DIY Isolation / Acclimation Box

Ryan S

I have lost several new fish that I tried to add to my system, even though I turned the lights out and even tried the "mirror trick." I believe some of my more aggressive resident fish may have been the cause and bullied the new fish, either physically harming them, or stressing them so much that they wouldn't eat, and eventually didn't make it.

As a result, I decided what I needed was an Isolation Box (or Acclimation Box). When looking online, I found a few, but wasn't impressed with their small size and high prices.

Here are some examples of professional boxes. Source 1. Source 2. Source 3.

So I decided to make mine own. I got my materials from wal-mart for $7. The dimensions of the box are 14" x 11" x 11". So it's FAR cheaper than the units linked above, and much bigger.

The white plastic mesh was from the craft/fabric section, and it cost $3. The zip ties were $2. The suction cups were from the hardware section for $1.50. Total cost: $7.

The top has zip tied on three sides, except for about 4" on one end, which folds back to allow fish to be placed in, or removed from, the box. You can add 3 zip ties, one per end side, once the fish are inside, if you want it to be tight. Then you would cut them off when the fish is ready to be added to your display. If the top 1/2" of the box sticks out of the water, you probably wouldn't need any zip ties on the open end really.

The 4 suction cups hold very well. The box is big enough for a large fish, or a several smaller ones at the same time. The mesh can easily be seen through, so the established fish can see the new guys and get used to them, but the holes are small enough that they can't harm the new fish.

I have looked online, and others who lost new fish and tried the professional boxes above saw a much higher success rate by using an acclimation box, and I expect the same results. I'll be adding a second tang to my tank next week, so that will really demonstrate how good this unit is (or isn't). (Especially since my biggest bully is the established yellow tang in my tank).

I have read that you should leave new fish in the box anywhere from 3-5 days or so. Once the established fish no longer seem upset at the new addition, that's when you can release them into the display.

Here are 2 photos of the finished project.

gallery_2631706_10_590537.jpg

gallery_2631706_10_444375.jpg

I think the fish need to see each other to get accustomed to each other. Nice box but I don't see how it's going to work.

(edited)

It's located in the fabric section at wal-mart. The package comes with 6 pieces (perfect for a box!)

It's completely covered in holes, and thus, you can easily see through it.

gallery_2631706_10_263054.jpg

Edited by Ryan S

(edited)

I hope it works for you. I think acrylic or glass would be better.

They aren't made in glass.

Acrylic are nice, but small. Mine is 14"x11"x11".

The biggest acrylic on the market right now are: 11"x9"x5" for $95; or 12"x6"x6" for $55. (plus shipping).

Mine was $7.

No worries. :)

Edited by Ryan S

They aren't made in glass.

Acrylic are nice, but small. Mine is 14"x11"x11".

The biggest acrylic on the market right now are: 11"x9"x5" for $95; or 12"x6"x6" for $55. (plus shipping).

Mine was $7.

No worries. :)

If intervisibility is an issue, it seems to me that you could do the same thing with the side(s) most visible to the other fish out of eggcrate instead of plastic canvas. They could definitely see each other then.

(edited)

If intervisibility is an issue, it seems to me that you could do the same thing with the side(s) most visible to the other fish out of eggcrate instead of plastic canvas. They could definitely see each other then.

I considered eggcrate. However, the holes are too big for small fish. I can acclimate small fish in this one. But if someone was just going to do large fish, that would work too!

Edited by Ryan S

Where did you get the suction cup thingys?

It's located in the fabric section at wal-mart. The package comes with 6 pieces (perfect for a box!)

It's completely covered in holes, and thus, you can easily see through it.

gallery_2631706_10_263054.jpg

i think it will work. i had a similar box used for freshwater cichlids (red devils, green texas) and they were able to see each other. i would worry about the suction cups. maybe use a mag float as a just in case along with the suction cups.

I made some with eggcrate and black gutterguard on the inside. Good visiblity but they're very bulky and I was afraid some edges might scratch.

The suction cups were in the hardware section at walmart for hanging things. I took the metal hooks off them to just use the cups. I am sure home depot would have them too.

I considered a mag float as well, but so far the box holds very well with just the 4 suction cups. It was hard removing it actually (it's extremely light).

I will document the addition of my new blue tang later this week, and we'll see how it works. I am sure the yellow tang will see him and try to get at him at first. He is a bit of a bully. Hopefully after 3 days or so, the yellow tang will lose interest and then I know this was a well-spent $7!

I'm willing to bet that the sides of that mesh will grow algae quickly. Unless the box is in some sort of current, growth on the sides and the small hole size is likely to make the inside of the basket foul quickly due to waste accumulation. Mid-Atlantic had baskets like these way back in the day, and IIRC, they were little algae farms inside. On another note, it might work great as an in tank refugium...

You could get this acrylic sheets from Lowes and drill holes....attaching similarly. Or you could use one acrylic sheet as a window....just drill a few holes for the zip ties to attach to the existing box.

I'm willing to bet that the sides of that mesh will grow algae quickly. Unless the box is in some sort of current, growth on the sides and the small hole size is likely to make the inside of the basket foul quickly due to waste accumulation. Mid-Atlantic had baskets like these way back in the day, and IIRC, they were little algae farms inside. On another note, it might work great as an in tank refugium...

I'm not sure it will become an "algae farm" in 3 days. But, I will take photos of day 1 and day 3, to confirm that.

I have something similar to this, only issue i had was it was had to get flow into it. The holes are so small, but for fish i dont think it will be an issue. No worries on algea, i used this for a bunch of rbta's

I have only one queston...why are you trying to acclimate a Beanie Bear?....lolbiggrin.gif

I have only one queston...why are you trying to acclimate a Beanie Bear?....lolbiggrin.gif

Because it was just coming out of QT, of course! :biggrin:

i used the acrylic sheets sold at Home depot to make mine wasnt that much more and you can make it as big or small as you like, drill a few holes and done, used magnets to keep it in the tank

you could also add one side of acrylic to your easily if you wanted a window the fish could for sure see into....just drill some holes for zip ties.

Hope you figure out whats killen those new additions, i still say they mega crabs you have

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I am happy to report that the Acclimation box has been successful twice now. Over the past 2 weeks I have added 2 new fish to the tank. A filefish and a small blue tang. Both spent 1 day in the acclimation box, where they got used to their new tankmates and vice versa. I then left the acclimation box in the tank a 2nd day (while empty) because it threw off the established fish - (similar to moving live rock in the tank.) On day 3 I removed the box entirely, and both fish were happy, eating, and not being picked on by the established fish.

I will use this box from now on whenever I add any new fish. I am 100% confident it works as intended, both while the fish is inside, and afterward, acting as a "confusion box" allowing the new fish to further be safely intergrated into the new tank neighborhood.

Edit: the suction cups are very strong. 1 will hold the entire box solidly to the glass. 4 are overkill, and actually take a few minutes to detach from the tank.

I will be adding a pair of swallowtail angelfish to the tank next month. I will report back on how the acclimation box works, though I am confident I won't have any problems thanks to its usage.

Edited by Ryan S