DI

GaryL

if you are starting a group order, you may want to check with Chip and Eriks, I believe they bought similar DI and membrane filters before for their RO/DI units. Also, check out airwaterice.com, they might have what you are looking. Good luck.

I don't believe I've ever heard of a place local that sells bulk DI resin (though I do have a vague recollection of someone mentioning it - I believe it was Paul, ages ago).

I purchased mine from BuckeyeFieldSupply - they sell bulk DI resin (airwaterice sells bulk kits but I can't find just the resin). Each 5lb bulk order is enough to fill a 10" cartridge about 4 times (if I'm tracking it right) - $38.99

I just put my last refill in place & I'm looking to order more. I've sent an email to Buckeye & will do the same for AWI - we'll see who has the lowest price.

Also, since you started the thread - I have an extra re-fillable DI cartridge (10") so you'd just need the DI (no real sense in having two - takes minutes to re-fill one).

Guest mikesroth

You might wanna try to get ahold of the people at:

Sea Save

They are a new(ish) store up in Glen Burnie. They sounded as if they had a good supply source for RO/DI filters and such. Of course having never bought any refills for my RO/DI yet, they might not be such a good price. :blush:

anyone know were i can get refillable DI cartridges locally without having to order online? TIA

41251[/snapback]

Were you just asking for the cartridges, not the DI resin? If yes, I have a couple extras. Make me an offer I can't refuse... :lol:

s

the one I use is the one AWI sells. I have the replace DI filter, that I believe can not be open to change the resin. If someone is buying from AWI let me know I will like to join and perhaps lower the shipment cost.

Jacob

Which exact product do we use? Any good ideas on splitting it up? (messy & very light = tough to weigh out etc.)

41323[/snapback]

Eric,

Some time ago I believe chideloh ordered from these guys and split it up. In terms of storage, I think the stuff is good for two years provided you keep it damp and ideally in the dark. So... a zip lock baggie in a covered container would probably do it. I think the "stuff" is MB-1. I would imagine 52 lbs. might top a lot of us refillable DI users off for a while.

Thanks for the info Dave - that's the one I guessed. "MB" (mixed bed). 60% Anion & 40% cation.............I'm guessing that's the generally available "mixed bed DI resin"?

Truthfully I can't tell the difference, besides price. Some list "nuclear" grade but they all produce water to 18.2/.3 megohm???

Wish I knew for certain what's what :lol:

Once we get the right product I'll start a thread in the members section. Based on my experience w/ Buckeye.........5lbs fills the cartridge 4 times which lasts me just under a year. I figure if we get 5 people involved that's roughly 10lbs each, should be enough for two years. 10lbs should fit in 4 1 gallon zip lock bags????

I'd be in as well for bulk resin- I would hate to have more than 4-5 refills on hand though. If we get enough - 5 lbs each, sounds about right.

Can I used my current DI filter/canister and put new resin in it? Or do I need to buy a new empty canister?

Only you can tell for certain - can you take the unit apart? If yes then I'd assume it's re-fillable.

Jake-

You'll have to check it to see if it's a refillable filter or not. Take it out and check to see if the top screws off or not. But be gentle......I wouldn't want to be blamed for you breaking your filter!

Steve

I checked and does not look to be refillable. It is a encased unit, and looks like I need to replace it as one unit. Where can I buy a canister and container so that I can refill with resin instead of depending on this company to buy my DI filter everytime I need one?

You can get the add-on units pretty much anywhere. Lowes sells the cannisters (probably a bit more $$$ but with shipping???). You can also get a larger rack to accomodate the new unit....or....just get a standalone bracket for it (or none at all).

RO/DI units are pretty much like legos - plug them up however you want.

AirWaterIce & BuckeyeFieldSupply - both reputable. I used to order everything from Aquatic Reef Systems but it's my understanding that the owner (John) is in poor health & the company is having a difficult time meeting orders (too bad, they were great).

I'd simply go with price, both are very good companies. A quick check @ AWI shows the add-on DI for $48.............buckeye is $28 (+ the refillable unit).

Buckeye is slightly better for individual parts.