removing scratches from glass

astroboy

I have a 75 gallon I'll be taking down soon which has some scratches I'd like to buff or polish out, if that's possible. The scratches are deep enough that you can barely feel them with your fingernail, if you're careful.

Does anyone have any experience or insight with this.

Thanks,

Mark

You don't want to do it. Between the time and materials, you would spend less selling that tank to someone with the scratches known and buying a used tank without scratches. We had someone come remove some scratches from a Rolls Royce Phantom windshield (two of them around 3 long) and it took around four hours with a DA sander and random compounds to get perfect. If you can feel them with your nail, ditch the tank or replaced the glass panel.

You don't want to do it. Between the time and materials, you would spend less selling that tank to someone with the scratches known and buying a used tank without scratches. We had someone come remove some scratches from a Rolls Royce Phantom windshield (two of them around 3 long) and it took around four hours with a DA sander and random compounds to get perfect. If you can feel them with your nail, ditch the tank or replaced the glass panel.

OT - you work at a bodyshop? PM me if so.

In terms of removing scratches check with Fazio. He had this done.

OT - you work at a bodyshop? PM me if so.

In terms of removing scratches check with Fazio. He had this done.

Fazio92 had his tank buffed mostly for haze as I recall. He and I tried buffing it with a felt bob and cerium oxide. It was long and labor intensive, and unsuccessful. It pays to have the right equipment. Still, if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, then it's often better just to replace the glass.

(Sent from my phone)

From my experience, its not worth the time and/or money to try and fix....you might end up spending more money to fix it than a brand new tank costs.

-Anthony

i was successful with an angle grinder on a 120g tank with 2-4" long scratches using cerium oxide off ebay but like everyone said it was labor intensive and not fun. it was in pretty bad shape and i just wanted to get it more presentable for the future owner and ended up spending about 2-3 days on just three of four scratches for it to come out right and smooth.

I've done it many times for clients. Even with the right equipment a three inch scratch can take 2 hrs. If you can get a finger nail in the scratch, triple that. Then there is the distortion factor. Not worth doing I. Most cases.