Cheap generator option

dmatt56

Hello everyone,

Here is the best option for a cheap generator to get you through the next storm:

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/800-rated-watts-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html

They are typically on sale for $110-119 and you can get a 20% coupon from the value pack mailer. For less than $100 you can power a heater and a return pump to keep your tank safe.

My power went out last night and it kept my tank running!!!

Sure, it won't keep the all equipment running, but it's small, lightweight,

and relatively easy to use.

Matt

I've got one of theirs that's about 1000W. Runs for 5 hours like this one. I used it during the last major blackout that we had - the one where people lost power for a week (I lost it for six hours). Three things I've observed about the model that I have: 1) The run time of 5 hours is not enough for me. It forces you to get up in the middle of the night, which is a pain. 2) It's kind of noisy. That's to be expected though with this kind of generator design, so no biggie. And, 3) if it runs out of gas or quits while running, it can be very difficult to restart. Others have complained about the same on the web. I think it's a case of vapor lock. Without a primer bulb, you pretty much have to wait it out so the fuel flows back to refill the carburetor bowl before it restarts easily.

Harbor Freight stores can be found in Woodbridge and in Montgomery Village. A new one's supposed to be opening up in Sterling soon, but they've been saying that for months.

Hello everyone,

Here is the best option for a cheap generator to get you through the next storm:

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/800-rated-watts-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html

They are typically on sale for $110-119 and you can get a 20% coupon from the value pack mailer. For less than $100 you can power a heater and a return pump to keep your tank safe.

My power went out last night and it kept my tank running!!!

Sure, it won't keep the all equipment running, but it's small, lightweight,

and relatively easy to use.

Matt

I've been thinking about getting that particular model for a while now. How long have you had it? any difficulty starting the 2 cycle engine? I have an old 2 cycle snow blower and its a pain to get it running right in the winter time. I know the total will be in the low $100 with their 20% coupon, but I'm curious the longevity of the generator. I'm always going back and forth between getting this and let it run until it goes out on me (even if it only last me two winter seasons, I'll still get my moneys worth) or go out and get a larger capacity generator that can also be used for other home appliances during an outage.

I've been thinking about getting that particular model for a while now. How long have you had it? any difficulty starting the 2 cycle engine? I have an old 2 cycle snow blower and its a pain to get it running right in the winter time. I know the total will be in the low $100 with their 20% coupon, but I'm curious the longevity of the generator. I'm always going back and forth between getting this and let it run until it goes out on me (even if it only last me two winter seasons, I'll still get my moneys worth) or go out and get a larger capacity generator that can also be used for other home appliances during an outage.

also, keep your eyes out, there will be great deals on generators during black friday. I bought a Champion 3500w generator last year for $280 free shipping. There are other similar deals as well. i use this site to find deals: www.slickdeals.net

if you sign up you can create deal alerts. i did that for "generator" and got a really good deal on mine. I am glad a i got a bigger generator for blackouts. in June when we lost power for 5 days, i was able to keep my fridge running along wtih my tanks and plugged in the sump pump as well. Well wortht he money. Think about how much $$ is in your fridge/freezer that would have to replace. probably almost pays for the generator, let alone the cost of your tank inhabitants.

2-1/2 years. I've only used it a handful of times, though. I've had difficulty starting it when a) it quits (for some reason) when warm and, b) when the tank and carb run dry (runs out of fuel). It seems to take a while for the carb bowl to refill - that's the explanation that I've read, at least. Someone suggested loosening the fuel cap on these generators as they may not vent well. I've not tried that so I don't know if it's a good suggestion or not.

You can often pick these up for under $100 and with a 20% coupon (often found, for example, in the back of a Readers' Digest and probably other magazines), it's downright inexpensive.

I've got a larger, longer-running generator now, but this little one kept my tank going for six critical hours earlier this summer. It's cheap insurance. However, if you have neighbors, they may not like you running it (or any generator like this) through the night.

2-1/2 years. I've only used it a handful of times, though. I've had difficulty starting it when a) it quits (for some reason) when warm and, b) when the tank and carb run dry (runs out of fuel). It seems to take a while for the carb bowl to refill - that's the explanation that I've read, at least. Someone suggested loosening the fuel cap on these generators as they may not vent well. I've not tried that so I don't know if it's a good suggestion or not.

You can often pick these up for under $100 and with a 20% coupon (often found, for example, in the back of a Readers' Digest and probably other magazines), it's downright inexpensive.

I've got a larger, longer-running generator now, but this little one kept my tank going for six critical hours earlier this summer. It's cheap insurance. However, if you have neighbors, they may not like you running it (or any generator like this) through the night.

when it goes on sale for $79 for black friday, along with a 20% coupon it would be about $65. i might grab it, good insurance and easy to carry around for short power outages.

As far as neighbors not liking you run a generator, i wouldnt let that affect me using it. I would never complain about someone else making noise in a time like that. sometimes it helps to let them plug in as well!

During the power outage we had in Oct2011 (4days), my ESSENTIALS were two aquariums, two ponds (lost several big koi !), the fridge, freezer, and pellet stove. The generator mentioned here would never have been enough. While this would be a quick fix for short term, think about any additional cost for the purchase of a larger generator to get you through a day or two of 'really bad luck.'

Just my two cents

During the power outage we had in Oct2011 (4days), my ESSENTIALS were two aquariums, two ponds (lost several big koi !), the fridge, freezer, and pellet stove. The generator mentioned here would never have been enough. While this would be a quick fix for short term, think about any additional cost for the purchase of a larger generator to get you through a day or two of 'really bad luck.'

Just my two cents

LOL. When the power went out this summer for 6 hours, only parts of my aquarium were powered. The rest of us made do with flashlights.

A 5KW generator is now in the garage. I still need to get a manual transfer switch added.

I bought a Champion 3500w generator last year for $280 free shipping. There are other similar deals as well. i use this site to find deals: www.slickdeals.net

I got the same generator last year on sale at tractor supply for $299 and it ran my whole setup and refrigerator for 1 1/2 days and used only 7 gallons of gas. That was great!!

Just to give you an idea what was running at the same time:

1 MP10

2 Tunze 6055

1 Koralia 1400

4 Tunze 6105

1 PanWorld 100PX pump

1 Blue Line 50HD pump

1 Quiet One 3000 pump

52 3W royal blue LEDS

1 400W Halide at a time

2 300W Heaters

Apex Controller

Dosing Pumps

Refrigerator

Cell phone chargers

A few house lamps

Correct, it's a small, cheaper alternative for basic life support. My wife can move this small one, but couldn't begin to pickup the large one without wheels. Likewise, it won't backup a fridge or koi pond, but it will run a return and heater.

The point Tom made about total run time is actually more relevant than you can imagine. Being able to run through the night without refueling does wonders for piece of mind not to mention sleep. Getting a good night's sleep comes in handy when having to deal with this kind of situation during waking hours. It doesn't take much wattage wise to run most tanks, but IME, having a larger capacity generator not only allows you to run it through the night, but also allows you to plug in things like fridges, and space heaters if needed. This will also help justify the increased costs when negotiating with the other decision maker. ;)

-Robert

I bought some cheapo $99-ish mail order generator a few years back.

I tested it, it worked. I then stored it in my basement.

Several months later, I noticed a small coming from my basement.

I was amazed to find that all of the gas that was in the generator was now on my basement floor.

I was equally amazed that it was not on fire yet, since I have 2 gas appliances down there.

I *think* I had found a gas line that had corroded somehow (did not come loose), but I do not recall for sure.

Would have been a good idea to store it without gas in retrospect, which would have meant running it until it was empty.

Be careful...that is really scary stuff.

not sure about the smaller generators, but my generator has a fuel valve that lets you cut-off fuel supply into the fuel lines. This is what I do to switch off the generator before storing. It runs until all fuel lines are clear.

-Robert

The point Tom made about total run time is actually more relevant than you can imagine. Being able to run through the night without refueling does wonders for piece of mind not to mention sleep. Getting a good night's sleep comes in handy when having to deal with this kind of situation during waking hours. It doesn't take much wattage wise to run most tanks, but IME, having a larger capacity generator not only allows you to run it through the night, but also allows you to plug in things like fridges, and space heaters if needed. This will also help justify the increased costs when negotiating with the other decision maker. ;)

You're not kidding. You're already stressed and having to get up right in the middle of what will inevitably be your deepest sleep just adds to the problem. It's one reason my next generator had a larger tank and a 12-hour run time.