My Lemon Chromis laid eggs

Jan

I noticed one branch of my formosa was turning white on the under side. I thought for sure that I had some kind of pest. Then I noticed my largest Yellow Chromis picking on the bleached area. I'm thinking to myself "they're supposed to be reef safe". Everyday the largest chromis would go to that area and pick. Then I noticed what I thought were large polyp extensions in the area where the chromis was picking. This formosa always has it's polyps extended, but these are particularly large. It didn't look like any pest I'd seen or could identify. Then I noticed the chromis' behavior. It would go around the branch in circles with only one other chromis; asmaller chromis. It would chase all other fish away. That behavior is guarding. Identical to what the clownfish do with their anemones and eggs. Then I noticed both the chromis start to pick (what I thought was pick) at the formosa branch. It finally dawned on me that those were not polyps I was seeing. They are eggs. The two chromis are now a mated pair and they are tending to their eggs. I'm very excited about the eggs. I know the fry wont survive once hatched, but it's still really neat to see. I can't say I'm too happy that they chose my formosa to lay their eggs on.

I'll upload pictures shortly.

These are the chromis I have http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1634+3165&pcatid=3165

Edited by Jan

(edited)

You can see the egg mass sticking out underneath the acropora branch in the bleached section. They look like large polyps. All the particles you see in the water column are actually copepods. I've have a explosion of copepods ever since I did large water changes and dosed reef biofuel to bring down my nitrates. :)

040.jpg

038.jpg

037.jpg

031-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

018-2.jpg

Edited by Jan

I'm considering taking that branch off and placing in the sump with the two chromis. There's a section that has mesh and slow flow. My concern is that they will abandon the eggs if I move them.

Thats is so awesome. I wonder if anyone here can take the eggs? Pretty easy to frag that branch off.

I'm considering taking that branch off and placing in the sump with the two chromis. There's a section that has mesh and slow flow. My concern is that they will abandon the eggs if I move them.

Worth the risk because they will die if they are left the display. Time to start growing rotifers :)

Do they do much more than guard the eggs against predation? Would moving them to the sump accomplish the same?

I don't know anything about them. They're fairly new to the hobby. Placing them in the sump would accomplish protecting them from predators. The parents look like they keep debris as well as predators away from the eggs. They actually pick at and around the eggs. I don't know that they'd take the same interest if I distrub their nest. So would placing them in the sump cause them to accumulate debris and smother? I just don't know. Will fish abandon their nest of eggs if they're moved?

Do they do much more than guard the eggs against predation? Would moving them to the sump accomplish the same?

I emailed the facility director of Divers Den in Wisconsin. I got these fish from Liveaquaria. Maybe he has some insight on what i should and should not do. I'll let you know what he says.

Congrats on the spawning pair.

Unless you plan to raise them, I don't see the need to remove the branch from your tank unless the parents are protecting the next and attempting to kill other fish. After a set number of days the eggs will hatch and they will become food for your tank. If you could determine what day the eggs were laid; and how long the eggs take to hatch, you could then move the branch to a separte tank the afternoon before they are to hatch. Many who have raised clowns have done that - removed the tile or rock eggs on at 8th day and put in new tank to hatch.

Right now the parents are just tending to the eggs and probably picking out dead eggs. Best to let them do their job up until day the eggs should hatch.

That is very cool. Nice job documenting it.

This must be pretty common for them since LA has it on their site that they are prone to do this. That would make them "not" reef safe to me.

Spawning Lemon Chromis are known to lay egg masses on coral skeletons or dead

portions of Acropora corals. An industrious pair may clear off portions from

live corals if an alternate spawning material is not provided.

Thanks, Craig.

Ok. I'll keep watching. I think it's been about 7 days since I noticed the white spot. I'd like to try and raise them. I'm sure they will lay eggs again. My concern for them laying eggs again is will they choose another live coral or can I get away with putting a dead colony in the tank for them. They can't keep killing branches of my colony. I lost an entire colony for no apparent reason. It was next to the acropora they laid their eggs on. I wonder if it died from their attempts to lay eggs on it. It was one of the healthiest colonies in my tank. Large too.

Congrats on the spawning pair.

Unless you plan to raise them, I don't see the need to remove the branch from your tank unless the parents are protecting the next and attempting to kill other fish. After a set number of days the eggs will hatch and they will become food for your tank. If you could determine what day the eggs were laid; and how long the eggs take to hatch, you could then move the branch to a separte tank the afternoon before they are to hatch. Many who have raised clowns have done that - removed the tile or rock eggs on at 8th day and put in new tank to hatch.

Right now the parents are just tending to the eggs and probably picking out dead eggs. Best to let them do their job up until day the eggs should hatch.

(edited)

Thanks, David.

That caught my eye as well and made me think that's not reef safe too. How would a reefer know their chromis is ready to lay eggs? I guess we should just have large dead colonies in our tank for them.

That is very cool. Nice job documenting it.

This must be pretty common for them since LA has it on their site that they are prone to do this. That would make them "not" reef safe to me.

Edited by Jan

Thanks, Laura. Yea, it is cool. You've been there with you Bangi Cardinals. :)

Hey Jan, that is super cool. Nice job!

I just found these. Looks like I can snip that branch off and isolate for hatching. I may have already had several hatch. Maybe that's what's floating around. I thought they were pods. The bad news is that they strip acropora so they can lay their eggs on it. To me that makes them NOT reef safe.

http://packedhead.net/2011/amblyglyphidodon-ternatensis-and-rising-tide/

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2011/11/16/working-together-to-be-better-breeders/

(edited)

Good idea, Doug. I'll reach out to him. Thank you.

might take them to fazio or anyone else if he has any batches of rots and he would want to try. may get a couple of them to survive

Edited by Jan

Ok. So I'm going to monitor this batch and document what I see. I don't think this is the first time they laid eggs. I think they killed another colony of mine that had strip marks identical to these and then had RTN.

I will place as many dead coral skeletons as I can find in the tank in hopes that they will use them and keep my eye on them. when they spawn again I'll hand them over to Anthony to see if he can raise them. At some point these guys will have to leave my tank. I just can't have them stripping my acros like this.

Ok. So I'm going to monitor this batch and document what I see. I don't think this is the first time they laid eggs. I think they killed another colony of mine that had strip marks identical to these and then had RTN.

I will place as many dead coral skeletons as I can find in the tank in hopes that they will use them and keep my eye on them. when they spawn again I'll hand them over to Anthony to see if he can raise them. At some point these guys will have to leave my tank. I just can't have them stripping my acros like this.

I'd be happy to take them if you do. The other pair I got from you are doing great. I dont have any SPS, so they would be reef safe for me. I will keep an eye on my pair and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary. Congrats on the mating though.!

I'm so glad the chromis are doing well. Hey, if you put a dead coral colony or maybe a piece of tile somewhere in your tank your pair may lay eggs too. I've got 2 folks interested in the four I have. each would like a pair. I'll let you know If they change their mind.

I'd be happy to take them if you do. The other pair I got from you are doing great. I dont have any SPS, so they would be reef safe for me. I will keep an eye on my pair and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary. Congrats on the mating though.!