Need advice on how to treat fish

Jan

Jan, how long after the fish were in QT did the spots appear? I'm wondering if you have some ich residing in your main system that the fish contracted when you added the sponge filter. If that's the case, from the research I've seen, the ich could blossom in your main system after you add the new fish. However, if they exhibited spots pretty much right out of the bag, it's probably not from your system.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all these donations have restored some of my faith in humanity. Honestly. She deserves.

I agree it is really nice and she will be able to retire next month thanks to all those wonderful donations. Times have indeed changed, I can't even image something like that happening on my bus when I was in middle school.

(edited)

Full blown about 5 days. The male GW had a spot on his tail when he arrived. That spot was more like cotton not grainy looking spots. He has more of those types of spots on his tail; the one he came with.

I have a large UV sterilizer in the main dispaly. It may be keeping it in check. Gosh Dave, I hope they don't have an outbreak in my DT. I will keep that in mind though.

I'm trying to motivate my husband to clean out the basement. I want to put the house up for sale. If I put up more tanks he'll let me just so he doesn't have to move his butt. when a gorilla sits...

Jan, how long after the fish were in QT did the spots appear? I'm wondering if you have some ich residing in your main system that the fish contracted when you added the sponge filter. If that's the case, from the research I've seen, the ich could blossom in your main system after you add the new fish. However, if they exhibited spots pretty much right out of the bag, it's probably not from your system.

Edited by Jan

Those fluffy spots sometimes are parasites that you can physically remove by scraping - did you ever get together with Laura to look at the blackspot angel?

The timing of the outbreak of ich could be coincidental but it could also be from the sponge. Do any of your fish in the DT ever display any spots that go quickly? Sometimes that can be the case - mine would get minor outbreaks but would recover very quickly. From what I understand, they become "immune" after a year or so, but the introduction of new fish can cause their immunity to be lost and they go through it again. This can cause all kinds of headaches if they can't kick it. The UV helps, but it doesn't get rid of all of them. I stopped using mine after the bulb got too old because it wasn't really stopping the outbreaks and controlling things the way I wanted it to.

(edited)

Now Laura never got back to me. I still have the fish in the freezer. Want it?

Really more parasites? the formalin and copper should be taking care of them, right?

I don't believe in coincidences too much. What's keeping me thinking that the fish came with this is that I've sold several fish and haven't had one complaint from anyone. Yes, every now and then a white spot or two would show up on the tangs but they'd go away by the end of the day. That's pretty much it. One fish had lymphosis but my understanding is that most fish carry it. None of the fish have any visible signs of it. Never a full blown outbreak of anything.

Those fluffy spots sometimes are parasites that you can physically remove by scraping - did you ever get together with Laura to look at the blackspot angel?

The timing of the outbreak of ich could be coincidental but it could also be from the sponge. Do any of your fish in the DT ever display any spots that go quickly? Sometimes that can be the case - mine would get minor outbreaks but would recover very quickly. From what I understand, they become "immune" after a year or so, but the introduction of new fish can cause their immunity to be lost and they go through it again. This can cause all kinds of headaches if they can't kick it. The UV helps, but it doesn't get rid of all of them. I stopped using mine after the bulb got too old because it wasn't really stopping the outbreaks and controlling things the way I wanted it to.

Edited by Jan

Sounds like your tank has some ich in it and that could have taken hold very quickly in the fish if it was actively seeking a host. If the tangs periodically display some white spots and they're not just sand sticking to the fish, the depressed immune system of the new angels would render them very susceptible to any pathogens in the sponge and would lead to the outbreak of disease in QT.

No thanks on the frozen fish - I just found a fish that died a long time ago in my basement fridge that I was going to do a necropsy on but forgot I had it... kind of slimy and gross. Plus, I'm thinking that it's possible that freezing a fish might cause some of the parasites on a microscopic level to explode and not be as identifiable (although I have heard that you can freeze them).

They are doing GREAT!!!

Customer service is sending me a Spotbreast Angel for free because of all the issues. I took a shot and asked if they would compensate me for the weeks of work ahead of me and they said yes. The fish is scheduled to arrive Tuesday.

My question is should I acclimate to the hospital tank or??? this will be a LA fish not a DD fish so it may not have been treated for anything....not that DD is treated as I've found.

I was and it's on. Thank you so much! Not $20.00 but still not bad for $44.99.

where u able to get the uv i was telling you about ?

Dont know much about Angels, Jan, but after what I have read I think I would at least QT and possibly even treat like the others after a few days of observation.

My question is should I acclimate to the hospital tank or??? this will be a LA fish not a DD fish so it may not have been treated for anything....not that DD is treated as I've found.

I would QT it.