Nitrates in Reef Crystals or just a dirty container?

Curtis Scott

(edited)

I have been having cyano issues ever since I slightly crashed my tank and RTN'd mostly all of my SPS using GE Silicon II. I got a hanna phosphate checker (low range) to check my tank for phosphates, and the results were 0.

Moving along to the next suspect, Nitrates. I tested them last friday before adding a unit of Chemi Pure Elite to my system. I had a reading of about 5ppm from a Salifert test kit. Then I tested my RODI water (still has 0 TDS) and the results were 0ppm for Nitrates. The freshly mixed saltwater with Reef Crystals salt is testing at .5ppm.

I notice that Reef Crystals leaves a powdery/hard calcium type residue on my 32G rubber maid container, so I've decided to clean it out with some vinegar today and run a fresh batch to test it again and see what I get. Hoping that resolves this issue.

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing using Reef Crystals? I know that some have had very high readings of Nitrates with bad batches in the past, but I'm thinking that the residue is maybe causing this.

Edited by Curtis Scott

I get a residue using RC salt as well, however I would be willing to bet that all mixes will leave some type or residue in the mixing container.

As an aside, many times a tank will have high phosphates and have no readings on a test kit simply because the nutrient is actively consumed. If you have a bad cyno problem I would wager that it is up taking any phosphates, thus leading to the 0 reading. Do you grow macro algae, or run a skimmer?

Personally, I don’t think that 5ppm is all that bad when it comes to nitrates, but I am no legendary SPS keeper either :).

(edited)

I get a brown residue that I wash out about once a month from RC. I am a firm believer that the tank needs a little nutrients so for me that number is fine...I even am happy with 0.03 in phosphate as when I'm at zero on all my corals aren't seemingly as happy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sachabballi reef

It's my experience that ANY salt you mix up and leave for an extended period of time, (more than 2-3 weeks) will do this.

It's my experience that ANY salt you mix up and leave for an extended period of time, (more than 2-3 weeks) will do this.

not sure as I empty my container every week...I think its just something in the mix that precipitates

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I only leave mine mixed for 48 hrs max and i notice a residue after just one water change....

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I get a residue using RC salt as well, however I would be willing to bet that all mixes will leave some type or residue in the mixing container.

As an aside, many times a tank will have high phosphates and have no readings on a test kit simply because the nutrient is actively consumed. If you have a bad cyno problem I would wager that it is up taking any phosphates, thus leading to the 0 reading. Do you grow macro algae, or run a skimmer?

Personally, I don’t think that 5ppm is all that bad when it comes to nitrates, but I am no legendary SPS keeper either :).

Thanks. I am running a CS1 skimmer. I just really want to get this cyano under control.

I get a brown residue that I wash out about once a month from RC. I am a firm believer that the tank needs a little nutrients so for me that number is fine...I even am happy with 0.03 in phosphate as when I'm at zero on all my corals aren't seemingly as happy.

I think I will start washing mine out once a month as well. Once I get rid of this cyano, I'll start growing some chaeto to help keep it under control.

I try to use mine within a week at least.

not sure as I empty my container every week...I think its just something in the mix that precipitates

I've heard the Tropic Marin Pro doesn't leave this residue, but that salt is too expensive.

I only leave mine mixed for 48 hrs max and i notice a residue after just one water change....

I like this idea, so I think I'll stick to this moving forward and clean the bucket at the beginning every month.

Thanks everyone!

You are more then likely using your PHOSPHORUS checker incorrectly

if you are getting a 0 reading with the low range model.

5ppm nitrates in a small water change batch is really a minor amount.

Use a different brand test kit to cross check your results. I'm mixing RC with well water and don't get levels that high.

How old is the tank? It could be a cycle. I also had the same problem on my last tank change and used some phosban in a filter sock and it cleared up in a week or so.

You are more then likely using your PHOSPHORUS checker incorrectly

if you are getting a 0 reading with the low range model.

5ppm nitrates in a small water change batch is really a minor amount.

I agree 5ppm nitrates is not too bad, but could also contribute to the cyano right? Also, I do think it's a phosphate checker unless BRS has it titled wrong on their site: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hanna-checker-phosphate-colorimeter.html?gclid=CMSRnOmhr7YCFYbc4AodWV8A1A

I even watched this video -

and followed the instructions very closely and still only get zeros. However I do get a very high reading from my TAP so I know the checker works. Test results were confirmed with my Salifert test kit to be zero also, that's why I purchased the Hanna thinking I could get a more accurate reading. Do you have any other resources I could view to make sure I'm doing the test right?

Use a different brand test kit to cross check your results. I'm mixing RC with well water and don't get levels that high.

For the Nitrate test kit I just bought a Salifert and don't have access to another one currently but I would think it would be accurate. I can visibly see some light pink from this test saltwater, however right from the RODI there is no color at all.

If you want some Cheato I always have some ready to go. Let me know when you are ready to start your own ball and it is yours.

I do appreciate the offer! But I'm all the way in Centreville and wouldn't be able to make it out that way any time soon. I'm hoping some one in or closer to Centreville has some that is pest free they could give me a small golf ball size clipping of. Will post this request in another thread later.

How old is the tank? It could be a cycle. I also had the same problem on my last tank change and used some phosban in a filter sock and it cleared up in a week or so.

The tank has been up for over about 3 1/2 years and the cyano ever since I about crashed the tank back in Sept 2012, but lately it is getting out of control even with larger water changes. Hoping the Chemi Pure Elite will help clear it up very soon.

Almost, if not all, salt mixes have trace impurities including ammonia and nitrates. Normally it's not high enough to be of much concern as our biological filters deal with it very quickly. 0.5 ppm Nitrates is extremely low. I would not indict your RC for your observed cyano.

• 6 months later...

I have been having cyano issues ever since I slightly crashed my tank and RTN'd mostly all of my SPS using GE Silicon II. I got a hanna phosphate checker (low range) to check my tank for phosphates, and the results were 0.

Moving along to the next suspect, Nitrates. I tested them last friday before adding a unit of Chemi Pure Elite to my system. I had a reading of about 5ppm from a Salifert test kit. Then I tested my RODI water (still has 0 TDS) and the results were 0ppm for Nitrates. The freshly mixed saltwater with Reef Crystals salt is testing at .5ppm.

I notice that Reef Crystals leaves a powdery/hard calcium type residue on my 32G rubber maid container, so I've decided to clean it out with some vinegar today and run a fresh batch to test it again and see what I get. Hoping that resolves this issue.

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing using Reef Crystals? I know that some have had very high readings of Nitrates with bad batches in the past, but I'm thinking that the residue is maybe causing this.

I just stumbled onto this thread by doing a google search because I'm having the exact same issue.  5ppm nitrates coming from my bucket of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals that I just noticed and was looking for similar stories.  What's interesting though, is I found your post is the exact same issue and you live on the eastern shore.  Did you happen to get the salt from PacificEast as well? Wondering if its the batch itself.

Have you happened to contact Instant ocean?

I just stumbled onto this thread by doing a google search because I'm having the exact same issue.  5ppm nitrates coming from my bucket of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals that I just noticed and was looking for similar stories.  What's interesting though, is I found your post is the exact same issue and you live on the eastern shore.  Did you happen to get the salt from PacificEast as well? Wondering if its the batch itself.

Have you happened to contact Instant ocean?

Why not try a different test kit with better accuracy? LaMotte low range nitrate is a great test kit.