Go salt or go home. First ever tank! 29G

howaboutme

Got a new camera and playing with a different perspective of the traditional "full tank shot". Not sure what I think about the Christmas lights though....

DSC_0066-2.jpg

DSC_0062-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a huge hiatus from doing anything but routine water changes with this tank for the past few months because of family/work life, I finally went to a LFS for the first time since the BRK Social. I decided to check out QR for the first time since the grand opening weekend. I got myself a red fromia star and some odds and ends to help maintain my tank moving forward.

I have always wanted a starfish but have been hesitant as I've heard nothing but negatives in regards to keeping them in our home tanks. I figured that my tank was mature enough and took the plunge. Here are some pictures and then a question:

2013-11-10164830.jpg

2013-11-10200013.jpg

Here's the question. I accidentally exposed the starfish to air for just a second or 2 while transferring it from the bag to my drip acclimation container. I know you're not suppose to expose them so I am wondering if I am already on a losing path here. I dripped for about 1.5 hrs. The 2nd pictures show's its current location. It moved (and even got attacked by my pistol as it slowly crawled past the burrow opening) immediately after introduction. The 2nd picture also shows the oral disk. Does that disk look okay?

I also picked up this:

2013-11-10201255.jpg

I am looking to track my PO4. I've had algae issues for a while, nothing too outrageous and on spots here or there, but I am looking to get them under control before I get into more SPS. Besides, I hate looking at them. I've never really measured PO4. I figured that if I have algae, I have PO4. But am going to be a bit more active in that department. To be honest, my PO4 may be off the charts for this ULR but that will give me incentive to get it within measuring range. I also picked up that stick w/ a pump to clean my sand and detritus in between water changes. I have settled detritus that I can't get out just with water changes alone so I'm hoping this will help with that task.

Jealous, hanna checkers are on my Christmas list.

Tank looks great, and even nicer looking starfish! You've been wanting one for a while, should have given me a call and let me know you were coming this way! It looks fine, I'm sure you took all the precautions of thorough and proper acclimation. I don't know if it makes a difference on what type of starfish, but one of my first gets was a regular brown starfish that Jan gave me to stir my sand. If I recall, I didn't even drip it (this was my first month of reefing, keep in mind.) None the less, I'm watching it crawl across the floor of my 150 as I type this. 

Aren't we about due for a FTS?

Jealous, hanna checkers are on my Christmas list.

Tank looks great, and even nicer looking starfish! You've been wanting one for a while, should have given me a call and let me know you were coming this way! It looks fine, I'm sure you took all the precautions of thorough and proper acclimation. I don't know if it makes a difference on what type of starfish, but one of my first gets was a regular brown starfish that Jan gave me to stir my sand. If I recall, I didn't even drip it (this was my first month of reefing, keep in mind.) None the less, I'm watching it crawl across the floor of my 150 as I type this. 

Aren't we about due for a FTS?

Thanks, Isaac. Today's trip was spontaneous. I've been itching to do something other than checking WAMAS and water changes.....so I just went. haha..Will head out to your place sometime soon.

The FTS is a couple of posts up.... :) From the top.

Looking good

Thanks!

PS. That's a chalk bass but I can see the  resemblance in the perspective...haha.

So....used the Hanna for the first time ever. I quickly realized why there are 2 cuvettes included. Before that "duh" moment came to me, I couldn't understand how I can get the regents inside that little neck in time to insert it into the checker and press the button. Of course, the checker turned off on me.....

Next question...How do people put the regents into the cuvette cleanly? I must have lost a few drops of it trying to fit them into the little opening. Hints?

My PO4 read 0.07665 (0.08ppm). I converted that from 25ppb x 3.066 / 1000. Correct me if I am wrong. I am not confident that reading is correct since it was my first time doing the test and I lost a few of the regents. Even if I am close, I am kind of shocked my PO4 is that number. I suspected way higher since I do get some HA here and there and an occasional patch of cyano in the low flow area of my tank. I plan to test immediately after a water change and then just before to see what the pattern is. Then begins my quest to zero.

We'll I use the ultra low phosphorus Hanna. I open the packet by cutting the top and 1 side and slide it in the container first and shake if gently until it is completely dissolved and the other coating with just tank water then test. That's a great number you have mine is .092 which I am happy with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

PS. That's a chalk bass but I can see the  resemblance in the perspective...haha.

So....used the Hanna for the first time ever. I quickly realized why there are 2 cuvettes included. Before that "duh" moment came to me, I couldn't understand how I can get the regents inside that little neck in time to insert it into the checker and press the button. Of course, the checker turned off on me.....

Next question...How do people put the regents into the cuvette cleanly? I must have lost a few drops of it trying to fit them into the little opening. Hints?

My PO4 read 0.07665 (0.08ppm). I converted that from 25ppb x 3.066 / 1000. Correct me if I am wrong. I am not confident that reading is correct since it was my first time doing the test and I lost a few of the regents. Even if I am close, I am kind of shocked my PO4 is that number. I suspected way higher since I do get some HA here and there and an occasional patch of cyano in the low flow area of my tank. I plan to test immediately after a water change and then just before to see what the pattern is. Then begins my quest to zero.

Here are some handy charts for the Hanna Checkers. Print out the one for the Phosphorus ULR meter and stick it in the lid of the case and you'll have the conversions handy. If you use the alk meter, there's a chart for that, too, converting not only to dKH and meq/l, but also providing the balanced calcium for the alkalinity reading.

When I use the Phosphorus checker, I start out by opening the packet of reagent. I cut along two sides of the packet and open it up, folding along the diagonal to create a funnel. I then set it to the side. Then fill the vial with tank water and turn the meter on. Add the cuvette and press the button again. You've now got about 2 minutes as I recall to add the reagent and swirl it until it dissolves. Don't aggressively shake it or bubbles will taint the reading. Return the cuvette to the meter and press and hold the button until the 3-minute count-down timer starts. You'll get a reading of P in ppb when the timer finishes.

Your conversion above from ppb to ppm PO4 was just right.

Keep this in mind when measuring PO4: Algae consumes this stuff like it were fertilizer. Well, it IS fertilizer. Anyway, since it's being consumed by the algae, there's less phosphate in the water to measure. That is, the hair algae is sweeping your tank clean of phosphates. The fact that you have the algae says that the nutrients are (were) there for it to grow - it's evidence after the fact. It's not unusual for relatively new reefers with hair algae issues to report back that they have zero phosphates according to their test kits.

Thanks Tom. I actually have that link bookmarked but didn't print it out because I just thought I'd be off that chart. In fact, I may be if it wasn't for the algae. My number is definitely off if compared to Steve's (fscbishop) since his tank looks awesome with that 0.09 number. I do appreciate the advice on how to add the regents into the cuvette from you and Steve.

This is why I was asking about raising NO3. But before I do anything extra, I want to try and use water changes and extra cleaning of the sandbed to get all of the settled detritus out of the rocks and low flow areas (I have a lot) and see where I am in a month or so. While I do that, I am researching various other ways of lowering PO4 w/o running GFO, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got some stump remover to add some KNO3 into the tank to lower PO4. After doing a water change and cleaning, I added 1 salifert capful of it into the tank (similar to Mike's scenario). Testing after the water change is NO3=0 (as always) and PO4=0.11 (though it's been up to 0.14 the day after a water change, I don't measure after that because since I have algae, the number will be distorted anyways). I'll test NO3 tomorrow night to see if anything happened. If after a few days of no NO3 rise, I will dose again.

A contrast to the b/w shot in the other thread. Just playing around w/ the camera tonight. (FYI, no rise in NO3 a day after dosing KNO3.)

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Got a nice deal on a Red Sea Alk/Ca/Mg test kit from BRS and decided to do that battery of tests last night, amongst my usual NO3 and PO4. I haven't tested for Alk or Ca for at least 6 months and those were the API tests. I've never tested for Mg. As I said previous, I want to get a bit more hands on and really start to understand what my tank is doing.

My numbers from last night were (bare in mind it was my first time using those tests so things could be a bit off from rookie mistakes):

Alk: 7 dKH

Ca: 430

Mg: 1400

I've never dosed anything and use RC.

My Alk is on the low end and my Mg is on the high end. I've heard that those numbers can represent a dirtier condition, which is most definitely true. I needed to dose 5 salifert capfuls of KNO3 to get my NO3 to 1ppm. I want to target 2ppm so I dosed 2 more capfuls last night. I will see where I am at tonight. Last nights PO4 was 0.09, which is the lowest it's been the day after a wc. Not sure if that's due to the rise in NO3 or not. I still have a plethora of algae and bits of cyano. I got a lawnmower blenny from QR today to help w/ the algae cleaning as I try to combat the root case of it. Thanks for reading! If you have thoughts/analysis of my numbers, please do post up.

• 1 month later...

Some growth picture pictures.

RBTA 7/7/13

DSC_0006-4.jpg

RBTA 1/10/14 (cell phone picture)

2014-01-10190351.jpg

Because of the angle, I can't get a close up like the first photo but it's tripled in size.

Unknown acro and pink birdsnest in the background) 9/12/13

2013-09-12-2.jpg

Green birdsnest 9/12/13

2013-09-12-1.jpg

The unknown acro 1/10/14 (cell phone picture)

9c635b4e-bb05-42e4-a316-cd3a65f4bc16.jpg

The pink and green birdsnests 1/10/14 (cell phone picture)

The pink birdsnest was at one point completely white. I wasn't sure if it was RTN or just bleached but it happened immediately after I took it out of the water to do some gluing. It recovered pretty nicely. I'm glad I didn't throw it out.

2014-01-10200100.jpg

Pardon some of the algae. I finally got a 2nd round of cyano beat and still have some hair algae lingering. I'm continuing to try to get my PO4 down and think I'm having success. I dosed KN03 until I got to 5ppm NO3 and have stopped. I am maintaining 2 to 5 ppm NO3 now.

I don't know if these are good or fast growths. To me, they are slow and probably slower than other tanks. I'm just happy to see growth in general though.

One a side note, I can't seem to find my lawnmower blenny today. It just disappeared w/o a trace! I see no signs of a dead fish either nor do I think it jumped.

My hypothesis is:

1) It died and my CUC went to town. This is unlikely since I only have a few snails and 2 pepps.

2) It found a burrow and is hiding

3) It somehow lost its way and the RBTA ate it.

Looks great, Jack. I lost my LM blenny as well. Who knows, he was a cool fish. I might try another one, such great personality.

Looks great, Jack. I lost my LM blenny as well. Who knows, he was a cool fish. I might try another one, such great personality.

Thanks Isaac! I really appreciate all of the help you've given me.

• 1 month later...

Will have more later....

Currently in shock. Just saw my peppermint drag a just molted pistol from its den where it seemed to have already been injured and proceed to feast on it. It literally took it from my hands as I was trying to dislodge the pistol from being stuck in between the rock and sand. Might be giving away two peppermints soon. I am so pissed off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Will have more later....

Currently in shock. Just saw my peppermint drag a just molted pistol from its den where it seemed to have already been injured and proceed to feast on it. It literally took it from my hands as I was trying to dislodge the pistol from being stuck in between the rock and sand. Might be giving away two peppermints soon. I am so pissed off.

I remember you suspected your peppermints of eating polyps and other things. It's strange that they would go after a pistol. You've got to admire that gusto! You could have my pistol, if I could ever get it, he's wiley. Can always throw the peppermints in the new mantis tank, so far my coral banded has been doing fine in the same house, for now...

Love to see some pictures of how things are coming along.

Ok..finally have time to settle down. Weekends are so busy....In general, I've been super busy w/ the new baby and family that I haven't really had time to do much other than basic maintenance for the tank. It's been on cruise control after my last cyano outbreak back in November and so far, things are looking good for this 1 year old tank. Many of the corals came in throughout the 1 year so they have different growths as opposed to stocking all at once.

The biggest tank related news (other than my pistol being butchered) is that I got a Reef Angel controller. It took almost a month to even hook it up because of the lack of time but it's finally up. I am just doing basic stuff w/ it until I figure out what I want to do. Most of the capabilities will probably be implemented on the next tank. I am excited about it though.

Back to earlier this morning. So apparently my pistol molted last night (saw the molt). When I woke up this morning, I saw what looked like a part of the pistol lodged at the bottom of a rock but on the sand. The area was an opening into the den. I thought it was a molted shell until I looked closer. It was moving. I quickly dislodged it and as soon as I did that, one of the peppermints grabbed the pistol and took it away. In that quick second, I can tell the pistol was mostly gone but seeing that really disturbed me and blew my mind away. Nature at work, huh? So I am strongly considering getting rid of the peppermints and will look into getting another pistol for my now lonely goby. (Isaac, see below.) Poor goby.

As far as chemistry is concerned, I have stopped dosing NO3 (KNO3) as I am able to maintain 2 to 5ppm NO3 between water changes. I have little to no algae on the sand or rocks except for the usual film on the glass. However, I do see about a handful of bubble algae so clearly the nutrients are there. I have never run GFO, carbon or, dosed anything other than NO3. As you can tell from the post, the water is crystal clear for some reason. Everything is growing and that's all that matters. I think that if I did manipulate the chemistry, the corals will grow faster but I have nothing but time so I won't mess with it. Plus, that's usually how tanks crash.

Enough words, here are some cell phone pictures. Sorry, no time for DSLR stuff...

2014-02-23160925.jpg

Clearly the red monti is looking awesome! The RBTA is taking up the entire right side now, which is causing some trouble for coral placement (and death). I am learning a lot w/ this tank and one is about aquascaping. I love the look of the scape but it doesn't have a lot of good horizontal areas for corals. I have a lot of vertical space but that's hard to work with.

Here is a close up on the monti's growth. You can see how awesome the pattern is. It's like a vortex, shaped exactly like how the current from the right PH is.

2014-02-23164138.jpg

2014-02-23164054.jpg

Soo..the RBTA..Well, it's about 8 to 9" fully stretched now. It has stung a few corals. I moved some to try and salvage them but lost a hydnophora. Actually, I didn't lose the hynophora directly from the BTA. When I took the coral off of that rock and placed it on the sandbed, my goby (or pistol) promptly stole it and moved it inside the den....haha..(Sorry Jason, it's in the same place as the sunset monti.) Here are some shots:

2014-02-23164155.jpg

That acro on the left has fully encrusted the rock. I want to move it but not sure how. It's somewhat browned out (probably from PO4 but who knows?) but the growth has pink tips. The side facing the nem is white from being stung..ouch!

Look at that extension of the BTA...That looks awesome to me!

2014-02-23181906.jpg

The fromia star you see above is still alive. It has a loose leg (not operational that I know of) but it has an intact oral disk and is moving around like nothing. So weird. It's been like this for many months. I don't recommend one but they do look cool.

That's it for picts.

So what are my next steps? I'm not sure.

I need to actually build my saltwater mixing station. 5G buckets up 1 flight of stairs is killing my back. Plus, I need to do that before any possible upgrade in tank.

I am considering going all or mostly SPS in this tank to further experiment my chosen form of maintenance so you may see some for free postings for the rest of my LPS/softies to make room. But I am not sure yet.

If I do the above, I want to get some harder acros to work with as I only have the relatively easy sps now.

I want a clam.

I think that's it for now. Thanks for reading and thanks to WAMAS. Just a note to any people hesitating on joining WAMAS, I received most of my corals from generous members and have not had to pay for a lot of the corals in my tank. I am not embarrassed to say that. I got very lucky with a lot of peoples help. Obviously, with a small tank, it's easy to fill up with not too many corals but the $20 is chump change compared to the people that I have met. Now....I will expect to have to pay for any harder acros I may be adding.. :laugh:

I remember you suspected your peppermints of eating polyps and other things. It's strange that they would go after a pistol. You've got to admire that gusto! You could have my pistol, if I could ever get it, he's wiley. Can always throw the peppermints in the new mantis tank, so far my coral banded has been doing fine in the same house, for now...

Love to see some pictures of how things are coming along.

Do you think you can catch your pistol? If so, I can give you the 2 peppermints. I am sure I can catch them as they are not shy and come out when fed. Even if you don't catch it, I can give you the 2 peppermints anyways. Let's PM to discuss.

lol you better put them on CL...we already know they are murderers.....

+1 to seeing some updates...

You're right! But I hate CL. I would rather be frank w/ other members and hope that a person has a FOWLR that can need some peppermints. But we'll see what I can work out w/ Isaac first....

post-2633579-139337233319_thumb.jpg

You would molt too if you just ate a pistol shrimp! I guess it had to make room. Ugh.

I can't believe that red monti has grown so much. Or that green birdsnest!

Gotta let nature take it's course, even in your tank! Dont sweat it, I've seen more expensive snacks.

Gotta let nature take it's course, even in your tank! Dont sweat it, I've seen more expensive snacks.

Yeah..but I am more upset because the goby lost it's mate..They were very cute together. I really loved their synergy. I hope that the replacement will be a good substitute.

Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Tracy! I guess it was almost a year ago when I stopped by your place. Time flies!

Went to QR to replace my pistol.... Got a little candy stripe and this little tiny maxima.... Excuse the limp legged fromia behind. :-) post-2633579-139379715931_thumb.jpg