new smart phone

Mando77

switching from iphone 4 to either galaxy s 4 or htc one tomorrow. wanted to know if anyone has or prefers one over other and see if anyone has used with apex. i have read great things about both, but want the one that best fits my apex.

Galaxies are the best. I have the samsung note 2 and I love it. Beats iphones and all other phones hands down.

I dont know about the apex capability but I'm sure it'll do well.

Seems like either would do the apex well. The apex app is just a wrapper around a web browser. I got an HTC one last week, and it is by far the best one I've had. It has some unique neat things like very good low light photos and blinkfeed which I like and also Google zoes and video highlights to see another cool thing it does. Also it's machined from a piece of aluminum so it has no flex at all..feels really solid. Look up the anandtech review of them both. Very comprehensive.

I have an HTC Amaze that I'm going to replace with a Galaxy S4 one of these days. The Amaze is nice and takes really nice daylight photos. No real reason to switch other than I just want to try the Samsung one. I think you'll be happy with either one - like guns or cameras, put them both in your hands and see what fits best :)

I just pre-ordered my Galaxy S4 through Verizon. I saw the S3 in action and it was amazing.......I can only imagine what the S4 is going to be capable of.

I've always had HTC phones - and rooted them all to run custom ROMs. They've all been great. Never had a Samsung but I've heard the Galaxy is pretty nice. In fact, I was just looking at some a couple of days ago, toying with the idea of changing in the future.

I've had HTC phones for years. They are great. I currently have the galaxy s3 and it's also a good phone. I like the HTC UI better than Samsung's though.

For custom ROMS though, I think the Nexus is the phone to get.

Yep. S4 sounds like it's a great one. I prefer HTC and have rooted all of mine so far and run Cyanogen mod, but I think I will keep this HTC One stock.

The Samsung S4 v HTC One thing might be one of personal preference. Do you like the UI that Samsung puts over android better or do you like HTC Sense better? I wish Sense 5 exposed more of the options that I got used to on Cyanogen (with it's host of customization for vibrate, ring, notification, etc), and I have a couple of problems with the phone so far.

Google navigate uses the A2DP bluetooth protocol to give voice directions instead of HFP, so in my car I have to have the audio source set to bluetooth instead of FM in order to hear the directions). That might be a google thing, and not an HTC thing, though.

Facebook and maybe other apps seems to do auto-correct on the keyboard widget different from other apps. It detects if you tap on the left or right side of the letter, and automatically selects the letter to the left or right in the autocorrect instead of automatically selecting the one you actually typed. This causes me to be unable to type the word "I" in a comment even if you picked "i" and "i" popped up to show that you selected it, because when you hit space it replaces it with the "u" that it thought I might have meant to type. Very frustrating. Some apps don't do this, by the way, so it's interesting that individual apps can override the way that auto-correct works.

The lock screen and BlinkFeed give current weather, which I find less useful than daily forecast. I can observe current weather myself, but I can't predict what will happen in the future without NWS data. There doesn't seem to be a way to change the interface to show forecast instead of current conditions.

I'm glad to know that others here root their phones and run modded OS's.

The Galaxy Nexus was actually the phone I was considering picking up off ebay a couple of days ago (coincidentally). I've just not been by the XDA forum for that model enough to know what's available for it.

I've always been partial to the HTC Sense interface, but it does eat up CPU. Still, it's a great experience.

I use SwiftKey for my keyboard these days. Good autopredictor on it. Also, I've recently started using the keyboard swiping approach which takes a little getting used to but is surprisingly efficient.

A. Byrnes, I think that you'll like either phone. Android's cool and very capable.

I use swiftkey on my samsung too, love it. I have also have swype but have gotten away from it since i'm not in a rush usually when typing. swype is good when you only have 1 hand (or finger).

I use swiftkey on my samsung too, love it. I have also have swype but have gotten away from it since i'm not in a rush usually when typing. swype is good when you only have 1 hand (or finger).

Tried swype but was liking swiftkey more. Not sure if you're aware of it yet, but SwiftKey introduced a swiping feature that you can enable. So, you can get your Swiftkey and keyboard swiping in one app now.

Tried swype but was liking swiftkey more. Not sure if you're aware of it yet, but SwiftKey introduced a swiping feature that you can enable. So, you can get your Swiftkey and keyboard swiping in one app now.

Using it for the first time now! Very nice! I haven't used swype (it didn't get that word correctly, I wonder why) in a while so not sure how the recent updates have been but this has gotten every word right except one. And that was probably my fault! Thumb hurts now.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Apple has gotten boring and they have not change much of anything. I will be going with a s4 come June when I have an upgrade! I can't wait to change!

Apple has gotten boring and they have not change much of anything. I will be going with a s4 come June when I have an upgrade! I can't wait to change!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I upgraded from iphone to an S4 today. This thing is super fast and the camera is great. Tge iphone is blah compared to this

(edited)

Samsung Galaxy S4 buyers are getting much less storage than they pay for because the device is sold full of 'bloatware'.

Bloatware includes apps and files that are added to handsets by the manufacturers and networks before they are sold to customers.

The S4 is advertised as having 16GB of internal storage, yet because or these preinstalled apps, operating system files and network features, this is almost halved to 8.8GB.

Some of the preinstalled Samsung files are needed for its new features, such as eye tracking, air gestures and voice commands.

Others, however, are unnecessary or unwanted utility apps, games and the S Travel and S Health hubs.

To add insult to injury, many of these apps and hubs can't be removed.

It is common practice for phones and tablets to go on sale without the full amount of storage advertised because a certain amount is always taken up by the essential operating system files.

Yet this usually leaves around 70% to 80% of storage left, as is the case with the Google Nexus 7, for example.

HTC and Motorola handsets traditionally have 60% of space left after bloatware and system files are taken into account.

Samsung has responded to the criticisms about the S4's storage capacity.

Although, the reply just states what files are taking up the space, and advises people that a solution to the problem is to buy a MicroSD card if they want extra storage.

Samsung said: 'For the Galaxy S4 16 GB model, approximately 6.85 GB occupies the system part of internal memory, which is 1 GB bigger than that of the Galaxy S3, in order to provide a high resolution display and more powerful features to our consumers.

'To offer the ultimate mobile experience to our users, Samsung provides a microSD slot on Galaxy S4 for extension of memory.'

Bloatware is the name for any unwanted software or apps that are preinstalled onto phones, tablets, or computers.

As well as taking up space that can be used for photos and other personal files, bloatware can also slow down your device.

Bloatware can also refer to extras that come with wanted software including browser toolbars, desktop widgets or other unwanted additions.

Edited by sachabballi reef

^^That's one reason to root your phone and take control. Down with bloatware! :laugh:

Still, go ahead and add the microSD - 16 or 32 GB or whatever it can take. Android can run many apps out of SD, so it gives you tons of space (even if you want to keep the bloat).

Jenn, I had to LOL just for a bit. Do you work for motorola? :tongue:

The cell companies have a lot to do w/ bloatware as well, yes a disadvantage of android phones. I just move everything I can to a huge SD card. I put an alternate home app (not rooted...yet) that I can hide any unused apps...so there are ways to go around the bloat.

Yes. Like Jack said, it's the carriers, not the manufacturer, that bear the biggest responsibility for bloat. Verizon is terrible for bloat IMHO.

Jenn, I had to LOL just for a bit. Do you work for motorola? :tongue:

The cell companies have a lot to do w/ bloatware as well, yes a disadvantage of android phones. I just move everything I can to a huge SD card. I put an alternate home app (not rooted...yet) that I can hide any unused apps...so there are ways to go around the bloat.

god no...lol....i just happen to see the article and thought how appropriate....lol....