skimmers?

rfilley

Running a BC29 and my skimmer is dead. I had a Sapphire skimmer and my second pump is toast! Since they have gone out of business, any recommendations for a new skimmer? I was thinking about the Tunze 9002. Does anyone have experience with this? Are they picky about water level?

I'm running my AquaC Remora with an MJ 900 instead of a 1200 and it still does very good work on my 27 gallon tank. The pump is connected to the skimmer via some plastic tubing which allows it to sit as low in the tank as you would want. I guess that you could put a pump down in the back section of your BioCube and prop that portion of the lid up with something or remove it all together.

Look at Reef Dynamics (formerly Euro-Reef). I had one of those on my Solana and it did amazingly well. They make them for all the nanos so they fit into the rear compartment.

See here: http://www.reefdynamics.com/category-s/235.htm

excellent skimmer made by a company that's known for skimmers that work.

remoras and their ilk rarely work as promised. Even the Deltec HOB skimmers suck.

The tunze is good ime, but YES it is sensitive to water volume. I run it in the back of my 29gal biocube. I have no experience with the other ones mentioned.

I also use a tunze ato to keep things in check. Without an accurate ato I don't think you would be happy with the tunze.

If interested, I have a Sapphire Skimmer for the BC29 that I'm not using any longer. I should have two mesh impellers, too, including a prototype of the newest mesh impeller that Kyle had designed for the unit.

If interested, I have a Sapphire Skimmer for the BC29 that I'm not using any longer. I should have two mesh impellers, too, including a prototype of the newest mesh impeller that Kyle had designed for the unit.

I actually think the impeller was the problem. It got very loud and no longer injected enough air to skim. I may be inerested in an impeller. What do you want for it?

Wow I have the same skimmer, the same problem, and I was looking at new skimmers. Ive been told that all the nano skimmers are sensitive to water height, so it is important to have an ATO and then your skimmer should operate much more consistently. I still haven't been able to dial in my sapphire aquatics but I'm pulling the trigger on a new ATO since chad won the raffle (boooo!) this weekend. Haha jk.

I've read the aquamaxx hob is another good one. I am looking for the tunze also but if I can grab an impeller I'll keep working with the sapphire aquatics.

Wow I have the same skimmer, the same problem, and I was looking at new skimmers. Ive been told that all the nano skimmers are sensitive to water height, so it is important to have an ATO and then your skimmer should operate much more consistently. I still haven't been able to dial in my sapphire aquatics but I'm pulling the trigger on a new ATO since chad won the raffle (boooo!) this weekend. Haha jk.

I've read the aquamaxx hob is another good one. I am looking for the tunze also but if I can grab an impeller I'll keep working with the sapphire aquatics.

That may be my next purchase. I never really had much problem with water level on the Sapphire. I generally always kept it high, but when I would turn it on the first time after a water change or a feeding it would just go crazy for a few hours and just overflow back into the sump until it settled down. I should receive my new Reef Dynamics any day. I will post results as soon as I get it going.

• 1 month later...

I am currently using the aquatic life mini protein skimmer 115 and works well in the first chamber of my BC HQI 29. The water level in the first chamber is essentially constant and so the skinner is working nicely with good skimmate output