Anybody available in Baltimore on Saturday morning to lift a 730 gallon tank up onto a truck?

Decadence

I believe that I already have enough people to lift this thing. It is sitting on a pallet and that is on rollers so it can be pushed to the truck. It will have to be lifted vertically onto the truck afterwards and weighs about 1500 lbs. I have 10 people ready as is but more would be appreciated. If you're available, please let me know!

Thanks

It's a 730 gallon glass tank, the largest they sell on glasscages. It was a massive Craigslist score which will become our new SPS tank when we find a house. For now, it is just going into my garage back in Laurel. I'm really excited to be able to house some of the fish which have always been limited by space.

(edited)

It's a 730 gallon glass tank, the largest they sell on glasscages. It was a massive Craigslist score which will become our new SPS tank when we find a house. For now, it is just going into my garage back in Laurel. I'm really excited to be able to house some of the fish which have always been limited by space.

this is the one with the broken/cracked bottom pane from a couple weeks ago? what are your plans to fix it - doesn't the cost of the new pane make the whole thing cost prohibitive?

Edited by monkiboy

Yep, that's the one. I can either replace the bottom with glass for around $1000 or I can do an epoxied plywood bottom for much cheaper. I'm leaning more towards glass because it will be a bare bottom tank. Either way, the tank costs $3600 plus shipping new.

(edited)

Yep, that's the one. I can either replace the bottom with glass for around $1000 or I can do an epoxied plywood bottom for much cheaper. I'm leaning more towards glass because it will be a bare bottom tank. Either way, the tank costs $3600 plus shipping new.

wow, you got quoted an amazing price for a sheet that size at that thickness. who's the glass shop or supplier? i called all around for a 6'x2' section for a tank i was going to rehab of 5/8" glass and prices where higher than that for "regular" (not low-iron/starphire) non-tempered. going to be a ton of work for somebody but if it makes sense for you or your abilities that is going to be a SWEET tank build to follow in the future for sure!

Edited by monkiboy

Is that the 11ft long tank?

That would be the one!

wow, you got quoted an amazing price for a sheet that size at that thickness. who's the glass shop or supplier? i called all around for a 6'x2' section for a tank i was going to rehab of 5/8" glass and prices where higher than that for "regular" (not low-iron/starphire) non-tempered. going to be a ton of work for somebody but if it makes sense for you or your abilities that is going to be a SWEET tank build to follow in the future for sure!

Laurel glass and mirror. Exact price is $1090. They are he cheapest place I have found yet. It would cost around $500 to get all of the glass to build a standard 120 rimless in all 1/2" glass with all polished/beveled edges like an ADA tank. Just add silicone!

Is that the 11ft long tank?

That would be the one! I'm most excited for a clown tang.

Given that the bottom has cracked before, you may want to consider a 1" bottom. A tank with those dimensions I would not use a 3/4" piece. It's going to be expensive but you'll not have the same problem again.

WOW. Good luck, I can't imagine even making the water for a 750 gallon, let alone rock and lights and... well, you get the idea. Good luck Saturday morning!

Given that the bottom has cracked before, you may want to consider a 1" bottom. A tank with those dimensions I would not use a 3/4" piece. It's going to be expensive but you'll not have the same problem again.

I can safely say without a doubt that if I am able to crack the bottom of this tank after I repair it, it would get a plywood bottom! 1" glass is so ungodly expensive that it would put this whole build way out of budget sadly.

^^^ not sure what happened there but it won't let me edit or delete it.

WOW. Good luck, I can't imagine even making the water for a 750 gallon, let alone rock and lights and... well, you get the idea. Good luck Saturday morning!

Thanks. Fortunately, my methods to reef keeping allow me to change very little water. In fact, The only water I change regularly is just from water lost changing out media and what not. I will probably make the initial batch of water in the tank and then adding live rock to the display will fill up the sumps. Lighting is probably going to be a mix between LEDs and solar tubes.

Thanks. Fortunately, my methods to reef keeping allow me to change very little water.

Can you explain your method?

Decadence should start another thread for that in Gen Discussion cause that topic could go on for a bit of others start to input lol.

Orrrrrr if you end up helping in Baltimore he could tell you all morning, in person :p

I have a multitiered approach using biological filtration for everything it is worth. Normally I would be on an algae turf scrubber but my screen crashed due to a kalk overdose a few months back and I haven't gotten around to setting it up a new LED scrubber yet. Right now my weapon of choice is a lot of chaeto with a powerful light. Nitrate and phosphate are taken in at a pretty set rate so I also run some GFO to make phosphate the limiting factor of algae growth since it is significantly more harmful. I dose vinegar into my kalk which allows the effluent a higher saturation point and also acts as a free carbon source in the display tank to promote bacterial growth. This is all coupled with a huge protein skimmer with an amazing pump on it. Now, I do stock very heavily so to keep an edge, I run a bare bottom tank with very high flow.

Basically, every time I do change water, the inorganic phosphate levels of the old water are just as low as the new. I only change out around 5 gallons a month and empty/clean my sump and equipment every three to four months which is another 40 gallons.

I have a multitiered approach using biological filtration for everything it is worth. Normally I would be on an algae turf scrubber but my screen crashed due to a kalk overdose a few months back and I haven't gotten around to setting it up a new LED scrubber yet. Right now my weapon of choice is a lot of chaeto with a powerful light. Nitrate and phosphate are taken in at a pretty set rate so I also run some GFO to make phosphate the limiting factor of algae growth since it is significantly more harmful. I dose vinegar into my kalk which allows the effluent a higher saturation point and also acts as a free carbon source in the display tank to promote bacterial growth. This is all coupled with a huge protein skimmer with an amazing pump on it. Now, I do stock very heavily so to keep an edge, I run a bare bottom tank with very high flow.

Basically, every time I do change water, the inorganic phosphate levels of the old water are just as low as the new. I only change out around 5 gallons a month and empty/clean my sump and equipment every three to four months which is another 40 gallons.

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds to me like the biggest contributing factors, IMO, is the fact that you're BB. No detritus or other junk can get trapped in/on the SB. The high flow keeps the detritus, etc afloat to the overflow, which is then skimmed out or otherwise removed (filter sock). Then your every so often wc's will get rid of what is left over?

How often do/would you do a wc?

Good luck w/ the huge tank!

Wow, that's a big tank! Good luck with the replacement bottom and check out the other seams too, it is a glasscages tank after all. They always seem to scare me. Have you priced out a PVC or Arcylic bottom like what A.G.E. uses?

Holy cow. I think I just saw your tank on TFT. I assume that's you guys? What a monster. Tell me you rented that truck and you didn't have that laying around at home... Good luck!

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds to me like the biggest contributing factors, IMO, is the fact that you're BB. No detritus or other junk can get trapped in/on the SB. The high flow keeps the detritus, etc afloat to the overflow, which is then skimmed out or otherwise removed (filter sock). Then your every so often wc's will get rid of what is left over?

How often do/would you do a wc?

Good luck w/ the huge tank!

It would be a stretch to say that almost everything gets skimmed or removed in the sock. I can definitely give myself cloudy water be blowing off the rocks. There is also plenty of sediment that falls in the sump and/or winds up in the chaeto. The biological processes remove most of the inorganic waste and the gfo gets the last bit out. I only do water changes because I can't clean my equipment without it. If this weren't the case, I would probably do one 20-40% water change every six months or so just to remove any contaminants which may find their way to the tank from the air. To be honest, the freshly made water isn't quite as clean as the stuff which I pull out of my tank.  :sad:

Wow, that's a big tank! Good luck with the replacement bottom and check out the other seams too, it is a glasscages tank after all. They always seem to scare me. Have you priced out a PVC or Arcylic bottom like what A.G.E. uses?

I am probably going to wind up with glass but am intrigued about the PVC. It may be just as expensive as the glass but it would offer the extra comfort of not breaking if I drop a large piece of live rock from 3ft up.

Holy cow. I think I just saw your tank on TFT. I assume that's you guys? What a monster. Tell me you rented that truck and you didn't have that laying around at home... Good luck!

That truck may have just happened to have been sitting around.  :lol:

969460_10152905272295595_1580167452_n.jp

943294_10152905644765595_931492611_n.jpg

968941_10152905499505595_1387400656_n.jp