Anyone else going to MACNA ?

dbartco

How did we make out last time?

Pretty well. It's where our cash reserves came from (is what I understand). We also bought the Guam tank that's in the NADC.

One of the reasons MACNA was so successful was because of Doug!

and like 50 other volunteers that all worked. Thank Steve Howard and Craig for bringing it to DC, the proposal, advertising etc.. I worked a lot for the show, but did not come into the picture until we had secured the bid.

So it seems like there is some expertise, some desire, and some people willing to help...

That's a FAAAR cry from pulling it off... but, it is probably enough to bring it up for discussion at the next officer's meeting.

Personally, I would like to see the las vegas hold a Macna.

Just because it's such a family oriented place :biggrin:

Does anyone know where 2013 MACNA is going to be held? (yes I know they will announce it at 2012 MACNA)

But usually it slips out before the announcement.

-B

Yes, Baltimore and DC have hosted the conference. There was talk a few years ago discussing a joint CMAS/WAMAS conference. The separation of monies, volunteers, etc wasn't as easy to combine as one would think. Baltimore a union town as well.

DC and Baltimore Aquariums are the same people running them. My inquiry was kind of rhetorical. We do know one of the new directors of operations of the national aquarium quite well now! Maybe even someone here!

Whoever could you be talking about? ;)

Some of the big things to hosting are ...

- location, location, location. If only there was a bigger hotel near the dulles expo. Crystal city hyatt was good, but freight elevator to get vendors into exhibit hall underground was pain last time we hosted. As for Dulles expo - would be good for vendors, but speaker setup would be challenge & last I looked, the hotel near dulles expo only has a few hundred rooms. You go into DC or MD and you get into unions working exhibit hall that drive your cost up. Not saying we couldn't go back to crystal hyatt - but we would have to change some things to make it work better.

-2nd selling exhibit boot space is a lot of work. and you need a good way to track space - what is sold/available in real time; come up with fair prices and be able to negotiate deals to get hall filled.

- 3rd is getting good room rates; exhibit hall rates; and food minimum prices that don't kill your budget. And learn not to serve ice cream at friday social event when you have cash bar minimum as eating ice cream and drinking lots of beer do not mix - we lost out on cash bar minimum that night. Thanks to WSI and him buying 2 fancy bottles of wine at saturday dinner we barely covered cost of having 2 cash bars. Other lesson is to encourage attendees to buy from cash bar at events - or work out pricing so that we get credit at other hotel bars - when we hosted peeps were buing form hotel bar when we had cash bar and we didn't get credit for sale to help us meet minimum.

- 4th finding a date that does not conflict with all the pet industry trade shows.

- 5th was tracking registration & payments ... but with peeps like Brian and Tom and their computer skills, that now would be a lot easier to manage. Last time we lacked a good computer person and we had to manually copy over registration info. from paypal and webdata to ACT database. :(

- 6th would need to come up with better plan on pricing daily events for members - we had internal discussions last time b/w those who wanted to charge members the prices we did to attend and those like me who wanted a lower price for members to attend daily events. End result - I think we charged a little to high for members and the numbers showed that as we had somewhat poor attendance numbers from our own members. In the end I think this would come down to goal and numbers game - if you can sell enough tickets to national attendees to cover costs - then you could offer low cost to members. Or what is the goal of the event - to make a lot of cash for the club or would it be to make enough to cover costs with a little left over for club... and lower prices for all.

Booking speakers is the easy task of hosting.

The club made over $15k when we hosted. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I would like to see the las vegas hold a Macna.

Just because it's such a family oriented place :biggrin:

Does anyone know where 2013 MACNA is going to be held? (yes I know they will announce it at 2012 MACNA)

But usually it slips out before the announcement.

-B

First Rumor Has Leaked:

MACNA 2013: Miami

http://www.acuaristica.com/blog/2012/09/se-cuece-macna-2013-mas-interesante-que-nunca/

Wicked! I spoke for FMAS last year again and they told me they were pushing hard to get an upcoming MACNA. That rocks!

See everyone in Dallas that's going.

John