Looking for a new return pump - Does anyone use a WaterBlaster 5000 or 7000

epleeds

Quantum reefs got me a great price for a compact 5000 ehiem so I will be giving that a try. Hopefully it will be enough. If not I will try the ATB Flowstar 1500. Will update with the results of the ehiem once I get it hooked up. Anyone looking for a 1262 for a return pump?

PSH... Just bought one (from Quantum Reefs) haha

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

I just looked at the thread. Makes my tank look small. What size drains are they using and how is it plumbed? I could not tell by the pics.

They are using two 1.5" drains.

Awesome guys! Glad to know your trying them out. I just hooked up a compact+ 2000 for my 93g cube. Just enough pump. I don't like a ton of flow going through my sump. It causes micro bubble issues and makes everything less effective. Low wattage and super quiet.

The other thing I like about the Rheims is that you can soft plumb them. That's what I did. No worries about loosing flow with elbows and not worries about micro bubbles. 3/4 nipple out to 3/4" nipple on return bulkhead. 3/4" black vinyl tubing in between. Makes it also easy to clean the pump and maintenance it when needed. :biggrin:

I have a true union on the end of my piping that i screwed right onto the 1262. I am hoping that I can do the same with the 5000+. That way, i can keep the same plumbing.

(edited)

They are using two 1.5" drains.

Chris,

are they running full siphon or durso's

and are the pumps running full bore or tuned down?

Edited by epleeds

• 2 weeks later...

ok. So i picked up a compact 5k from Quantum Reef and just hooked it up this morning. The flow is exactly the same as my 1262. NO adjustment to the gate valve in any way and the water level is right where its supposed to be.

This doesn't seem right since the 5k should be pushing about 400 more GPH then the 1262. But at the end, it is pushing the same.

So, do i just keep one of the ehiem's and run the risk of the gate valve being almost 90% closed or should I but the ATB flowstar or get a Water Blaster 10k and plumb it externally?

I am running the Herbie overflow method. One drain is a full siphon, second is an emergeny drain and one return. You have to use a gate valve to be able to make adjustments so that u can get the full siphon off the drain. It is silent but due to the large diameter, the gate valve is almost 90% closed. Let me see if I have a pic.

Well.... That just went over my head. LOL

Why not just use regular drains and dursos? Are they that much louder?

Regular drains and Dursos are too easy. The Herbie drain is what results when Tim the Toolman gets involved. :tongue:

Well.... That just went over my head. LOL

Why not just use regular drains and dursos? Are they that much louder?

Yes, they are much louder. When u have the full siphon perfect, you can hear a thing.

if you go with the waterblaster 10k.

since your sump is acrylic, could you cut (dremel) the return area and glue in some new acrylic to make the return pump area big enough?? not ideal but definately doable if you want it to be internal still...probably less work to make externale but also less chance of leaking if internal.

not sure if its possible but....or you could try to place the pump in the main chamber, and drill into the return chamber and just have it draw in water from the return area (but the pump actually sits in the main...kinda like running it externally cept its actually still in the sump.

Here is my 220 with the HY10000 running going through my sump and a pretty good pace. i too am running the Herbie method and its pretty quiet when tuned. the only down fall to me so far is the water evaporation, about 2 1/2 gallons every 3-4 days. My tank is in the cycling stage and should be about done. just got to find the time to finish it up.

post-982-134729871653_thumb.jpg

post-982-134729873251_thumb.jpg

post-982-134729912467_thumb.jpg

Here is my 220 with the HY10000 running going through my sump and a pretty good pace. i too am running the Herbie method and its pretty quiet when tuned. the only down fall to me so far is the water evaporation, about 2 1/2 gallons every 3-4 days. My tank is in the cycling stage and should be about done. just got to find the time to finish it up.

Nice looking tank and some sweet equipment there. I see that your running the pump wide open. How many drains are you running and what is the diameter of the drains. Are you running two returns or just one? Have you checked to see how far the gate valve is closed at full siphon?

Nice looking tank and some sweet equipment there. I see that your running the pump wide open. How many drains are you running and what is the diameter of the drains. Are you running two returns or just one? Have you checked to see how far the gate valve is closed at full siphon?

i am running both drains, both are separate one is valved for the Herbie and probably turned maybe 1/4 closed going into a sock and the other is the emergency straight into the sump both of these are 1" drains.

i also have the HY5000 and may use that as the flow is almost too much witht the HY10000. i have MP40es that will move water inside the tank so i should have plenty of flow

i am running both drains, both are separate one is valved for the Herbie and probably turned maybe 1/4 closed going into a sock and the other is the emergency straight into the sump both of these are 1" drains.

i also have the HY5000 and may use that as the flow is almost too much witht the HY10000. i have MP40es that will move water inside the tank so i should have plenty of flow

I was thinking that a 1" drain with the 10k might be too much. That is what i am worried about but if I do it, I am going to put a ball valve on the end of the pump so that I can limit the flow coming out of it if i need too. I will also have 3 MP-40's that I plan on using for the tank for internal flow. My main issue is how to deal with the gate valve being 90% closed. I think if i go to the 10k pump it will do all that i need.

• 3 weeks later...

I too, am running the 1262. I am running mine wide open. The 1" (back pipe) is the main, I guess, It is flowing a full siphon and the "durso" is running with just a trickle coming out...so I would think that is my "emergency". The durso will handle the 1262 all by itself, it's just loud with out the other pipe.

overflow.jpg

Ur 75% closed. That's crazy. I thought it would only go 50% with the 1".

Yea, I have a union between the bulkhead and gate valve. I took it off just to see, and was shocked how much it was closed.

It's only pushing 53" of head with a 'U' at the top into the tank with 3/4" lockline.