What do you use to scrape the sides of an acrylic tank

epleeds

I just set up an acrylic frag tank and I have only had glass before. It's a smaller tank. 30x16. What should I get to keep the viewing pane clear of algae.

I use an old gift card or credit credit card. They also make magnet scrubbers specifically for acrylic that I've used before and they work good as well.

I used to use the Kent Marine Proscraper balde for acriylic. They are the red ones. They do the job just takes a little more time and effort then cleaning glass.

I used to use the Kent Marine Proscraper balde for acriylic. They are the red ones.

I use these too.

They do the job just takes a little more time and effort then cleaning glass.

Hm...takes me at least 10 times as long as cleaning glass with a razor blade...

First time I used it I used a piece of really fine grit out of a scratch kit, can't even remember what grit it was. Recently, though, I've been using scotch brite pads for fine scraping on dry wall. The initial scrape made the acrylic hazy but then subsequent use has resulted in those being polished out. I would test on the bottom of the tank first to see how well it works before using it. My situation was extreme with coralline growing so thick I couldn't get it off with the acrylic any longer.

You can also use acrylic ice scrapers - they have a tendency to be nice and stiff and have a decent handle usually. The plastic ones work, too, but they don't last as long and typically don't have a sharp edge.

I do a bit of business travel and often bring home the electronic hotel room key. They work just as well as cedit cards.

Though I don't do much travel, I use a room key as well. I also like to let my astrena stars go at it. I do have a bunch of coraline algae. But the stars do such a good job it's been three weeks since I scrubbed the tank. So as long as a bit of algae does not bug me I'm good. :laugh: at night and early mornings sometimes I can see a wall of those little guys working away like a old time prison chain gang working across a rock.

Edited by LanglandJoshua