Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

Coming along! So you're going to have 2 MP-40s and 2 WP-40s in that? Wowza! Wave central there!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming along! So you're going to have 2 MP-40s and 2 WP-40s in that? Wowza! Wave central there!

Slowly but surely!

Yeah, two MP-40's and.....

I bought two WP-40's through the group buy to play around with them. I've seen them in action on Jason's tank, and they perform. The only test that they still have to pass is the test of time. I'm not saying I'm going to run all four of them, and something tells me if I don't need them/don't want them it seems like they'll retain their value if I wish to sell them down the road. 

darn bro arent you moving in like a month or two? i thought you were gonna wait until the move, let me know what your plan for the 57 is

darn bro arent you moving in like a month or two? i thought you were gonna wait until the move, let me know what your plan for the 57 is

Nope, signed on for another year. You know I don't have that type of patience. I've had a lot of interest in the 57 and I haven't even thought about getting everything switched over yet, will keep you posted.

So I ended up with a DC-6000, I figure it was a solid investement, and perfect for what I need. I've plumbed the tank with 3 drains, and 1 return, which happens to be RIGHT by my pump, so win win there. On top of that, I'll have 2 x mp40 and 2 x WP40, which will allow for more flow than I'll ever need.

The only thing between me and water flowing is a 1" to 3/4" reducer for my return loc line!

And now we're rocking and rolling, quick preview:

And now we're rocking and rolling, quick preview:

I have created a WAMAS Monster !!!! Tagging along .

Looking great!! And quiet enough that I'm obsessively trying tobfugyre out what show you were watching since I know there's no cable in that abode lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have created a WAMAS Monster !!!! Tagging along .

Roar?

Looking great!! And quiet enough that I'm obsessively trying tobfugyre out what show you were watching since I know there's no cable in that abode lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh my. It's a long story. I found this really catchy 16 year old pop singer from New Zeland yesterday named Lorde. Andrea was checking her out on YouTube while I was working on the tank, which led into the endless YouTube spiral of hours lost and no idea what you just did with your life. I think you tuned in right around the nicki minaj and mariah carey fiasco, which led to how to catch a predator, and now she's watching some special about nannies who abuse the children they watch. Seriously, cable is the last thing this place needs....

Great! Somebody has water flowing! Is this the 150 from the raffle?

Sent from my phone

Great! Somebody has water flowing! Is this the 150 from the raffle?

Sent from my phone

In living color!

Great job getting all of that done in no time! Very exciting!

Is that a heater in your DT? Not in the sump?

Congrats! I'm so jealous! I'm still waiting on my sump and then I can get some water rolling too.... Again awesome!

Thanks! Not exactly how I would have liked it to go, but the misses is happy, and I have a perfect area to work on my sump while I sit on the couch.

The only real noise is the drains. I'm wondering if I should cut the pipes short so instead of gurgling into the water it has a .5" drop and deal with the splash instead? Or maybe if I drilled a hole in the top like my dursos?

Great job getting all of that done in no time! Very exciting!

Is that a heater in your DT? Not in the sump?

Well, it felt like forever. Big shout out to Richard for all his help. I took this video right after I had everything going, the heater is obviously going into the sump, can't get anything by you, Jack!

So been busy. New evergrow is in, and just a lot of planning on how this is going to shift around. I ended up popping the inside of the hood out, so now I've got a box that essentially covers up the top. If you're 6'2, you can see inside if you're up close, and everybody else lower is good to go.

Was going to go barebottom, decided that I would like a small layer of substrate. Ended up with fiji pink. Glad I did, 40lbs took care of the exact amount I was looking for, which was enough to just cover the glass.

DSC_0309_zps7f2cb04e.jpg

In other news, the 57 now has a new lobo and cynaria. Both are phenominal pieces I scored from ERC. My photo does not do them any justice. At all. They are some of the best looking things in the tank now, imo.

DSC_0313_zps60f9e91e.jpg

Was able to get a good shot of a "mindblowing" paly as they are being called, and my small Rasta colony. Thought I'd share:

DSC_0303_zpsd34f679f.jpg

Oh, and I guess importantly, I've got some aquascaping done. It's hard to get a good picture, because the leds are resting right on the right hand side of the tank, but you can get the jist of what's happening here:

DSC_0318_zpscb5a25f9.jpg

A thanks to Brad for coming over and helping me keep this simple. I've got about 30lbs of rock that I would have used leftover if he wasn't here. He also convinced me to wait after my cycle before switching everything over. For fear of losing everything, I will probably heed that advice, and wait at least a month before I start putting LPS in.

There is nothing on the right side anyways, just bright lights and shadows.... oh, and the overflow box. My huge monticap/rock is going up against that overflow. This rock will be the only rock that moves from my current DT into this one. I think the rest of my rock will make it's way into the sump. The arch will house all my LPS on the top/right side, and the bottom left of it will house all my zoas. I hope I can get my RBTA to stay on the bottom right of the arch... we will see. The rocks in the middle form a bit of a horseshoe, and I plan on putting the huge open brain in the middle. The surrounding rocks will be used to grow out the different favias I have about, and encrusting montis. There is a plan for everything in the 57.

Brad also had a fantastic idea, grow mangroves in the middle of my sump! I think I will probably give it a shot, just need to figure out what kind of light I'll do over it. I'll probably do cheeto as well down in the roots. It would be awesome if I could get a mangrove tree growing right out the middle! The par 38 I'm currently using would do a fine job, but it's redish glow by the window might confuse people as to what "district" they are in.

DSC_0305_zpsa032c980.jpg

I wish you had painted the PVC to give it a Euro look. Looking good!!! Tagging along.

I love the mangrove idea...and getting rid of that fake ficus.  If you use a par38, you can get a real plants in it's place.   I typically have philodendron growing in my fw tanks, a screw in cfl hanging is all I needed to keep them growing:

75gleftfts.jpg

The mangrove is a great idea. Use a normal PAR38 light they work great as well.

Yeah, I guess I'm not really sure how big mangroves get. I like the idea, a lot. I'm just wonering how to nicely hang a light over them until I achieve desired results. I'm sure my clamp on par 38 will be fine, it just has a cheap feeling to it. If the sump is going to be out in the open, I'd rather grow things in it and "beautify" it up a bit.

Very cool idea!

You'll probably need to make so e egg rate or other contraption to make them stand up straight...then you can get rid of the fake ficus!

I was also wondering how I was going to make it all stick. I think I'll put my skimmer in my first chamber, midle chamber will serve as a "fuge" type area, just jammed with all the live rock from my current display tank. At that stage, it will probably be high enough to just set a home made eggcrate apperatus on top and hopefully the roots will feed into the rock.

I wish you had painted the PVC to give it a Euro look. Looking good!!! Tagging along.

I wish I did as well. I never even thought about it, was just so eager to get it going.

I love the mangrove idea...and getting rid of that fake ficus.  If you use a par38, you can get a real plants in it's place.   I typically have philodendron growing in my fw tanks, a screw in cfl hanging is all I needed to keep them growing:

That's really nice! I hate the fake tree. I tell my fiance all the time, but she loves them. It's the hispanic interior designer in her. I can't complain too much, she approved a 150 plus 50 gallon sump taking up half the living room. I feel like I'm on par with seaworld, sans Shamu.

my friend you look like you are in need of a couple of LEDs, hint i have a couple up for sale;)

Shamless plug!

If you read back through all my mad rambling, you'll see the part where I listed I have x2 it2080's, it will be like christmas in there once I'm done.

I was also wondering how I was going to make it all stick. I think I'll put my skimmer in my first chamber, midle chamber will serve as a "fuge" type area, just jammed with all the live rock from my current display tank. At that stage, it will probably be high enough to just set a home made eggcrate apperatus on top and hopefully the roots will feed into the rock.

a buddy of mine has been growing mangroves in his fuge for a while and recently changed up his fuge tank and the manner in which he supports the mangroves while they root - i think it turned up nicely and perhaps you can adapt. given time, they will take root in the rock and substrate from the top which you can see well in the third photo. hope this helps with ideas.

20130801_8010892_200gReef-XL.jpg

20130801_8010895_200gReef-XL.jpg

20130801_8010897_200gReef-L.jpg