Need advice on how to treat fish

Jan

(edited)

Ok. Most of the spots have dropped off the fish but its face and head have gotten worse. Eye still swollen. I just changed all water except a tiny tiny bit because it had prazi in it (I wonder if the prazi caused them to drop?). I then dosed 1/2 mfr recommended dose of Coppersafe. (Mfr recommends 1ml for every 4 gallons. I have a 20 gallon QT. Full dose would be 5ml. Half is 2.5 ml) All this as directed by DD supervisor (really patient, knowledgable nice, nice guy!). Tomorrow I will dose Formalin full strength and continue dosing every other day. Wish me luck!

Oh, and it pays to think things through. I have two tanks dedicated for Qt and Treatment; a 29 and 20. The 20 was going to be used for meds, in particular copper if I needed to use copper. Good thing I thought it all out. Now I have to label everything "C" in red.

Off topic -

:wacko: i've had enough of multi tasking. I need a really great vacation on a beach somewhere far away. I wonder if the bus lady would be willing to share her vacation money :) I'm so glad everyone was so generous to her. If any of those kids were my kid, OMG, what I'd do....

Edited by Jan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't hear about the poor elderly bus attendant on a school bus that was bullied by 4 boys? It went viral on the internet. It was heartbreaking to watch. Do a search on google. The public sent her money for a vacation. So far she's gotten over 500,000.00. She deserved all that money for what those kids did to her.

Umm bus lady and money? IM LOST on that?

Did you get your fish from Divers Den too? Are your infected fish in your DT (trying to catch powder blue tang?)?

My fish are all in QT and getting along so no need to seperate them or to create a wall. All the fish have ich. The male you see infested has not eaten in days. He also came with discoloration to his head, an open wound and an inflammed eye. It may be injury from shipping or bacterial infection. "Pop-eye" is usually bilateral. Unilateral eye inflammation is usually a result of injury. Hopefully they will respond positively with treatment. Good luck with your fish.

I have one infected in my DT, a Powder Brown. the hippo is waiting for company in my QT. I have been down this road before, a couple of times. I am trying to be gentle about catching him, but he is still acting very healthy, swimming very fast, feisty and evasive. I have some egg crate i use to divide the tank for catch fish like this though. it's a process, so it takes time which is why i haven't done it yet. I plan to give it a shot tonight, but we'll see how much time I have left after i put my kid to bed.

Jan, I'm glad you were able to get some advice from them and have decided to go with copper and formalin. Where are you keeping your SG at now? What ppm of copper are you planning to shot for? How long will treatment go on for?

(edited)

You didn't hear about the poor elderly bus attendant on a school bus that was bullied by 4 boys? It went viral on the internet. It was heartbreaking to watch. Do a search on google. The public sent her money for a vacation. So far she's gotten over 500,000.00. She deserved all that money for what those kids did to her.

well as a public school bus driver i have hred these things and worse and we dont have any other adults with us on our busses ... a feel bad for her BUT the bus driver should have been told the second this started and these kids should have been hauled into the princable's office the second these horriable things where said and deff when she was touched and had there bus riding privelages supbended !!!!!!! she should NOT have let this go on as long as it appers to have gone on

Edited by tightline

I agree somewhat. She's old and apparently very passive. A victim. Like many people who are bullied she does not know how to defend herself. She appears like a very easy going low key person. I don't blame her at all. I would have had charges brought against them for verbal harrassment and physical assault. Those kids need more than bus privelages taken away. They need to see what happens when you're of legal age and decide to take those actions a little further before they get to that point.

well as a public school bus driver i have hred these things and worse and we dont have any other adults with us on our busses ... a feel bad for her BUT the bus driver should have been told the second this started and these kids should have been hauled into the princable's office the second these horriable things where said she was touched and had there bus riding privelages supbended !!!!!!! she should NOT have let this go on as long as it appers to have gone on

(edited)

I agree somewhat. She's old and apparently very passive. A victim. Like many people who are bullied she does not know how to defend herself. She appears like a very easy going low key person. I don't blame her at all. I would have had charges brought against them for verbal harrassment and physical assault. Those kids need more than bus privelages taken away. They need to see what happens when you're of legal age and decide to take those actions a little further before they get to that point.

soo ture she prob should not have this job if she is not willing to disaplin those children as it seems she did not...i have and will continue to pull my bus over and have the cops yes cops come onto my bus for major probmels i got hit in the face and kicked leaving hudge bruse on my leg trying to break up a fight anout 5 years ago NOT again these kids have no boundries or consaquences for bad behavior these days parents ar LAZY LAZY LAZY

Edited by tightline

(edited)

Me too. Seve is a really nice knowledgable person. Very patient as well. He didn't treat me like I didn't know what I was doing or talking about. He worked with me and what I was observing and the pics I sent. He said that the fish may have urea burns because the PH was below 7.8. Which was a good thing for them to know for shipping purposes. Fish may have to arrive earlier. I've got an open line of communication with him, which is also good. But I'm not using it unless I absolutley have to.

He filled me in on everything DD does with their fish. What he oversees and their protocols. They do treat prophylactically. Whereas LA only observes and treats when they see something. It's a sort period of obsevation. We areboth stumped that the male GW wont eat. He says we will not release them unless they are eating like pigs. We discussed the possability of anorexia because I read an article that said sometimes fish, Angels in particular, will just shut down from shipping stress and starve. I told him that I would attempt to force feed if I had to. He reviewd that with me. They give their fish a mild sedative before they force feed. This fish is too active for me to hold. The last Angel let me handle him without any problems.

We also discussed the erfects of parasites and disease on the gils and how many times it is irreversable, which is what I wanted to know about the blackspot Angel that died. Were his injuries from the infestation of parasitic copepodes too much for him to recover. We pretty much agreed that is what happened. Customer service could not answer those questions for me which was very frustating.

When asked why this fish manifested with ich if it was treated. I asked "once treated for ich isn't out of their system?" He was honest enough to tell me there is much debate about that. Some schools of thought say it's never out of their system.

We discussed the injuries as well and concluded that is was probably do to very rough handling during transit. I saw the women that tried to p/u the box. She was a real brute about it. I had to tell her to stop and take the box from her.

SG is 1.026. All he said was cut the dose in half. I've not checked what ppm of copper half dose equals. I'll test it today before I add the formalin. He did not give me a number to aim for. Tx will go for as long mfr suggests in their instructions for use.

Some positives, I guess. I'm still angry that I have to do this when I paid top dollar for these fish to avoid this very thing.

Jan, I'm glad you were able to get some advice from them and have decided to go with copper and formalin. Where are you keeping your SG at now? What ppm of copper are you planning to shot for? How long will treatment go on for?

Edited by Jan

You could slowly shot for a lower SG to reduce osmotic stress. I would make sure the copper is close to but not over .2 ppm and threat for two weeks. CopperSafe is very safe, even for angelfish. Because they have ammonia or urea burns to their gills I would make sure the water has really good O2 exchange.

(edited)

He ate!!! He just ate frozen rotifors. Yay!!! The copper read was about .2. I'm really guessing because the color wasn't on the chart. It was more blue than gray but the next color after gray was purple to darker purple so I think it's safe. this copper test color chart starts off at green goes to gray and then purple. But I dosed only half so I'm sure I'm okay. It's a new kit. Expensive these copper test kits!

Also just dosed full strength formalin. all the spots are gone on the Bellus and female GW. the majority of the spots are gone from the male GW. He's breathing fine and venturing out chasing the female a little. All good signs.

Edited by Jan

I'm hopeful, but still upset about all the money and time I've spent having to go through all of this.

I'm going to call them and see what they can do for me to make me happy. These fish were very expensive. More than I've ever paid for fish, ever!

I got $500.00 from from Vafound money that was sitting with the comptroller for me for a few years, so I thought I'd treat myself. This isn't a treat.

Sounds like maybe things are going to turn out alright, Jan. Great news.

I'm hopeful, but still upset about all the money and time I've spent having to go through all of this.

I'm going to call them and see what they can do for me to make me happy. These fish were very expensive. More than I've ever paid for fish, ever!

I got $500.00 from from Vafound money that was sitting with the comptroller for me for a few years, so I thought I'd treat myself. This isn't a treat.

BTW, I got my VAFound money last week. $40 from a lost refund on Turbotax software from Quicken. Thanks again for reminding us all to check from time to time.

Nice, isn't it?

BTW, I got my VAFound money last week. $40 from a lost refund on Turbotax software from Quicken. Thanks again for reminding us all to check from time to time.

Nice, isn't it?

Found money is always nice. Enough to pay for a tank of gas (in the hybrid) with money left over for a candy bar and a soda. So, yes, very nice!

Even better, my college-student son found that he had money that the state was holding, too. More than mine, it turns out. An old paycheck. The exact amount is still unknown. We won't know until we get the check.

that's great!

Found money is always nice. Enough to pay for a tank of gas (in the hybrid) with money left over for a candy bar and a soda. So, yes, very nice!

Even better, my college-student son found that he had money that the state was holding, too. More than mine, it turns out. An old paycheck. The exact amount is still unknown. We won't know until we get the check.

Hey, money in his pocket is (as many parents know) money not coming out of mine....

Here is the link. I donated $20. She is up to $662,279.

You're a good guy, Ryan. She broke my heart when she started to cry after these boys taunted her saying that her husband, who died, left her because she was fat or something along those lines. They hurt her, that hurt me to hear. Such cruelty. She wont file charges against them. I suspect it isn't her nature.

all these donations have restored some of my faith in humanity. Honestly. She deserves.

Here is the link. I donated $20. She is up to $662,279.

i