Controller Advise...

NYfan78

I have a Red Se Max 130/34gal. set up. I was thinking for doing a controller on it. What are the benefits of a controller on a nano tank like mine? and which model should I consider? Any help is much appreciated!

Safety functions, data logging, and perhaps remote monitoring.

:)

I'm running an RKL (digital aquatics) for my lights and heater. Thing is awesome and for just over $100. There are others that can control alot more, but I have not found the need as of yet. Once my new tank is up and running I might have to upgrade but I have been using this for two years without any issues.

Heater control to me is the single most important function.

Email alerts , monitoring are great

Previously I would control lights and pumps...but newer LEDs now have controllers for lights built into them

If u use a ca reactor ...then a controller is also helpful, to prevent from nuking

Oh...ato also is good with a controller but u can get standalone ones to fit the bill too...

I use a ato plus additional safety floats controlled by the ato

But in the end I would say at the very least get a rkl for dual heater control...

If ur pockets are deep u can go apex or rke...both are great...I use both

My tank has a built in light timer. I would manly useit for heater and the cooling fan that blows over the water.

I have a reefkeeper lite for my nano that I'm bringing to college with me. Main thing I got it for is temperature control, but also e-mail/text alerts, light control, etc. A good temperature controller will cost you near a hundred bucks alone, so you get a lot more for just $20 more (though the e-mail/text/computer part- the NET module- will cost you another $115)

I was looking at the Neptune Apex Jr. system. http://www.neptunesy...id=61&Itemid=40

Now i know it has an app for my phone and is expandable for when I go bigger. Also not sure if it is wireless.

It's not wireless by itself, but is wireless compatible...

"Compatible with wireless bridges or game adapters (802.11x) so that wireless network communication is possible"

Just like the regular Apex.

Im a huge fan of my Apex. The downside is it can be a real PITA to set up for remote access initially.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I use the ReefAngel controller, and recommend it highly. It is more expensive than some of the brands mentioned here but depending on what you want to do, would work fine.

Ok i m confused. I wont be able to control it from the app on my phone?

Scott, the Apex and Apex, Jr. both have an integrated webserver and hardwired Ethernet port. If you can hardwire it to a router and can open the router ports to allow an outside connection to reach the Apex, you can get to it from the app on your phone. There's a good "unofficial guide" to the Apex that can help you set up and open the ports on a number of different brands of routers.

If you don't can't hardwire the connection to the Apex, you can use what's known as a wireless game adapter to help bridge the connection between the router and the Apex.

OMG, I just read through all that Tom and this seems so confusing. First off I rent a inlaw suite and do not have access to the router as I use there wireless netowrk so not sure how this would work.

OMG, I just read through all that Tom and this seems so confusing. First off I rent a inlaw suite and do not have access to the router as I use there wireless netowrk so not sure how this would work.

Yep its going to be a PITA lol. I had a tough time with it hardwired to the router...i can only imagine having to figure out the wireless complications

^I did exactly that... I currently share wireless with my worthless landlord who I have zero desire to have any conversations with. Ever...

However, I was able to figure out how to configure the router without talking to them or accessing the router. Something I had going for me: They are technologically illiterate.

PM me and I may be able to give advise and help.

The "users guide" is kind of intimidating to just read through, but if you ahve everything in hand, it steps through all the processes quite well.

CHAD -- Once i get one i will def PM you and have you help me. I am really only gona be using it for my heating and cooling.

In the end, the apex is totally worth it.

Scott, be aware that if you're renting an in-law suite and you're just tapping off their wireless, but not in control of the router, you'll have to get the owner to help you, or let you configure it to open a port to the Apex. If you can't open and forward a port, you won't be able to access the Apex from outside. It's not a limitation of the Apex in any way. It has to do with how stuff is routed inside a typical home network, which is not normally visible from the outside.