External Pump Question

epleeds

I am wondering if it is possible to attach an external pump to a sump without having to drill the sump. Could you attach some PVC tubing in an upside down U shape similar to an HOB overflow and draw the water out of the sump, into the external pump and then to the return plumbing? Or would this cause to much strain on the pump due to having to pull water out of the sump?

I hope someone understands what i am trying to do. Also the sump is 18" in height, if that matters.

I tried that once. I spent a lot of time on it and built a few "sculptures" out of PVC fittings to go over the side, but none really worked consistently. Probably best to get a couple clean garbage cans and drain the sump. It will only hurt for a couple hours.

If it's not self priming, no. Most are not. Manual priming will be needed to get it to start. If the pump is not primed, you can have problems with it after power outages if the priming is lost for whatever reason.

Didn't want to drill the tank so I built a self priming PVC one for about 6 bucks (no glue to boot). Google you tube for it. Looks like an L and U. Hard to explain and pm me if you need a pic. With 1 inch PVC my external pump (1200 gph) seems to keep up fine.

I had one set up like this for years.

It was trivial to set up, and would always start after a power outage (water always stayed in it, so it was always primed).

Took about 5 min to set up.

Here is a pic.

gallery_696_10_142579.jpg

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay