jimlin tank

jimlin

I wouldn't worry about the calc. Just try to get the alk up slightly. Adjust want element at a time. First alk and the calc will probably come down on it's own. If you try to drop the calc and raise the alk if you might get a spike of alk and cause more issues.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm. the halides does get hot enough to bend plastic, but does not heat up the metal shelf too much. (much cooler than the glass on the fixture). 96 par from my research is on the low side for sps, so i am in the process of lowering the light and eventually have it sit on top of the tank instead of the shelf. par at the halide 416 par right under water 289 par. shocked at the par dropoff in the water. really looking into the evergrow led fixture. i raised alk from 7 to 7.5 yesturday. will raise it a little everyday until i hit 9. hopefully this will make the corals happy.

I would wait until you adjust your alk. You may not need to move the lights and you certainly don't want to be changing a bunch of things at the same time.

Be patient. Get you alk up and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks sharkey, i took your advice and the alk is stable at 9. no change with the corals. all polyps are still out, but not as bright as i would like. lowering the halides caused a temp swing. i raised the temp from 79 to 81 in order to lessen the swing. going to leave the halides where they are at until everything settles down. for my other tank i added a rapid led intensity controller which allows me to change the intensity and color of the leds. i am also planning on just spending the money and buy the in-tanked media basket for it as well. it is probably the only way to be sure most of the water is going through the media. pic of back side of project aquapod.20121019_141636_zps66d0dbe5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
started breaking down my tank. so sad.

Haven't been following. Why the breakdown?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I will be moving to Hawaii soon.

I wouldn't be all that sad. Set it up there.

Wow! Well at least you finally know where you are going. And Hawaii is not a bad gig! You'll have lots of great coral and fish options there. We'll miss you!

Wow! Well at least you finally know where you are going. And Hawaii is not a bad gig! You'll have lots of great coral and fish options there. We'll miss you!

That's what I was thinking A great place to work this hobby and to even try your hand at some collecting.

,so i modified the auto top off.

i used pipes and end caps to build the housing for the float switch which will keep the critters out.

drilled some holes on the bottom side for water go go in.

now it fits in the back chamber of my aquapod.

i have to figure out how to mount them.

20121123_145057.jpg20121123_145336.jpg20121123_145425.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jimlin, are you still heading out to Hawaii? What an awesome spot to start a reef tank, if that's the case, take it with you!

i am taking everything with me. all the live stock are gone already.i probably wont be able to keep corals for a while, but it will give me plenty of time to work on the tanks. in the end, 75 gallon will be fish only, 24 jbj will be sps lps and 24 aquapod will be softies and maybe some l, although the aquapod has the diy cree lights capable to grow sps.

When is the move? Will you still post with WAMAS? You're one of the few people who are following my nano and builds, I need all the help and encouragment I can get!