a day of water on the floor

zygote2k

First off-

The 500g reef owners called and said , " the tank is overflowing"... since Sunday.

I get there and pull out the Dursos and look into the bulkhead and can see something but can't reach it. Poke it with a coat hanger- 36" deep tank is hard to get to the bottom and whatever it is goes further down the hole. Cut away some of the PVC and find that it is a turbo snail that is the exact size of the inside diameter of 1" PVC. Can't figure how it got in the overflow box let alone get into the Durso. Easy fix with more PVC. Gotta make a snail screen for the Dursos....

2nd issue. Get a call to go work on one of the commercial systems because "suction side of the 1hp pump is leaking". Pump is dripping water from the suction side at the 2" MTA while pump is off.... Undo unions and remove MTA and find out that the person whom installed this pump back in May used Scotch tape instead of Teflon tape to seal the threads. This person only used one half of a turn around the threads- lazy a$$. Simple repair with Teflon tape.

All in all, still a great job instead of sitting in front of a computer or working in some DefCon job.

Ahhh, I remember those days :)

I am actually a little surprised that a small leak on the suction side of a 1 HP pump wasn't sucking in air instead of leaking out water...

But scotch tape?!? Seriously! There is a person who has lost their passion for the job or just didn't care in the first place.

Hopefully the water didn't do any damage... clients of that level generally don't take well to that.

the person whom installed this pump back in May used Scotch tape instead of Teflon tape to seal the threads.

Better check all the pipes to make sure they used PVC cement and not Elmer's glue.

I've replaced some electrical tape pipe joints on a few tanks that were maintained "professionally". I realize that things like this are temporary 'fixes', but it seems like they figure that they don't have to come back and fix them right because the temporary fix has worked.

"Professional Aquarium Maintenance" needs to be more than having the ability to change water. I find myself very fortunate to have been a plumber, electrician, pond builder, and land surveyor in the past.

It can be frustrating at any job to see someones "finished" work done so wrong. I see it all the time being a plumber and it's even worse when you gotta fix stuff your coworkers messed up. I think having your job would make it much easier to deal with thoes kinds of situations. Loving your work makes all the difference (assuming you love your job that is).

Scotch tape......what an a$. Everyone knows you use duct tape for a good seal!

Bailing wire!