Go salt or go home. First ever tank! 29G

howaboutme

For w/c i use an old deer park water cooler jug..narrower opening and has a handle on it too.. I have an 8&10 gal nanos..it works great for me and i use a clean battery driven fuel siphon my bro bought just for that use..makes siponing out water a snap..wish i still had my python siphon..that thing sure was a strong suction..cant find anywhere..i hear different things about the hermits too. I have 2astrea snails in with a blueleg hermit and he ignores them because they usually stay on walls,but there are cases of jekyll and hydes...8)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Don't be jealous that your snail doesn't have a coat like mine! He stays nice and warm at night...:-) .. And before you ask, that is the only place in my tank that has HA. Kind of cute if you ask me. (and that's the bass that had the eye injury but can't tell now.)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

post-2633579-137790853775_thumb.jpg

Don't be jealous that your snail doesn't have a coat like mine! He stays nice and warm at night...:-) .. And before you ask, that is the only place in my tank that has HA. Kind of cute if you ask me. (and that's the bass that had the eye injury but can't tell now.)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Haha, Too funny. Maybe he's trying to turn into GSP. 

Haha, Too funny. Maybe he's trying to turn into GSP. 

It would have been cool if I stuck some GSP on my snails shells! Great idea. Still to this day, I have no clue how this happened. It kind of just showed up one day. It would be cool to see one of my turbos munching on it though....

Tank looks great!!

Thank you. I didn't show much in that photo but coming from you, it still means a lot!

That snail is PIMP!

I believe that coat is called MINK.

If macklemore was a snail

That's too funny!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've updated anything significant so I figure I'd do it tonight. I have not done much to the tank other than maintenance for a while as life and a basement reno done by myself is taking up a lot of my time. I've been happy with the growth of some corals, satisfied with others and a bit perplexed for some. First some before and after shots:

Red monti cap about 3 months ago:

2013-06-20200926.jpg

Now:

2013-09-12-5.jpg

and

2013-09-12-6.jpg

I am super happy about the growth of this. The purple one to the left is finally starting to show growth tips after about 1.5 to 2 months but it could be growing slow because it's a bit off to the side and getting less light.

Birdsnest about 3 months ago:

2013-06-20200907.jpg

Now:

2013-09-12-1.jpg

All of the new branches and excellent polyp extension are nice.

This is an acro I got at FFE. This picture was shot the night of or the next day of FFE so it's a 2 month old picture. The acro I am referring to is the one on the right, between the blasto and the nem.

DSC_0035-3.jpg

Now:

2013-09-12-2.jpg

It's getting nice color and great polyp extension. Does anyone know what this coral is?

On a side note, the brown acro at the back has been around the world in terms of condition. It was brown from FFE but started to turn around in my tank. Then I decided to take it out and attach it to a frag plug. As soon as I did that, it turned ghostly white. But I just kept it in the tank and now it's starting to return to a brownish tint but have shown small polyp extension as well as growth tips. Does it have a chance? I am glad I didn't throw it out though. I guess it's too soon to guess this coral?

Here's another acro I got from FFE:

2013-09-12-3.jpg

The color has obviously not turned around yet but as you can see, nice polyp extension and starting to get true pink tips. Guess on this one?

And my RBTA:

2013-09-12-4.jpg

It hasn't given me the bulbs since the first week of introduction but it seems to be doing well. It hasn't moved except when I accidentally moved the rock it was originally on. Now it's at the back of the tank.  :angry:  But I will let it be. It is currently hosting one of the clowns. I'm hoping that it grows big enough to have room for the other clown in the future. It eats when I feed and generally looks healthy. Anyone guess why the bulbs haven't come out in a while? I believe from researching that that isn't a bad thing.

For maintenance, I just do a weekly 5G water change with reef crystals. I feed mysis, Jan's, some flakes and pellets and all go wild for either. All livestock are finally not shy and it's very enjoyable watching the tank. I am currently running my D120 for about 8 hours for both channels and blues for 1 hr on either end. The white are currently at around 40% and the blues at around 45%. I am ramping up very slowly as to avoid any bad algae break outs. I am hoping that a combination of more light and putting a WP-25, conditions will be ripe for better SPS growth.

My NO3 stays around 1ppm throughout the week between wc's. I don't test for PO4 but I do get pockets of algae in spots. My turbos usually take good care of them and I do clean the glass a bit each day. My frag plugs are currently leaching a lot of PO4 so the HA are usually concentrated there.

I'd like to rescape and push the rocks to the back  glass to make some room for a clam and just generally have more sand space but I am nervous. I am probably maxed out on fish but feel that I can do 1 more. In fact, I may do that anyways to balance my (need dirtier) water to help some of the LPS. I have some acans and I can't seem to grow them. They in fact may be dead. How do you tell if acans are dead? They are rock hard but still have color...??? Of course, my peppermints may have something to do with it as well as I see at least 1 on top of them regularly.

I have decided to exclusively grow from frags and not buy any colonies. I feel that's the ultimate challenge so wish me luck. Hopefully things will clear up schedule wise and I can do my saltwater mixing station and add some more cool stuff. My planned upgrade will also have to take a back seat since my wife and I are expecting our 2nd daughter at the end of the year....so my 93G cube will have to wait a year or 2 for good reason.. :laugh:

Thanks for reading.

Jack, this is looking GREAT. You've done a fantastic job at lightly stocking and growing things out. Great job with the sps! The nems bubbles come and go for mine. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not. My big RBTA measured 12" across tonight! It's not a bad thing, nobody knows why, from what I've read.

Thanks all! I really appreciate the comments. I especially appreciate all of the help that you all have given in the last few months, most especially Isaac and Jenn for encouragement and very helpful hints. For Tracy, being the very first person I met from WAMAS and hooking me up w/ a nice skimmer to get started and letting me admire his new set up and walking me through what he knew at the time. And..for smallreef (missed your name?? Kim?) for helping me through when my chalk bass had the bubble eye.

Of course, there are countless others that have helped me as well. I hope to give out some knowledge of what I've learned and experienced with the occasional advice to others...with the few disagreements of course! haha.. :tongue:

Hopefully my next update will have even more growth and new corals.

PS. I never even thought that brown to white to brown frag could be a birdsnest. But I do see it now. If it is, I am perplexed as to why it's taking forever to turn around since these are suppose to be "starter" sps's...Thanks Jenn for the possible ID.

If anyone else can ID some of those pieces I've questioned, please do.

Also, if the acans are rock hard but still have color, are they still alive?

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

It's enough for 50 to 200 gallons, so... Yes ;)

Thanks!  I wasn't sure..haha.

Lol! Love it, you planning on adding a few thing off of that tank?

Just part of a long term plan...nothing right away.

Thanks all! I really appreciate the comments. I especially appreciate all of the help that you all have given in the last few months, most especially Isaac and Jenn for encouragement and very helpful hints. For Tracy, being the very first person I met from WAMAS and hooking me up w/ a nice skimmer to get started and letting me admire his new set up and walking me through what he knew at the time. And..for smallreef (missed your name?? Kim?) for helping me through when my chalk bass had the bubble eye.

Of course, there are countless others that have helped me as well. I hope to give out some knowledge of what I've learned and experienced with the occasional advice to others...with the few disagreements of course! haha.. :tongue:

Hopefully my next update will have even more growth and new corals.

PS. I never even thought that brown to white to brown frag could be a birdsnest. But I do see it now. If it is, I am perplexed as to why it's taking forever to turn around since these are suppose to be "starter" sps's...Thanks Jenn for the possible ID.

If anyone else can ID some of those pieces I've questioned, please do.

Also, if the acans are rock hard but still have color, are they still alive?

Thanks again!

I feel like we should have had a video of you reading this at a podium.... :wub:

I feel like we should have had a video of you reading this at a podium.... :wub:

lol!

Sorry, didn't take a video....I was just in a thanking mood that night. haha. Guess I should have just hit "cancel". :unsure: But thank you anyways! :)

lol!

Guess I should have just hit "cancel". :unsure:

no way!! It was incredibly sweet.....lol we aren't used to that lately around these parts....

BTW I just realized I never said congrats on Daughter #2!!!!  How exciting!!!!!!  Nice tax deduction LOL....

Has the RBTA moved at all or is it still hanging in the back? I know thats frustrating...but if it makes you feel any better I have the opposite problem...it seems every single day I have to move things off my rocks to get them out of the way on the ever expanding duo of RBTA....its like I have 50 of them but I don't those are just two humongous ones...you can see that the acan at the bottom of the one on the left had to get moved after that shot...I have literally had to unglue and rearrange everything piece by piece...I am getting close and closer to realizing my dream of having a tank filled with only clowns and anemones...lol...

IMG_20130927_152411_265.jpg

We don't need a video of you....the tank...heck yeah!

And what pump are you going to use for that skimmer?

Short answer, probably a psk-1000..Long answer..I don't know. I am maybe a year out (see below) from my next build so maybe there will be another pump that does excellent work w/ this skimmer at that time...???

no way!! It was incredibly sweet.....lol we aren't used to that lately around these parts....

BTW I just realized I never said congrats on Daughter #2!!!!  How exciting!!!!!!  Nice tax deduction LOL....

Has the RBTA moved at all or is it still hanging in the back? I know thats frustrating...but if it makes you feel any better I have the opposite problem...it seems every single day I have to move things off my rocks to get them out of the way on the ever expanding duo of RBTA....its like I have 50 of them but I don't those are just two humongous ones...you can see that the acan at the bottom of the one on the left had to get moved after that shot...I have literally had to unglue and rearrange everything piece by piece...I am getting close and closer to realizing my dream of having a tank filled with only clowns and anemones...lol...

Thanks for the congrats! We're excited for our 2nd one but it pushed back my upgrade a little while... :wacko:  Oh wait, I should have a smiley face instead :laugh: . She's due at the end of this year or beginning of next. I'm hoping it's this year..more of a tax bonus on the return!

The RBTA has not moved at all. It's actually quite visible once it's extended when the lights are on so I'm not worried. It seems happy so I won't force nature. Your nem's are huge! Time to split them and compete against Marco in the nem selling category... :tongue:

LOL...there is no competing with Marco..no one can LOL...in fact once I get around to doing a dedicated tank he already knows I am hitting him up for some crazy nems.  I just can't bring myself to propagate the nems manually...those two were one and split completely evenly....I figure they will do it again themselves soon as they are getting insanely big and then I have a friend who wants the clone...

Just out of curiosity, I put in the wp-25. Holy shiasta! Of course, I didn't read the instructions nor remembered some hints of what settings to put it on before it blew everything, including the poor fish, to smiderings...Had to quickly put it on feed mode before realizing I could just unplug it. Will try to play with the settings this weekend or just put it on the shelf next to the cs1 for the next tank...Wow.