worm5406's 180g Reef in SOMD

Well the snow really made me enjoy a few things the past few days.

I have been looking for a gig for a while, while I want a blue one, I am not partial to any that come in and are healthy. 

This past Wednesday, yeah just as the snow was starting to fall, I wondered into Quantum Reefs. There was a sign on the door that stated something like "Be back at 6 picking up shipment" 

Ya know it was just before 6 so I decided to go ahead and wait.

I am really glad I waited.

They come back in with like 8 boxes.

Now I did have a heads up that something special/extra might be come in that shipment. They had been looking for a month or two. 

I gave a hand and helped unload/open a few boxes, being a curious customer.... hahahaha

PLOP... there was this bag that had a silhouette of a mushy ball of flesh. For those that know about Gig's and shipping, they do bad and really are one of the worse shippers. 

As you can see by this next picture, it was pretty hard to see through the bag, but I took a chance.

20140212_184911.jpg

So I took it home and spun up the HT tank for it.

I have been working with a few other reefers on re-writing protocols for successful keeping of gigs. This involves using cipro and daily water changes along with light to help the gig not only get acclimated but survive/reduce the expellation of zooanthae algae during this acclimation.

Stichodactyla gigantea has been one of the most difficult in the home aquarium aspect to keep not only alive after shipping but alive in a tank in general. While some have no problems to just drop them in, there are quite a few that are a bit of a stickler. 

20140212_212426.jpg

Then I set up a camera to take a series of time=lapse films.

These show it in all sorts of states. With the video I could pinpoint down to a certain accuracy how much light I needed to set (strength and duration) and also showed just how much it was expelling and how it reacted.

20140212_213440.jpg

20140213_143457-SNOW.gif

20140213_154756.jpg

Here is a play list that will show you the past 4 days of video, with a few extras in it too:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVUkbFOyEFjPIJY2-KtEtVThxjIhkUoIY

There are about 10 videos in there. Right now I am up to 4 days. So there is still a lot of time to go until it will be in the DT, but things are going forward. 

I also have a live webcam setup to monitor it and let people watch/see it at different times of the day/night. 

It has been getting better and better over the past 4 days and is responding to cipro and keeping a healthy form/disposition. 

I hope you enjoy and please ask away with the questions and comments.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really impressive! That gig is WAY nicer than a blue one, and I applaud your diligence in researching and trying different ways to acclimate and keep them alive! I'm even happier that you waited at QR for such an awesome grab, because I know you will keep us UTD. It reminds me of "Animal" from the Muppets for some strange reason.

HAHAHAHA.. I liked animal.. I remember when it came out, not in re-runs.

Here is an updated overview. I need to do this right. but I was waiting on something and had a few minutes to spare.

The frags in the first tank (120) are the ones I got from outlawsteve, a few people have been asking to see them.

This has been a work in the making for a bit.

Here is a playlist that shows the new gig and it's progress over the last 5 days. 

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...EtVThxjIhkUoIY

Ohhh here is a new video of a top down look too:

I did not take any new pics of the 120, as I am trying to concentrate on the gig a bit more. 

Thanks for following everyone and the comments!

If you have any questions or suggestions please please ask.

Edited by worm5406

• 3 weeks later...

Well the gig did not make it. It passed away on march 1st. I do believe it had something before I got it and the antibotics just could not handle it.

I took some new video's:

Dang man, sorry to hear. I was hoping that was going to make it. Nice vid. Love the bristeworm at about a minute that makes it's way across your frame, and then gets featured in the next series. That's a monster, but the music is so soothing, I'm not sure how to feel about it!

Dang man, sorry to hear. I was hoping that was going to make it. Nice vid. Love the bristeworm at about a minute that makes it's way across your frame, and then gets featured in the next series. That's a monster, but the music is so soothing, I'm not sure how to feel about it!

HAHAHA Yeah that is a long one. There is one that stays in the back that is bigger. 

Cant believe your bristleworm is tame! mine hide.

Mine are real tame, I can put my hand in there and they come up to me and rub against me. Just kidding on the last part, but mine have no problem in the day.

Sorry to hear about the nem :(

And get rid of that crazy worm! It's so longgggggg

Yeah the GIG was going to be a center piece of my 120g tank, It is better though. Plus I did not infect/affect anything int he 180g DT/

Sorry for your loss of the nem!!!

Thanks!

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates.

So here comes a big update.

I am getting a 265g to add to it.

So I will have a 120 + 180 + 265 and of course add associated sumps.

They do have counselors for this kind of addiction........

I went......didn't work :cool:

Good luck with the new build!

Yeah.. I know...  Adding in a QT and such will push me close to 800 gallons. 

I am making a mixing station that has 2x 200g 6 foot tall storage stations. One for RODI and one for SW-Mix. That way I can also do daily water changes 

Uuugh... when does it end? I think I see the abyss ahead. LOL

Things are moving forward.

Ordered a CaRx today. Worked with CNC guy on overflow. Ordered some media.

Yawn.. Is it Friday yet?

I know the feeling, I don't know when my build will be done. Just keep pushing forward. Is the 265 in the same area as the 120 & 180? if so that would be a bonus with the mixing station.

What kind of CaRx?

If you look at my WebCam: worm5406.from-md.com:83 you will see the 120 on the left the 180 in the center and then a 55g on the right. Where the 55, and the RODI, is located, is where the 265 and stand will go. All three tanks will be up and running. Yes the water will be available to all of them.

265 is 7 foot and that wall is 8 foot.

I ordered a LifeReef CaRx.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
(edited)

WOW a bunch has changed since those last pictures/video above.

Here is a small video of upgrading two DC12000 pumps last night with Vectra L1's. 

http://youtu.be/YMDY3V2_enQ

I forgot how to embed videos. 

Edited by worm5406

WOW a bunch has changed since those last pictures/video above.

Here is a small video of upgrading two DC12000 pumps last night with Vectra L1's. 

http://youtu.be/YMDY3V2_enQ

I forgot how to embed videos.

i usually just copy the URL from youtube and remove the "s" in https and it works on here.

i usually just copy the URL from youtube and remove the "s" in https and it works on here.

I did that... let me try another one.