My DT is leaking - Can it be repaired in place?

Rosco's Reefs

My 75 g DT appears to have developed a slow leak along the bottom, in the back. For some reason, which I'll be watching, it seems to only do it some of the time. Advice is desired and will be welcomed.

My second question is I am building a new tank right beside it but it has new sand, some of the water from my last water change, and it just now coming up. Has not cycled even a little bit. Do I dare move the contents of my maybe leaky tank over to this new tank? The DT is now year old and really looking good.and I hate to jeopardize it in a move.

Thanks WAMAS for your help.

Ross

I would say NO... if the leak is small and isnt a constant drip (by the way, is it coming from a seam where you can see it or is it dripping down part of the stand?)

I would get the other tank up and cycled as fast as possible with bottled bacteria and then transfer everything.....

Here is the question of the day. Can u deal with a seam rupture at 3 am to find 75 gallons of saltwater on your floor and all your coral and fish dead?

Personally, I would borrow a stock tank from one of the members and move everything from the display into it and buy a new display tank or wait to cycle the new tank you already have set up.

Its not worth losing everything.

I would say NO... if the leak is small and isnt a constant drip (by the way, is it coming from a seam where you can see it or is it dripping down part of the stand?)

I would get the other tank up and cycled as fast as possible with bottled bacteria and then transfer everything.....

Thank you all for your advice. The leak is small, isn't a constant drip, and is dripping down the stand (not one of the vertical seams.) I believe I'll push the new tank forward. How effective is that bottle bacteria stuff? It says apply and buy fish, but I am quite skeptical that's true.

I would toss it all in the new tank and call it a day. Its just sand and old tank water? I can't see why there would be any problems with that transfer.

I agree that you could transfer everything to the new tank and be fine. The live rock would carry the bacteria over to the new tank. I would rinse any of the sand if moving it over too. Yes, the bacteria in a bottle does work and adding that would help to boost the bactria population already there. If you do notice an ammonia or nitrite rise add Prime or similar ammonia locking product every other day until the readings are gone.

Once you get the tank drained you can reseal it.

I just did a big transfer like that. I didn't transfer my sand bed and I only used about 1/4 of my old rock. I did use some bottled bacteria.

I never tested any ammonia even with a full fish load. Nitrates never went above 5.

I had a 75 fail just like yours. It was due to an uneven base. My stand developed about an 1/8" deflection in the middle and put stress in the seams. If you have a similar scenario it could fail catastrohically any second.

I would take half the water out and the think about next steps.

Just as an FYI like Coralhind and OldReefer said; when I moved a bit over 4 months ago I bought a new 90G to move all of the stuff from my old 90G over to it. I left the old sand behind but moved all of the live rock with just a bit of the old live sand for seeding. Everything went fine, I had a very small algae outbreak as I was without my old DSB and my new DSB but mostly devoid of life due to being new but my live rock kept everything (even my SPS) happy.

If you can move the liverock from your leaking tank to your new one, everything should be fine.