Yauger's 24 gallon Cardiff Nano

yauger

It's been up for 4 months now and running great! These pictures are by my iPhone so please excuse the quality. A couple of my friends have been bugging me to post some pictures so here you go! Oh btw I know some think this is strange but I run this tank with NO FISH! For me it's all about the corals.

485334af-0dac-80ed.jpg

485334af-0dc4-8bce.jpg

485334af-0ddb-040d.jpg

485334af-0dea-86a3.jpg

485334af-0dfa-1923.jpg

485334af-0e0c-18f5.jpg

485334af-0e1f-009c.jpg

485334af-0e32-e867.jpg

485334af-0e44-97ee.jpg

485334af-0e52-0a84.jpg

485334af-0e61-ac94.jpg

485334af-0e71-f687.jpg

485334af-0e80-a023.jpg

485334af-0e93-0ecc.jpg

485334af-0ea9-cf7c.jpg

485334af-0ebe-30ff.jpg

485334af-0ecb-c9d7.jpg

485334af-0edc-eb2c.jpg

485334af-0ef1-7f8c.jpg

485334af-0f05-c49c.jpg

485334af-0f16-7253.jpg

485334af-0f25-29b7.jpg

485334af-0f37-4043.jpg

485334af-0f44-9236.jpg

485334af-0f58-1785.jpg

485334af-0f73-a3b2.jpg

485334af-0f83-6eff.jpg

485334af-0f94-3829.jpg

485334af-0fa7-6b21.jpg

485334af-0fbb-0c9d.jpg

485334af-0fc8-cb4a.jpg

485334af-0fea-b7bc.jpg

I'd fux wit it. Is that orange setosa? I'd like to get a piece of that one day.

thnx if it ever spits out a baby I'll keep you in mind!

If I could get someone who can really take quality pictures of reef tanks that would be awesome. Sadly my skills at photography is horrible! I can pay you in beer and pizza. :cool:

Tank looks great! I think taking pics under LEDs is hard, at least from what I've seen. I need to come over and check out your setup soon (as well as doing that Woodbridge tank crawl :)

Very nice, love the zoas.

• 2 weeks later...

Lemonade acro is starting to turn a bright yellow. This is after two months of it being greenish yellow. Stoked!

485334af-32c4-2788.jpg

really beautiful, healthy corals.

Would you please share your water parameters? I am having trouble keeping some of my zoas from melting away.

We're not beer drinkers, but we like pizza! Jon might be able to help you out with pictures (especially as you're so close).

And I'd love to travel along on that Woodbridge crawl that Roni mentioned too.

Maureen

really beautiful, healthy corals.

Would you please share your water parameters? I am having trouble keeping some of my zoas from melting away.

We're not beer drinkers, but we like pizza! Jon might be able to help you out with pictures (especially as you're so close).

And I'd love to travel along on that Woodbridge crawl that Roni mentioned too.

Maureen

to be honest I'm more old school than most when it comes to keeping up with my tank. water changes are the key basically. I have no skimmer (well I do but I don't run it unless theres something serious going on) the lights come on @ 3:30pm and go back off @ 10pm I do not have any moonlights so it gives the zoanthids and palythoas a chance to close up for the night. I used to does the tank with Vitamin C and amino acids but I found that in such a small system you can do more harm than good. I almost forgot I do keep track of my ALK and MAG in the tank and keep the prams up around 9dkh and 1200 respectively. aside from that I keep a good eye on my Z's & P's; if they are beginning to look bad I will take them out of the tank and do a 3 day dip cycle of iodine and hydrogen peroxide. I use lugols for the iodine. day 1 I would get a small container and do a hydrogen peroxide dip for about 4 minutes (use a turkey blaster to agitate the polyps) you should use a small container and basically do 1 part peroxide and 2 part water 30/70. afterwards rinse the polyps in fresh tank water. typically I would wait a good hour or so between dips. Afterwards I would do a iodine dip 10 drops per 15 - 20 oz of tank water in a small container. let it soak for 5 minutes. I usually repeat the iodine dip for the next 2 days or until the polyps look better, but I tend to hold off on the peroxide unless I see die off.

If you come over to my place I could show you by example. Z's & P's are a pain sometimes but once you find a happy spot for them they are beautiful!

hope that helps!

to be honest I'm more old school than most when it comes to keeping up with my tank. water changes are the key basically. I have no skimmer (well I do but I don't run it unless theres something serious going on) the lights come on @ 3:30pm and go back off @ 10pm I do not have any moonlights so it gives the zoanthids and palythoas a chance to close up for the night. I used to does the tank with Vitamin C and amino acids but I found that in such a small system you can do more harm than good. I almost forgot I do keep track of my ALK and MAG in the tank and keep the prams up around 9dkh and 1200 respectively. aside from that I keep a good eye on my Z's & P's; if they are beginning to look bad I will take them out of the tank and do a 3 day dip cycle of iodine and hydrogen peroxide. I use lugols for the iodine. day 1 I would get a small container and do a hydrogen peroxide dip for about 4 minutes (use a turkey blaster to agitate the polyps) you should use a small container and basically do 1 part peroxide and 2 part water 30/70. afterwards rinse the polyps in fresh tank water. typically I would wait a good hour or so between dips. Afterwards I would do a iodine dip 10 drops per 15 - 20 oz of tank water in a small container. let it soak for 5 minutes. I usually repeat the iodine dip for the next 2 days or until the polyps look better, but I tend to hold off on the peroxide unless I see die off.

If you come over to my place I could show you by example. Z's & P's are a pain sometimes but once you find a happy spot for them they are beautiful!

hope that helps!

Thanks so much for this comprehensive explanation!

We're doing regular water changes and have a tank log on Excel to record temp/salinity/nitrates/water changes/media changes, etc.

Some of my zoanthids thrive, many just seem to fade away over time. I will share your post with Jon and discuss if we should consider making any changes.

Thanks again,

Maureen

the best trick with zoas and palys is to get them in a happy spot in respect to flow and lighting. some of my zoas started to melt when I had them down low with moderate flow. I dipped them and placed them up high and in front of the vortech and now they are growing faster than ever. like I said before you just have to keep moving and dipping them until they are happy. PITA but worth it in the end. contrary to what some have said Z's & P's are not easy to care for sometimes. oh and mine thrive in a super low nutrient system because I have no fish :blink: and just a handful of snails to eat film algae.

I just re-booted my 30g with zoas and LPS. Maybe after work sometime you could drop by and give me some tips.

anytime I would love to. you should check out the tank one day since you live on base. I live not to far from Belvoir down in Woodbridge.

• 3 weeks later...

New gems I found.

Rainbow Yuma

485334af-bcbb-1c79.jpg

I also picked up this frag. Only 1" large but a head turner.

485334af-bd27-aaaa.jpg

where did you get that yuma??? its freakin AWESOME!! clap.gif

http://www.donavonsreef.com/home

this guy has some awesome stuff at great prices...

$55 for shipping multiple corals which isn't to bad. it's best if you go into a order with a couple friends to share the shipping costs.