Dendros / Peacock Mantis Shrimp Species Tank

Omair

I'm planning to downgrade to a small tank since my future looks pretty tansient with the recent government cut backs. As such, partly inspired by Rob, I would like to do a species specific tank.

I've always been fascinated with inverts within our hobby. Urchins, Hermits, Shrimp - the list is endless. One species that I am particularilty interested in is the Peacock Mantis Shrimp. These little guys can grow up to 6"-7" (in captivity!). They have quite a bit of color to them as well as a quirky personality. Unfortunately, they are pretty hard to find. Most people consider them to be a pest in a full blown reef so many wholesalers do not try to stock them.

Fortunately, a local WAMAS member needs to cut down on the number of tanks in his house - which leaves me in a good position to ****** up a beautiful Peacock Mantis Shrimp.

shrimp_1561371c.jpg

My plan is to keep Non-Photosynthetic Corals with the Peacock Mantis Shrimp. These guys live in the deep dark. They rarely, if ever, have long periods of time under bright lights. As such, their carapace can develop complications if you keep these guys under coral growth LED/MH/T5's.

Some corals from Divers Den that I plan to keep:

th-030513-002a.jpg th-021913-542.jpg th-020113-022a.jpg

.. and other fat head Dendros.

g-10-12669699785654_lg.png

I've tried researching what corals/livestock are associated with the environment that these creatures live in. So far I have found that certain mushrooms and NPS corals are appropriate. I do not know what other livestock these guys are associated with though. I was told mid range, active fish would be fine - any suggestions?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude anything you put in that tank will be popped/hammered by the mantis. I have a couple dendros that even though were not eaten but they were destroyed by the mantis being curious.

Be aware that NPS tanks can be really hard to keep and require a lot of work (from what ive read).. they are beautiful and unique, but not cheap or easy.. the other thing with the Peacock is IMO they usually hide a lot.

dude anything you put in that tank will be popped/hammered by the mantis. I have a couple dendros that even though were not eaten but they were destroyed by the mantis being curious.

Thanks for the heads up. I knew that they like to reaquascape quite a bit but I didn't realize that they are prone to destroying the coral as well. :(

Put the mantis in first with a few pieces of live rock. Allow him to move things around and then when he finally done slowly but surely add some NPS. While you are adding NPS give him some food to let him know this is food not that....

:why: :why:

Edited by kjamaya

My chiragra loved specific colors (purple and a few others) but this led him to only bother certain things - like a deep purple feather duster i thought would be safe. Worm fine, feathers gone... Brown/white feather dusters all fine. He also arranged different colored marbles all around the tank in different places. I guess it all depends on how your mantis wants to decorate!

That said this is a fantastic idea and can't wait to see it!

Marbles? What an awesome idea! Haha, I'm definitely going to try to see what my peacock can do with different colored marbles.

Thank you for the above suggestion kjamaya; I'll definitely hold off on any coral placement for awhile until he's nice and comfortable in his new home.

take everything out of the tank that's breakable. esp. glass heaters and thermometers. They really do just get curious and smash things open to see what's inside I guess. I think it may have to do with keeping their hammers in top shape though. They probably go soft if not used.

Also, any fish you have in there will be at the least, unnerved once they discover their roommate. When I had one in my display (via hitchhiking) all my fish stayed on the opposite side of the tank and only ventured over to his side for a quick swim by to grab some food. Damsels might be good choice. Certainly nothing that lives in the sand or is particularly passive.

Edited by Integral9

Can more than 1 be kept together?

They might last a week or two, but eventually they will try to kill each other. Even mated pairs aren't a safe bet. Natural born predators.

As usual, this thread is filling up with old wives tales and fish legends.

From experience, I have kept a M/F pair of Peacock Mantis Shrimps that were 5" and 7" together in a full blown reef tank with corals, fish, and inverts. The Peacocks never ate a fish or destroyed anything except hermits and snails, and would even eat from my hand. At times, they were docile enough to be be petted by me, but at other times they were certainly aggressive. These are smashing shrimps and if you taunt them with things, they will attempt to smash and stun it as if it were prey. They need good hiding places and lots of small rubble so they can build tunnels and caves. I had this particular pair for about a year before being sold to someone else.

I have had a total of 4 of these shrimps and all were in reef tanks. Easy.

Really rob thanks great. Glad to hear you put 5-7" peakcock mantis in your reefs. I was wondering how you won tank of the month on reef central. Oh wait err wamas. My bad... chive on bro.

As usual, this thread is filling up with old wives tales and fish legends.

From experience, I have kept a M/F pair of Peacock Mantis Shrimps that were 5" and 7" together in a full blown reef tank with corals, fish, and inverts. The Peacocks never ate a fish or destroyed anything except hermits and snails, and would even eat from my hand. At times, they were docile enough to be be petted by me, but at other times they were certainly aggressive. These are smashing shrimps and if you taunt them with things, they will attempt to smash and stun it as if it were prey. They need good hiding places and lots of small rubble so they can build tunnels and caves. I had this particular pair for about a year before being sold to someone else.

I have had a total of 4 of these shrimps and all were in reef tanks. Easy.

Rob, how big was the tank? Did each of the peacocks have their own caves or did they share?

They were in a 90g tank and lived at opposite ends. There were also a breeding pair of clowns and a big Niger Triggerfish.

Very unique shrimps and relatively easy to acquire for $50 back in the day. I see them at Roozens every now and then.

Really rob thanks great. Glad to hear you put 5-7" peakcock mantis in your reefs. I was wondering how you won tank of the month on reef central. Oh wait err wamas. My bad... chive on bro.

what's your point?

I'm sure there are many tanks that are nicer than mine, but at the time it was the one that got the most votes from WAMAS members for TOTM.

As far as my experiences go, I usually post them here for the rest of the folks so they don't have to listen to the people who say, "you can't do this or that". I usually like to prove them otherwise.

You can think of me as the great and powerful Oz if it makes it easier for you. :ph34r:

Edited by zygote2k

I will chime into this thread since Omair has been talking to me about becoming the new owner of Tails, the mantis. In my experience, he has been curious but not a terror. He does not do much rearranging and is currently living with a yellow sea slug and a chocolate chip starfish until someone wish to adopt them. Tails has never come out and banged on the glass but he does dig and strikes the bottom as though it were rock. The bottom is lined with acrylic. The heater in his tank is glass and has never been struck. I have never tried putting corals in his tank, nor have I ever run lights. NPS tanks have their own challenges, mainly needing a lot of suspended organics without the inorganic nutrients polluting the water. I suggested to Omair an algae scrubber rather than using his skimmer to make the goal a little more feasible.

what's your point?

I'm sure there are many tanks that are nicer than mine, but at the time it was the one that got the most votes from WAMAS members for TOTM.

As far as my experiences go, I usually post them here for the rest of the folks so they don't have to listen to the people who say, "you can't do this or that". I usually like to prove them otherwise.

You can think of me as the great and powerful Oz if it makes it easier for you. :ph34r:

no point, just busting your chops Rob... If I don't do it then who will? lol

wizard of Oz huh? I like it!

Over the past few days I have been doing extensive research into NPS corals; but I still have questions on feeding cycle and coral food mix.

Is there anyone local to Northern VA that keeps NPS corals?

I have always found the Mantis at the National Zoo's invert house very active and interesting. Maybe you can drop by and ask them about it.

I was thinking of getting one to keep my Fuzzy Dwalf Lion company in my sump but was apprehensive about the "tales" that they can break glass. I have a 40breeder glass for a sump.

I have always found the Mantis at the National Zoo's invert house very active and interesting. Maybe you can drop by and ask them about it.

I was thinking of getting one to keep my Fuzzy Dwalf Lion company in my sump but was apprehensive about the "tales" that they can break glass. I have a 40breeder glass for a sump.

I was worried about the same thing but Decadence assured me that the mantis will try to dig downward. Easily fixed; head to home depot or lowes and pickup a cut sheet of acrylic and seal it to the bottom of the tank with silicone.

I have had several, give me a call to discuss if you want. FYI, they will eat fish even though they are not typically fond of doing so.

Do you mean the coral? Or the mantis? PM sent. :)

I was worried about the same thing but Decadence assured me that the mantis will try to dig downward. Easily fixed; head to home depot or lowes and pickup a cut sheet of acrylic and seal it to the bottom of the tank with silicone.

I can assure you that a lion won't bite you if you try and pet it...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The Peacocks never ate a fish or destroyed anything except hermits and snails, and would even eat from my hand. At times, they were docile enough to be be petted by me,

You are a very interesting guy Rob.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2