seaweed for tangs from local asain grocery stores

rainbowfish

Does anyone try the seaweed from local Asain grocery stores? I was at the grocery store past sunday, that store carries many different brands of seaweed. I am not sure which one I should get and/or which one I should aviod.

thanks for your inputs.

I buy roasted seaweed from the asian stores. Just make sure it's not flavored or anything. Only ingredient should be seaweed. It's awesome and so much cheaper.

I buy roasted seaweed from the asian stores. Just make sure it's not flavored or anything. Only ingredient should be seaweed. It's awesome and so much cheaper.

+1

Just make sure it the plain one (normally, the sushi nori)

I have 3 different types of certified organic seaweed that is chemical and heavy metal free. I also have and use certified organic nonroasted nori. It's different than the stuff found in Asian markets and other supermarkets. After much reaserch I've decided to stay away from anything that isn't made here and isn't certified organic.

They never show any interest in the raw kelp in my experience - too coarse and tough. I buy the unroasted plain seaweed. Not sure how some of it can be onsidered organic as it's farm raised I thought, which means it's from the ocean. Can you share the story behind organic seaweed? I have to say my curiosity is piqued (or is this the same as the Kosher nori fom that video?).

I use plain old Nori sheets used for sushi. And since I have started making a lot sushi (way cheaper than buying) I always have a large stock. And its a lot cheaper than the stuff from the LFS.

All seaweed is organic because it is living matter and it is made of carbon, right? My emphasis was on the "Certified" organic seaweed I use. "Certified" organic seaweed is harvested from the ocean (like all seaweed), sun dried and then "tested" to make sure it is free of certain chemicals. All certified organic here in the US is monitored by the USDA through one of their Certifying agents.

Don't know if the Rabbi that oversees the making of kosher nori checks for chemicals. I doubt it.

They never show any interest in the raw kelp in my experience - too coarse and tough. I buy the unroasted plain seaweed. Not sure how some of it can be onsidered organic as it's farm raised I thought, which means it's from the ocean. Can you share the story behind organic seaweed? I have to say my curiosity is piqued (or is this the same as the Kosher nori fom that video?).

To me It's more natural. In a more pure state. Nori is dried seaweed that's been spun into sheets. Roasting is an additional step used to add flavor.

Jan - what's different about non-roasted that leads you to use that for your tank? thanks

Thanks Jan. All I found at the local market was roasted, but it didn't look like anything was added. Hopefully I'm not adding anything too foreign to my water

The package would say if there was anything added, I think. If it is imported it may not have everything on the label. We've found over the years that regulations abroad are different. We've discovered lead in toys, cadmium in jewelry, etc.. I don't trust that there may be something in foods harvested and packaged abroad that may not be very harmful to us in small quantites but can be harmful to our fish or systems. IMO the roasted isn't as fishy tasting. The green unroasted nori tastes more green and fishy to me.

Thanks Jan. All I found at the local market was roasted, but it didn't look like anything was added. Hopefully I'm not adding anything too foreign to my water

I use dry seaweed that is all ugly and gross looking. It ain't for sushi, that's for sure. It's just dried up strands and the ingredients are just dried seaweed.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack, I have tons of Nori if you want it. Since I broke down my 125G, I have multiple packages left... I dont think they go bad...

Jack, I have tons of Nori if you want it. Since I broke down my 125G, I have multiple packages left... I dont think they go bad...

thanks Eric. I got some from local grocery store over the weekend. I will give it to the tangs in the next couple days. But I might pick it up from you next time when I see you.