Senate Bills Call for Complete Ban on Sale of Hawaiian Aquatic Life

Jan

The Hawaiian legislature has had several opportunities to do this in the past. I think they have 5 bills in front of them in this upcoming session. Even though there is no compelling evidence of declining stocks from the trade, this may become part of a growing populist movement by citizens there that legislators yield to. We can only watch from this vantage point.

If anyone has a few hours of spare time here is an article titled "Total Economic Value for Protecting and Restoring Hawaiian Coral Reef Ecosystems."

Taken from here http://coralreef.noaa.gov/aboutcrcp/news/featuredstories/oct11/hi_value/

Full report here http://coralreef.noaa.gov/aboutcrcp/news/featuredstories/oct11/hi_value/resources/protecting_restoring_hawaiian_cre.pdf

I do not have enough background on this to voice an opinion, but thought others may enjoy reading this article from a scientific viewpoint (rather than that of the vet dumping yellow tangs in down by the jetty)...

They do not need to bad the harvest and sales of the fish they need to ban the supply to places like petco and other aquarium tourture areas. If you start requiring stores to have individuals trained in maintanance and houseing of the animals the store sells then the 40% death before reaching a hobbiest can be atleast reduced.

Just my 2cents

They do not need to bad the harvest and sales of the fish they need to ban the supply to places like petco and other aquarium tourture areas. If you start requiring stores to have individuals trained in maintanance and houseing of the animals the store sells then the 40% death before reaching a hobbiest can be atleast reduced.

Just my 2cents

Not that I disagree with you but to play devils advocate...

What is the difference if a yellow tang dies in transit to petco, or after 5-6 years in a nice setup? They are NOT reproducing in captivity, and therefore I can see why there is a negative connotation with removing them from the wild.

If you read some of that article I posted it talks about the damage to the reef by ship wrecks. Also, it mentions increasing the no-fish zone from 1% to 25% around the main islands... I think the aquarium industry is just being included in the bigger picture issues at hand.

Just my 2cents as well

Just my 2cents

The extra employees, extra training etc adds to the price. People already complain about prices. Everyone wants to have there cake and eat it too..

Just my 2cents

I happen to know that big chains like this using much more sophisticated filtration systems than the average mom and pop stores. A fish has a much better chance of survival with these types of systems.

I'm all for a Hawaiian ban. It's a beautiful place in the middle of the ocean- lets keep it that way.

Besides, we can get fish from just about any other SoPacific island chain.

Edited by zygote2k