Did you move your livestock a great distance? How did u do it?

Jan

I need to plan ahead. We are going to sell our home; that's a given. Not sure if I'm going 5+ hours North or 10+ hours South. The entire setup is coming with me. No question about it. My concern are the corals and livestock. Has anyone moved their entire set up and livestock a great distance? How did you do it?

I moved the 92 corner mixed reef from Naples fl to leesburg va and didn't lose any livestock or coral or either anemone. Totally possible! And it took us almost 3 full days to drive up here with 3 dogs and 2 babies. Oh and we moved in the month of June lol...I used tons of containers with battery operated air and trailered the entire thing in a uhaul off our SUV.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I moved the 92 corner mixed reef from Naples fl to leesburg va and didn't lose any livestock or coral or either anemone. Totally possible! And it took us almost 3 full days to drive up here with 3 dogs and 2 babies. Oh and we moved in the month of June lol...I used tons of containers with battery operated air and trailered the entire thing in a uhaul off our SUV.

Wow, that's dedication.

I moved a system from Pensacola Fl. I did the move in about 30 hours total, wife refused to drive straight through. A friend who owned a Saltwater store bagged everything (corals, fish and inverts) with oxygen and everything went into Styro shipping boxes. Live Rock just went into tubs. Everything went into the back of my truck. I didn't lose anything.

Jan , interesting posting I will be following this one cause I will be probably moving to FL in the end of the year and I am definitely bringing my 90 g system with me .

Btw if you need any help when time comes you can count with me

Perfect! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

I moved a system from Pensacola Fl. I did the move in about 30 hours total, wife refused to drive straight through. A friend who owned a Saltwater store bagged everything (corals, fish and inverts) with oxygen and everything went into Styro shipping boxes. Live Rock just went into tubs. Everything went into the back of my truck. I didn't lose anything.

+1 Thank you.

Did you already have your tanks set up when you reached your destination, or was that travelling with you along with the livestock?

Jan, I'm gonna tag along too...we may be moving to fl or nm in 2 years and I was just planning on selling everything but my rock, now I'm contemplating keeping my favorites....and moving them with us ....

(edited)

I'll probably give a blow by blow and post pictures when the time comes, so please tag along.

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

I did not have mine preset up...I had rubbermaids of my old and new water and my live rock in the tank water. Just reassembled immediately when arrived

Edited by sachabballi reef

Jan, I'm gonna tag along too...we may be moving to fl or nm in 2 years and I was just planning on selling everything but my rock, now I'm contemplating keeping my favorites....and moving them with us ....

You're not going anywhere. You are going to grow to love it here and never want to leave :P

I'm looking at Suffolk County, NY and Palm Coast, FL. There's a huge difference between the two as far as property value, taxes and cost of living goes. Both have very good schools, are near the beach; which I miss and need terribly and they are not over crowded. Houses are not on top of each other.

Do you have the ability to have the receiving tank set up and cycled before you arrive?

I have moved my entire system twice. The first time everything made it with no issues... The second time I lost almost all my corals (fish/crabs were fine).

Here are the lessons I learned:

1. If possible it is best to have the tank set up at your new location before you get there. You dont have to have all the life support in place, but having the display filled with some water movement and LR will give you an advantage.
  2. Bag each coral individually. If you have large colonies put them in their own 5g bucket.
  3. Frag what you have and transport the frags in different buckets/vehicles (don't have all your eggs in one basket).
  4. Leave frags with someone here that you trust as a back up in case you lose any.
  5. Air pumps are great to have, but you can also stop every few hours and agitate the water by hand if you dont have the pumps.
  6. Coolers are a great way to transport livestock (individually bagged).
  7. Above all else, moving is a great time to UPGRADE :)

I moved in both the winter and summer, and should add that moving in the summer was much easier. My losses occured in part due to my not being able to provide a stable enough temp during transport (in the winter).

is there a way to keep the water on a stable temperature? is there any portable heater? Don't know if exists at all...??

You can plug a small heater into a DC power inverter. Also, you can use AC/Heat in the car.

That is a great question. Something that I've been bouncing around in my head for a couple of years now. I'm sure AVAST or someone else will invent something. I have a scetch I made but have no clue what to do with it, etc..

You can plug a small heater into a DC power inverter. Also, you can use AC/Heat in the car.

I should have added that if you use a good cooler to transport your livestock the water temp can be kept pretty stable. I had my fish in a cooler during my second trip and they were all doing fine when we arrived here. The corals, however made the ride in rubbermaid "totes" and almost everything was lost. If I was to do it again I would have put everything in an insulated cooler.

We are moving to Colorado at the beginning of July. Fortunately I only have a 14 and 8 gallon tanks to worry about. Planning 1 overnight stop 1/2 way at my mom's. The van has outlets in the back as well as a/c. most of my corals are encrusted/mounted to my LR so the play is to move the LR to a rubbermaid tub separated with plastic baskets and fish only in a separate small tub. both tubs will have small (50W) heaters and powerheads. When we get to my mom's the van goes in her garage and I'll do a 40-50% water change.

Won't have the opportunity to have a tank set up on the other end until we get there.

No idea how we will fare but I guess I'll find out...

I think this will also depend on the sensitivity of things you are moving.. softies and leathers should be fine, but then there is picky LPS and SPS which makes me worried (for jan... i have nothing picky in my tank,lol) and fish should be pretty easy too... maybe build a pvc structure and ziptie it together so it doesnt slide inside for the fish to hide in while moving...???

I say, sell everything and go much bigger at the new house. You could save your favorite pieces/fish and have a LFS ship it to you once you get to where your going. This is your chance to build the 300 gallon you want... :)