Tank drilling help

PK3

Just to give a little background, I am not a DIYer by any means and don't know much about plumbing. With that said, are there any experienced tank drillers out there that are willing to help drill my tank for me? I'm looking to make 4 holes in a 40b (two 1.5" drains for a 1500gph glass-holes.com overflow and two 3/4" returns from a mag 7) and one 3/4" drain in a 10g. I am willing to provide compensation in cash, food/beer, or anything else your heart desires (well, almost anything). I've seen videos and everyone says how easy it is (and it does look easy), but I just don't have the courage to do it on my own. I would be forever in your debt. Thanks!

Peter

I am in a similar situation. Got a 55G at Petco's dollar a gallon and would like to get it drilled too.

Let's see what response you get, otherwise we can maybe share the cost of the drill bit and so it our selves. I do have the drill, etc.

When do you need it done? If you bring it by I can drill those for you. I have both those size bits that you need.

May be you can set up a "drilling station" at this Sunday's meeting .... trade a drilled hole for a beer ? :cool:

When do you need it done? If you bring it by I can drill those for you. I have both those size bits that you need.

I am fairly flexible in terms of timing since I'm in no rush. Plus I still need to order the complete overflow kit. Glass-holes says that the 1.5" bulkhead needs a 2-3/8" hole and the 3/4" bulkhead needs a 1-1/2" hole. Not sure if that changes anything.

May be you can set up a "drilling station" at this Sunday's meeting .... trade a drilled hole for a beer ? :cool:

Hahahaha, he's either going to be leaving the meeting hammered or the tanks drilled at the end will be in serious jeopardy of being cracked.

The glassholes kits usually come with the correct bit and template, which makes it cleaner. Without a template, it will jump around and go ham until it catches. It's fairly simple. I recommend a second hand to pour water while drilling to cool the glass/bit.,

The glassholes kits usually come with the correct bit and template, which makes it cleaner. Without a template, it will jump around and go ham until it catches. It's fairly simple. I recommend a second hand to pour water while drilling to cool the glass/bit.,

Oh, that's right. Makes it easier.

I'm looking at their return kits - what's the difference between an Insert Ell and a Street Ell? And which one do I want?

I'm getting some help with drilling my full tank sometime soon. You could swing by my place if the people that offered help don't mind helping you drill yours at the same time.

Street ell has male on one end, female on the other. Standard is both female ends.

Caution on drilling the all-glass tanks: many of those smaller tanks use tempered glass and that, while it can be drilled, is very prone to cracking.

While a drill can be used with a guide, I've found a real drill press to be the best bet... they don't dance around at all.

I'm getting some help with drilling my full tank sometime soon. You could swing by my place if the people that offered help don't mind helping you drill yours at the same time.

When is this happening?

Street ell has male on one end, female on the other. Standard is both female ends.

Caution on drilling the all-glass tanks: many of those smaller tanks use tempered glass and that, while it can be drilled, is very prone to cracking.

While a drill can be used with a guide, I've found a real drill press to be the best bet... they don't dance around at all.

Thanks for info. I got the Aqueon 40b from Petco during the $1/gal sale. From what I've read, only the bottom of these tanks are tempered.

I am in a similar situation. Got a 55G at Petco's dollar a gallon and would like to get it drilled too.

Let's see what response you get, otherwise we can maybe share the cost of the drill bit and so it our selves. I do have the drill, etc.

Thanks for info. I got the Aqueon 40b from Petco during the $1/gal sale. From what I've read, only the bottom of these tanks are tempered.

Actually, according to the latest spec sheet linked on the Aqueon website, the 40B bottom isn't tempered, but the 55G bottom is. The specsheet doesn't mention anything about the sides or back, but conventional wisdom is that 55G tanks tend to be tempered all around.

sheet here:

http://www.aqueonpro...s/011/19107.pdf

Sorry for the stupid questions, but is a holesaw the same thing as a drill bit?

A diamond hole saw is a circular shaped saw that fits in a drill. It's basically cup shaped with no centering drill that would be on a wood version. For little holes you can use those spade-shaped ones from Lowes.

Actually, according to the latest spec sheet linked on the Aqueon website, the 40B bottom isn't tempered, but the 55G bottom is. The specsheet doesn't mention anything about the sides or back, but conventional wisdom is that 55G tanks tend to be tempered all around.

Thanks for the info, looks like I won't take the chance on drilling my 55G.

I'm coming to the meeting on Sunday. I have some polarizing lenses and an iPad that can be kind of used to check if glass is tempered. We could test it out at least.

I also have 35mm, 45mm, and 60mm diamond hole saws for drilling holes 3/4", 1", and 1-1/2" ABS bulkheads from BRS respectively. I have a template from glass-holes for drilling a 45mm hole, but not the others.

If someone can bring one of those clamp-on templates that they sell at BRS or some other kind of holding device I can bring my battery powered drill and a squirt bottle for dropping water on it and we can do a drill-fest. Don't actually need a template if you just start grinding sideways to get a groove and then rotate it upright. I have plumbers putty too to make a dam to hold water.

I don't warranty the results, but the sale is still going on if your $40 or $55 aquarium cracks. :cool:

It sounds like the meeting has kind of a full agenda with two speakers, but I'm fine with bringing the stuff if the club leadership is fine with a spot for hole drilling. There will be lots of people there who have done it before to help drive the drill. :clap:

Edited by AlanM

I don't warranty the results, but the sale is still going on if your $40 or $55 aquarium cracks. :cool:

I bought 2 40b's for this exact reason! Although I would obviously prefer being successfully on the first one. Haha.

I also have 35mm, 45mm, and 60mm diamond hole saws for drilling holes 3/4", 1", and 1-1/2" ABS bulkheads from BRS respectively. I have a template from glass-holes for drilling a 45mm hole, but not the others.

Do you happen to have a 38mm diamond hole saw?

I bought 2 40b's for this exact reason! Although I would obviously prefer being successfully on the first one. Haha.

Nice. There you go. Lets do it at the meeting if the club leadership doesn't care.

Edited by AlanM

When is this happening?

Well, I haven't received my overflow in the mail yet so I'm thinking late next week or next weekend at the earliest.

Do you happen to have a 38mm diamond hole saw?

sorry, no. That's not one that BRS carries. What would that be for?