Using pubmix container as auto top off container

motti

Hey all

I bought this pub mix snacks from SAMs club and thought it would make a great auto top off water reservoir.

Any thoughts about it?

Not to totally hijack, but the OP question seems answered.

The ikea boxes for my shelf space are 13x14x13...it's roughly a 10g cube or close to it that I'd love to find

Edited by matt

I'll post an image when I get home. It fit perfectly, and I would say it holds probably about a gallon. Perfect for smaller tanks

I kept two of these containers for years wondering just what I would want to do with them. I actually used both a couple of months ago as I experimented with a more economical DI resin regeneration process (I still need to play with that some before I publish anything). They should work just fine at top off reservoirs.

When I also kept a nano, though, I used an empty plastic tub that once held kitty litter as my reservoir. Fresh Step (?) I believe. It's rectangular shape made it efficient space-wise, and made it less of a tip-over risk than the Pub Mix containers that I had. It was also far sturdier. So, if you're looking for ideas, this may be one to consider, too.

What are suggested/used methods to clean pubmix or cat litter containers prior to use in an ATO? I've been using grocery-store distilled water jugs (filled with RODI) just so I didn't have to worry about contaminants at all

Here is what I used. This brand can be found at Sam's:

2012-04-21_16-09-07_531.jpg

It will hold just over 5 gallons.

That looks pretty much like what I did, except it was a smaller container than 5 gallons. They're great because they're durable and perfect for small spaces.

What are suggested/used methods to clean pubmix or cat litter containers prior to use in an ATO? I've been using grocery-store distilled water jugs (filled with RODI) just so I didn't have to worry about contaminants at all

Give it a freshwater rinse with a scrubbie of some sort. If desired, let it sit for an hour with a warm water and bleach solution, following it with some good rinses. That should be all you need to do.

interesting. do they make clear or semi transparent kitty litter containers? would be nice to be able to see your water level if it is not hooked up to your ro di.

interesting. do they make clear or semi transparent kitty litter containers? would be nice to be able to see your water level if it is not hooked up to your ro di.

Not sure about that, but you could always make yourself a water level indicator by drilling two holes (one top and one bottom) in the container then running clear airline tubing between them. You will be able to see the water height by looking at the water level in the tubing.