what flow rate is required for a cs1 skimmer?

pizzaguy

Anyone now? Not getting a response from avast on all my questions. Vacation maybe, not sure.

Wow. That's a lot smaller then I would have thought.

From Avast's site, it looks like they match up the CS1 with a Sicce PSK-1000 pump; output on that is 880 gph. I'd use that as a starting point.

I thought the sicce pump was just for the bubbles. Does it require an additional pump for flow through or just the sicce pump?

I thought the sicce pump was just for the bubbles. Does it require an additional pump for flow through or just the sicce pump?

The skimmer you purchased is not a recirculating skimmer and does not need a feed pump. The sicce pump has a venturi and pumps water and air.

Is this a recirculating skimmer? If so, it needs a feed pump. If not, flow through the skimmer will come from the Sicce PSK-1000.

The skimmer you purchased is not a recirculating skimmer and does not need a feed pump. The sicce pump has a venturi and pumps water and air.

There you have it.

I thought the Cs1 was a recirculating skimmer?

It is a a recirculating skimmer per there website so I'm assuming that means it requires an additional pump.

Old reefer is correct. It states in the directions to turn over your tank volume once an hour so in my case about 160 gallons an hour. So it is a very small pump like the mj 1200. Thanks old reefer.r

That sounds about right from when I was asking a while ago. Justin responded to one of my threads on the Avast forum with about that rate.

As you've figured out it IS a recirculating skimmer, so the Sicce is just for the bubbles.

Yep. I appreciate the advice. Simple enough once I understood everything.

The basic CS-1 is not a recirc skimmer. The PSK1000 is all you need (a great pump BTW). The recirc mod is done with an optional kit. If you do the recirc mod, you need a feed pump like a MJ1200.

Of course I did the recirc mod because I like everything in my tank to be as complicated and expensive as possible. It is an affliction I struggle with.

If toy look at the Cs1,kit on there website they are all recirculation skimmers now. Toy can modify it to not be if you chhose. But they do ship as recirculation now.

Sorry about the misspelling. Fat fingers and a cell phone don't mix.

I'm not sure that the original CS-1 design was a recirculating skimmer. I know that more recently they have been.If it is recirculating, there will be a port where you inject water from a feed pump. Do you have a picture of your skimmer?

I ordered a new one tonight. I was just trying to make sure I had everything I needed because there website wasn't very clear about the pump. Got the skimmer, skimate locker, deluxe ato, and probe holder coming. Swabbie was out of stock. Oh well. Maybe later.

I ordered a new one tonight. I was just trying to make sure I had everything I needed because there website wasn't very clear about the pump. Got the skimmer, skimate locker, deluxe ato, and probe holder coming. Swabbie was out of stock. Oh well. Maybe later.

So, is the skimmer recirculating or did you get the recirc kit?

All of the skimmers are recirculating. You can modify the base plate if you choose to so its not recirculating.

pizzaguy is right. See the Avast response to my newbie questions from a while ago on their forum here where he says for a CS1 a feed pump is required.

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/53378-newbie-question-about-sumpskimmeroverflow-sizing/#entry448290

Also, this text from their product page for the CS1:

The recirculating configuration base plate is now standard, but you can still run the skimmer in single-pass mode with a simple modification to the base.

Hey guys, we did take some time off over the holidays but it looks like you all figured it out. A bit of history.....

Cs1.1 was a single pass skimmer

Cs1.2 was a single pass with a recirc kit option

Cs1.3 (current version) is a recirc skimmer that can be converted to a single pass configuration if desired.

The recirc requires a second feed pump in the 100-300gph range, a small powerhead is the recommendation.