Wade's new 180 - to be sps dominated tank

wade

50 lbs of rock and 10lbs of rubble arriving from Premium Aquatics today.  Hopefully I will be able to do the aquascaping today/tomorrow and put some pics up.  

FYI: UPS claims to be in a one day ground delivery zone from Indiana... its more like 1.5.  Should be plenty fine for the rock though.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some early rockwork from base rock... this one (not the best pic, but enough to show my intent) uses some old 'lace rock' that I had from a cichlid tank (its hardened/dense limestone) cemented to some of the highly porous Carib Sea base rock.

I created a shelf that sticks out around 15" from a small pile of rock. The blue tape is the tank footprint so I can try to visualize how much space things will occupy.

Still using this? I love the concept!

I am using it. That will occupy the right side of the tank.  Here are some crappy cell phone pics to show it (there's a lot of microbubbles and haze from the sand suspended in it at the moment).

From the front high and low, from the side high and low.

PS- Just got in my rock from Premium Aquatics. Very nice!! No odor at all. Lots of corraline. Big pieces. Two thumbs up to Jeremy @ PA.

post-2632297-0-54162100-1369936732_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-97794400-1369936737_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-19088800-1369936743_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-64601600-1369936749_thumb.jpg

More cell phone pictures. This is the aquascaping so far. Still not convinced the left side is all that great. Looks like a jumble of rocks, although I did make some nice tunnels and you can see sand inside the pile.

post-2632297-0-73225000-1370041823_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-49096600-1370041834_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-50487300-1370041841_thumb.jpg

Frags due in on Friday!  Here are a few of them:

Red Envy Acan  

NR%20MA2239%2034%20Red%20Envy%20Acan%20l

New Release Aussie Peridot Shimmer Acan

NR%20A1947%2029%20Aussie%20Peridot%20Shi

Neon Orange Pavona maldivensis

91%20Neon%20Orange%20Pavona%20maldivensi

Metallic Tangerine Plate  (not a frag, nor propagant, but it might be in the future)

HP%20M2727%2069%20Metallic%20Tangerine%2

Rainbow Montipora

F%20MA3053%2029%20Rainbow%20Montipora_sm

Blue Teal Acorpora

F%20MA2922%2024%20Blue%20Teal%20Acropora

Rainbow Montipora

F%20MA2867%2029%20Rainbow%20Montipora_sm

Yellow Green Acropora

F%20MA2807%2029%20Yellow%20Green%20Acrop

Double Green Acropora

F%20MA1122%2024%20Double%20Green%20Acrop

I will also be picking up 2 frags from rocko918! WOOT!

• 2 months later...

I have! Took a week off for vacation and now work has me pinned to the floor gasping for air.

Tank is doing well.. I had an ugly outbreak of some sort of stringy algae that resembled byropsis but was tan/brown and got really long.  I have it under control now and its nearly gone, but its making my skimmer work overtime to get rid of it.  I have a monkey-engineered topoff system right now (5g bucket with a powerhead in it) that needs to be replaced and I still need to set up my Ca reactor, but otherwise its cruising along.  Was waiting on the issue to settle before picking up any more livestock.

Getting great growth on the corals so far too, although the colors are still trying to decide where to settle. I get lots of blues/light purples and not much by way or red/pink colors so far with these LEDs.   I should work on getting a few pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread, outstanding scape. Pics coming soon I hope :clap: :clap:

I've seen it in person and its extremely well scaped!! Gorgeous tank

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ZOMG. The peer pressure!  I'll try to get some today, but I warn you... my brown hair algae is still visible and ugly, although receding fast.  Maybe I'll do a short video to show the whole thing.

FWIW - The South Seas base rock (I am fairly certain) was the main reason that this algae got the foothold it did.  Even though I soaked it for well over a month and used lanthanum chloride on it, i still has embedded phosphates.  You will see in the pics later that I also have some form of macro algae that has started up... its on stalks and has small flat structure on it (like a little leaf).  It looks like the Galax you find in the Appalachian Mtns, but smaller ... and in my tank.  I've never had it before in my dozen years of reef keeping.

Tank currently has a Tomini bristletooth tang, yellow tang, 2x female Genicanthus melanospilos - spotbreasts, and 3 fire shrimp... plus some fuzzy sticks.

Get some close up pics of that algae, Wade. If like to see if it's in an algae book that I have. Sounds unusual.

Sent from my phone

I really have no idea what it is.  If it is Udotea, it is a very early stage.  Each is only about 1cm tall and the "leaf" is only a couple mm across.  The lights don't come on and get bright until after lunch, but I'm working at home today so I'll get a picture for everyone.  They are ALL over the non-live rock... the base rock and lace rock that I used.  I don't mind them, they won't interfere with anything unlike the brown hair algae that happened at the same time.

Here is a picture I just took... the flash blanches everything out a bit, but you can see them fairly well.

These originate from the rock (not on my live rock, only on the base rock).  They terminate in the lillypad like structre on top.  I cannot tell for certain, but it looks as though each has a little "tuft" of thin fluff sticking off of it as well.  This stuff is all over the tank where the base rock is exposed to the light.  They also seem to have come in in a single wave and haven't spread since.

Any ideas?

post-2632297-0-43344100-1376663805_thumb.jpg

I found the quote on wikipedia amusing... 

"Acetabularia species occasionally make their way into the aquarium trade. They are generally considered to be more difficult or unappealing macroalgae to care for in the reef aquarium ... as they are delicate, readily eaten by herbivorous fish, grow slowly, and do not have the high nutrient uptake that reef aquarium refugium species"

My stupid tangs apparently need to wake up and smell the Acetabularia.

Don't feel bad none of my tangs or rabbit fish eat anything that my hand doesn't put in the tank... they don't even fake a rock pick here and there to appease me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

(edited)

Ended up just taking some pictures and the lights are already going down and turning blue, but it gives you a sense of the aquascaping at least.

From the front:

wholetank_aug13.jpg

From the right side:

rightside_aug13.jpg

From the left side:

leftside_aug13.jpg

It doesn't really show how the cuts go into and under the rockwork on the left.  There's a large shelf in the middle and there are 2 holes at the base leading into and under the pile.  The shrimp and fish hang out in that space often.  You can also get a sense of how much of this new macroalgae has sprouted in the tank.

Edited by wade

• 2 weeks later...