Do not use bulkheads with integrated barbs!

zygote2k

gallery_2631654_862_11640.jpg

These bulkheads are standard equipment on a certain manufacturers' aquariums. They are junk! They only lasted for 3 years before collapsing. Ever heard of a bulkhead collapsing? I hadn't until I encountered these. These are made from a 2 piece mold and are made from a far weaker type of plastic than regular Sch.40 bulkheads. The hose barb ends were both broken off in the hose but luckily there was enough salt creep to hold them together.

When installing bulkheads, be sure to cut out enough material from the top of the stand to make install/replacement easy. There's nothing like trying to use a bulkhead wrench in a tight, confined space.

Wow, that just looks like it's ready for failure. Never seent hose before - hope I never do.

I have some that look like that on my tank, twelve years old. They must be made by a different maker as they don't seem to be made from a weaker material. Could the hose have been putting stress on the bulkhead which caused it to fail?

I haven't seen those before either... collapsing! Were the hose clamps tightened too much?

David... they don't make things like they used to... The same thing 12 years ago probably had a great deal more plastic on it.

hose clamps tightened as usual. there was an additional factor here- there is an under cabinet light that uses a small CF retrofit. maybe this type of plastic is affected by the light.

Maybe, many plastics are affected by light... but mostly it is UV light. Perhaps a factor, but I don't think it would be high on my list of suspects.

I'm sure there are several different manufacturers of these. I have seen those cheap flimsy plastic kind at a couple local stores, but I have also seen the harder sturdier plastic kind that feel like PVC.

What is a recommended replacement for these slip bulkheads ?

Thx

Matt

slip/slip sch 40. glue in whatever you want in the bottom or top. I trust the glue that I use more than the plastic that the mfgr uses.