another one on WAMAS...Welcome again.

Nice, where do you work? We are seeing things improve and hired in February and interviewing right now for another position.

I'm curious to know your lighting schedule and intensity of your radion. Is it a pro or G1/G2? Thanks

(edited)

The lights are G1 and set to 20K at 70% intensity.  They start ramping up around 7am and start ramping down around 5pm.  I am not sure how to attach a file but I have the setup saved if you PM me your email or let me know how to attach it.

Edited by Tnias

• 4 weeks later...