New 36 Bowfront set up any advice?

XxTech MoneyxX

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Hey Jason no big deal on the typos I do it all the time!

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

(edited)

I used to do blue for 9 hours and white for 7, and you will hear many different opinions on light cycle. I don't think you should leave your blues on all night.

Cleaner shrimp are awesome! I had one that would pi k deaf skin off from around my finger nails :) Just be careful if you have a scab because they will pick that right off ;)

Yeah, I think I will do better judging the lights after I get my first piece of coral in the tank Thursday night. Mr. Bowie is being very nice and giving me some blue mushroom coral and GSP Coral tomorrow, not sure where I will place it though... the tank still only has about 25lbs of LR... I really want to get some dry rock in there soon.

I will take a look at the things for sale forum; see if I can get lucky.

The cleaner shrimp gets scared in the morning when I walk by. lol he is pretty neat, I like how he continuously cleans himself, i.e. his antenna’s!

Going to do a W/C this evening, hoping to get those Nitrates down from 10... I did accidently add to much salt to the mix and need to lower the salinity BEFORE I add it in the tank. (Had about 2 gallons that was mixed in the bucket already) I've had it heating up since about 7:00pm last night in a 6 gallon bucket...(another thing I need to invest in is a Brute trash can) lol I’m coming along though, I will be set in due time!

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

Questions on feeding the Coral...

What do I feed them?

How often do I feed them?

And do ALL Coral eat the same food?

Leathers and mushrooms don't need fed...just don't have extremely clean tank water, other than that you'd don't put food to them...things like lps need some food like pellets or frozen mix and you can just squirt it onto them when their feeders are extended...

Leathers and mushrooms don't need fed...just don't have extremely clean tank water, other than that you'd don't put food to them...things like lps need some food like pellets or frozen mix and you can just squirt it onto them when their feeders are extended...

Oh wow... LFS (House of Tropicals) told me that the small leather coral I alomost purchased would have to have Calcium and Alk and they sold it as a package for 20 bucks.. he also told me that I'd also need to buy plankton to feed it, that was 20 or 30 bucks...? Thats why I didnt get it... Can you just feed ALL Coral Mysis Shrimp, liek the littel frozen cubes?

I know about the W/C replacing the trace Elements (I use the Reef Crystals) and I'm doing about 7 gallons every 2 weeks currently for my 36g.

Do you mind telling me the corals that need to have extra dosing of Calcium and Alk, that way I know ahead of time before I buy...? I know LPS, and SPS Coral need it, but Im only working with a T5 Lamp... so I know I can't have those in the tank...

I do a little reserarch on sites like Smith and Foster and look at each coral to see what they need but it never state how much it needs...?

Thank you.

Lps doesn't necessarily need dosing unless you have a lot and your water changes can't keep up...sps needs a lot of calcium depending on how many pieces you have so requires dosing if necessary (there are kits for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium which all work together for coral growth)

Leathers and mushrooms have a very low need for extreme calcium.. So no dosing as long as you are doing regular water changes...

And again...these do not need fed, mysis in and of itself is not the best food option for anything in your tank, you'll want to try a varied diet ....

Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful.

Oh boy... my outlook on this saltwater hobby just got scary!

So, the varied diet, does that depend on each type of coral you have?? If so, Im in trouble!

(edited)

It depends on the fish you have..you should not just feed mysis, to fish especially, you could probably get away with feeding most corals that throw out feeders mysis when they need fed, but I choose to feed my lps the same thing I feed my Fishes to make it easier on my wallet,lol

For fish you really need to find out if they are carnivores, herbivores or omnivores(the most common)

Edited by smallreef

so exciting!!!

Both will do great....best advice I can give you is to keep both of them on an "island" as they can each take over your tank....the mushrooms can multiply quickly (a great thing!) and they can float around your tank to be where they want to be....I used to have a mountain of them behind my LR when I first started out..one of them floated back there and before you knew it made some friends, literally.

Congrats on your real reefing start!

(edited)

so exciting!!!

Both will do great....best advice I can give you is to keep both of them on an "island" as they can each take over your tank....the mushrooms can multiply quickly (a great thing!) and they can float around your tank to be where they want to be....I used to have a mountain of them behind my LR when I first started out..one of them floated back there and before you knew it made some friends, literally.

Congrats on your real reefing start!

Funny Story

Yes, I'm very excited and scared at the same time! I mean, when I did my water change last night I was scared because I had never taken that much water out of the tank, and I forgot to unplug the powerheads, and protein skimmer and they scared the living you know what out of me!! (Newbie move I know, you can laugh)

I ended up taking out about 8 gallons and replenishing it, but my tank wasn't all the way full so I added about a gallon at long intervals, so that I would have an instant salinity/temp flux and kill the inverts... Saw the cleaner shrimp doing his usual when I woke up, so I must have done something right!

Thank you for the advice on the placement.. I was defiantly going to ask about that.. Although... I only can think of one piece of "loose" rock to put the GSP on....

I know exactly where I’m going to put the blue mushroom... I so happy!!!

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

The GSP are on a rock. I haven't done a water change in 8 months... You'll be fine, and if they die get some more.

you been hanging with Rob lately?

Another thing is depending on the coral you might need to target feed. We target feed each polyp on our Sun Coral and target feed our Aussie Elegance, Dendro, Duncan, and Plate Coral with Krill. The others get a mix of plankton and oyster feast or mysid

he doesn't need to feed GSP or mushrooms...don't panic him LOL

That is true I was talking other corals. LOL It is funny the one thing Pez and I can kill in a heartbeat is birdsnest but when it comes to harder coral we do awesome with it! :)

What I did when we started was look at the Live Aquaria specifications for each coral or fish to see if it would agree to our tank and get an idea of care for it. I did find that they are not always 100% right but for the most part a good guide.

The GSP are on a rock. I haven't done a water change in 8 months... You'll be fine, and if they die get some more.

8 months you can do that?

Another thing is depending on the coral you might need to target feed. We target feed each polyp on our Sun Coral and target feed our Aussie Elegance, Dendro, Duncan, and Plate Coral with Krill. The others get a mix of plankton and oyster feast or mysid

Thank you for your help Huly!

MY CLEANER SHRIMP DIED tonight :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Checked my levels and everything is normal.... had to be because of the water change last night... I thing my salinity fluxuated too fast... temp matched...

On a good note, I did pick up the blue mushnroom coral and GSP today. Thanks again Mike!

...with me putting that little couple of pieces of live rock that the coral are on in there will it cause the tank to go into another cycle??

I was so upset to see the cleaner shrimp go...he was so nice...... :cry: RIP Mr. cleaner shrimp.....

You are positive he died and didn't just molt? They hide after they molt until they harden back up again

No the rock the coral came on will not cycle you again as its live rock already from an established tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

And your salinity should match to what you have in the tank....make new water at 1.025-1.035 depending n what your current water is at and match the temp...then all you are doing is changing out dirty water for clean....no difference and no fluctuations....

+1 I think it's a molt...my shrimp and crabs usually molt a day or 2 after a water change as there is some iodine in the salt mix which propels that....