Resin artificial rock construction?

wade

This is more of a curiosity but I've seen some amazing work done with artificial rocks lately. If nothing else, they can form excellent underlying structure that won't break down (like some concretes) on which to construct your rockwork.

Has anyone ever tried this? I've been digging for info, but its scattered and not very good. Seems like food-safe or FDA approved polyester resin (potentially mixed with a fine sand) is acceptable. That said... I've never done anything like it.

I'd like to make some vertical structure for my upcoming reef.

Anyone know anything about it specifically? Ever tried it?

For reference... this tank by a gentleman in Thailand... its all done with fiberglass/resin artificial rock.

480679_4497192516495_434190002_n.jpg

(edited)

Yes. In Thailand. :p

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried this on their own and has any insight. It may be one of those 'not worth it' DIY projects, although I have yet to come up with an alternative for stacking rock well.

Edited by wade

I think it sounds like a really neat project to try. While I have not used resin, I have done DIY rock with concrete and guess the process would be pretty similar. I say go for it and tell us all how it turns out :)

Ok, I went through that thread and the rock that he is using certainly doesn't look like artificial rock. If it is, then someone figured out how to do it right!!

Many of the tanks that I work on have artificial corals. Some look good, some look like crap, some are made out of porous material, some are made of plastic.

IMO, they all suck unless you have a massive clean up crew to deal with the incessant amounts of detritus and algae that builds up on these surfaces. The more convoluted and detailed they are, the harder it is to keep them clean.

Unfortunately most people who use these decorations have fish that eat CUC, so your next option is AquaMaid. This is very strong hydrogen peroxide that will burn your skin into a nice white blister in a few seconds. When added to the tank water, it oxidizes all algae and drops it to the bottom of the tank to be removed manually.

They often cost 3x the cost of a natural reef structure.

I've tried acrylic rods before (and eggcrate) - they fail after a short period of time. They are too flexible and constant weight bends them and the structures don't hold up. The problem with cementing regular rocks together is that the concrete (aside from chemistry issues for a while) becomes friable. There may be grades that won't, but I don't know enough about cements to know for sure.

As to the ceramic, that is a good idea. I'll check that out and see if they have structures or just rocks.

As I mentioned originally... I'm not against using real rock. I just wanted to know if anyone had methods for making structures on which to build - either out of rock or out of synthetics. I want to avoid the "stacked rocks" look that most tanks have by nature of the rock we use. They do not resemble real reefs except in the zones below reef crests and no large sps grow in those.

• 2 weeks later...

After researching this a bit, I've opted to get the tank started by using the thorite replacement with an acrylic binder. (EMarco 400)

Will see what I can put together with some cement... and some base rock. Just really hoping this old base rock isn't going to leach too heavily.

look at realreefrock as well, Sean at Fins and Feathers turned me on to this and ill be adding some to the new build along with some existing rock

he can order it and get it at the shop, if you want ill try to post up when i order mine so you can see for yourself

its not the cheapest but being that its made in a closed loop/cycled etc....the branch and shelf look REALLY nice...google has some good images as well.

Edited by Der ABT

look at realreefrock as well, Sean at Fins and Feathers turned me on to this and ill be adding some to the new build along with some existing rock

he can order it and get it at the shop, if you want ill try to post up when i order mine so you can see for yourself

its not the cheapest but being that its made in a closed loop/cycled etc....the branch and shelf look REALLY nice...google has some good images as well.

I actually saw that in the store this past weekend and couldn't figure out exactly what it was - they had some of the shelf pieces. Thanks for the info.

I had been considering a rock and pond foam project for my new set-up, but after reading this thread I'm a little worried. Do the egg crate projects really tend to fail over time?

I had been considering a rock and pond foam project for my new set-up, but after reading this thread I'm a little worried. Do the egg crate projects really tend to fail over time?

Really depends on how much weight you put on them. Eggcrate isn't made to be load bearing and it sags fairly quickly. If you somehow used it as an internal bracing to start your structure, I'm guessing you'd be fine.

That's good to know. I figured the pond foam between the rock portions would help to strengthen the egg crate a little due to it filling the holes.

If only concrete weren't such a pH nightmare.

If only concrete weren't such a pH nightmare.

Concrete is not an issue once you cure it, takes about a month of soaking. To me it is much more natural, and less likely to leach anything compared to foam which is made of chemicals.

The issue is that its friable unless you use the right stuff. Give it a year or two in a marine environment, especially if you are just using it as a mortar, and it will crumble. Fairly sure you can get some high tensile marine environment stuff that is fine offname brand - but at this stage I'm going for the emarco stuff and just using that.

I used fiberglass rods as they are stronger than acrylic. I got mine at Tractor Supply, only $1.29 for a 4 foot piece.

http://www.tractorsu...st?cm_vc=-10005

You are the tractor supply guru...I have to grab bird seed today..I think I am going to go aisle by aisle and see what else is inthrre lol

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I used the cement from Marco rocks last week for the first time and I would shout how great it is from the roof tops!!! It mixed awesome was extremely easy to use (my finger was the best tool for application) it set up so quick my rocks were back in the tank in about 45 minutes or less...you can barely see it on my rocks..unless I pointedit out you wouldn't notice it.

Plus you don't need nearly the amount he suggests so mix up just a bit at a time...it sets very quickly...

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sachabballi reef