Building Rock Pillars

Mando77

Just wanted to share my work on some pillars I have built. I used 1/4 nylon threaded rods with washers and nuts to lock and hold it place. I am trying to add a more dramatic look to tank and will add SPS around top to middle and LPS on the base/bottom. These pillars will not budge. They are very steady. The pillars are hanging sideways in pics to show there stability. I drilled with a wider bit at ends to hide nuts to give it a clean look. Fun and easy project. I will update once I place corals on them.

gallery_2632338_889_73113.jpg

gallery_2632338_889_173491.jpg

gallery_2632338_889_138327.jpg

gallery_2632338_889_137854.jpg

I like how that works!!!

I'm curious.. where did you buy the threaded rod??? I picked up some driveway markers at home depot.. (* the white rods, with a reflector on top)

I think they are about 3/8" diameter, and I assume, unless someone tells me differently, that they would be safe, but I just planned on drilling the rock and poking the rod through... didn't think about securing it at either end, but figured I could heat the rod to make a sort of knob on the end to hold it secure????

any thoughts...

david

NO DO NOT USE THE MARKERS.... the fiber glass in the rods will break down in saltwater and release toxins in the tank killing everything in it...some of the poles made for the markers have traces of copper in them depending on where it is made and such.......

I would not use markers. I have heard of people using coat hangers and PVC. I wanted a stronger and more hidden piller. Many vendors sell the nylon rods. I originally found these on Macrorock.com, but they were out so I went to grainger.com. I orderwd over the phone. If you wanted bigger pillars or structures I would go with a thicker/wider nylon rod. Maybe 1/2 or 3/4 for big pieces.

I'm liking that.. gonna have to fashion some when i set up my next tank... Thanks for the pictures.. I have always heard about people doing it but to see it gives me such a better idea of how to actually do it!

I always wondered about this. How do you drill thru the rock without it crumbling? Do you need a Super Duty Drill?

You use a masonary bit, and you honestly just "hope" the rock doesnt split when you drill it. Some rocks are very soft and drill easy, but also split easy, some rocks (tonga esp) are really hard and cant be drilled through.. The size of the hole makes a huge difference in it breaking. Those look like small holes, much easier. Ive got the drill bits if you'd like to borow them.

You use a masonary bit, and you honestly just "hope" the rock doesnt split when you drill it. Some rocks are very soft and drill easy, but also split easy, some rocks (tonga esp) are really hard and cant be drilled through.. The size of the hole makes a huge difference in it breaking. Those look like small holes, much easier. Ive got the drill bits if you'd like to borow them.

+1

AND go SLOW, and it doesn't hurt to tap a hole with say a 1/4" bit than go up in size. This seemed to work well for me.

You don't waste any time. Looks amazing, Andy! Nice work.

Just wanted to share my work on some pillars I have built. I used 1/4 nylon threaded rods with washers and nuts to lock and hold it place. I am trying to add a more dramatic look to tank and will add SPS around top to middle and LPS on the base/bottom. These pillars will not budge. They are very steady. The pillars are hanging sideways in pics to show there stability. I drilled with a wider bit at ends to hide nuts to give it a clean look. Fun and easy project. I will update once I place corals on them.

gallery_2632338_889_73113.jpg

gallery_2632338_889_173491.jpg

gallery_2632338_889_138327.jpg

gallery_2632338_889_137854.jpg

NO DO NOT USE THE MARKERS.... the fiber glass in the rods will break down in saltwater and release toxins in the tank killing everything in it...some of the poles made for the markers have traces of copper in them depending on where it is made and such.......

This sounds like an urban legend- prove it.