Need Help!

DBL

Hi everyone, I need help something is definitely happening in my tank and I dont know what is. I have attach pictures to help you guys see what Im talking about. My SPS have lost their color and so have my acans, I have lost two acans already and im loosing my frogspawns heads, I can see tiny black spots in the tips of the frogspawns on a couple of heads yesterday and today I see it on 3 more. What can it be? and if someone knows how can I fix it the problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tank is 120 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and a 30 refugium.

Parameters:

Cal 440

Alk 8.4

Mag 1290

Phos .10 (im working on it I know is high)

PH 8

Nitrate 10 (down from 25 3 days ago)

Temp 78

I did a 13 gallon water change yesterday and I will do another one tomorrow.

post-2633332-0-11911200-1364256978_thumb.jpg

post-2633332-0-20901700-1364257000_thumb.jpg

post-2633332-0-09390500-1364257023_thumb.jpg

post-2633332-0-52243100-1364257047_thumb.jpg

post-2633332-0-98018200-1364257069_thumb.jpg

post-2633332-0-89824900-1364257100_thumb.jpg

post-2633332-0-41092000-1364257129_thumb.jpg

post-2633332-0-00359800-1364257190_thumb.jpg

post-2633332-0-26239700-1364257209_thumb.jpg

No i dont have on but no is not that, i had my hand in the tank a few times today and i didnt feel anything.

Buy a grounding probe

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Wonder if the phosphates are actually higher than the measurement you are taking?

What is your salinity?

Have you done anything different to the tank recently? Different foods, meds, dosing, new pumps, any changes at all might help figure it out.

Salinity is 1.023

I did get a new heater like two weeks ago, and its working fine, jow can I tell if that has change anything?

I have started to feed krill like two weeks and added a like 3 frags last week and thats about it.

I saw something similar before. It had something to do with the reef crystal salt mix. everything in the tank turned white. what are you using and how are the other corals looks?

Wonder if the phosphates are actually higher than the measurement you are taking?

What is your salinity?

Have you done anything different to the tank recently? Different foods, meds, dosing, new pumps, any changes at all might help figure it out.

I use hannas checkers to check for phosphate and salifer for everything else. Do you recommend to try something else?

How long has the tank been running?

What corals were added last week?

What fish do u have in there?

Are u dosing anything like a carbon source or GFO?

And what is you weekly maintenance schedule?

I saw something similar before. It had something to do with the reef crystal salt mix. everything in the tank turned white. what are you using and how are the other corals looks?

I use (i have only use since I started the tank) RC. I do a 10% water change every week. Corals had always look good until a week ago my acans started loosing color and the some sps and now my frogspawns.

Do a larger water change and maybe run some carbon. Do you dose anything at all? How new are your lights. I'd take another look at phosphates and nitrates.

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

I will do a 25 gallon change tonight or tomorrow morning.

I use 4 DIF-50 (50 watts) from Orphek

2 of them are on from 1 to 9:30pm

2 of them are on from 3:30 to 7:30pm

I used to run them for almost 10 hours until 3 weeks ago when I started to see they started loosing some colors. I ran them for 10 hours a day for 4-5 months and never notice anything negative (To me it looked like the corals like the light thats why I ran them that long) but I cut back to see if that help but nothing positive yet.

I also disconnected my refugium from the main tank (i have a power head and a heater to keep it going, hope its enough or should I have something else in there?) I did this because my refugium is in the storage and HVAC area and maybe some screw or something metal fell in there and I looked but didnt see anything. I will take everything out and double check again to be safe.

Thanks to everyone that has posted

If u suspect metal, get a poly filter. Not sure what color it will change if there is metal in the water

Good idea. I will pick one up on my way home today.

Do a larger water change and maybe run some carbon. Do you dose anything at all? How new are your lights. I'd take another look at phosphates and nitrates.

No i dont really dose everything since the parameters stay pretty much the same if I need to I will dose whatever is low. For example I would have dose the magnesium since is a little low but I wont since i will do the water change.