What is the best way to test PH?

MBVette

Is it really worth testing it since there is not really anything we can do about it? Only reason I am curious right now is that my alk is low, so I am using basking soda to raise it up. So I am just a bit curious as to what I am doing to the PH.

Is it really worth testing it since there is not really anything we can do about it? Only reason I am curious right now is that my alk is low, so I am using basking soda to raise it up. So I am just a bit curious as to what I am doing to the PH.

I guess that is a personal preference. I think it is good to have if your tank seems to be "off," and you want to do a run down of your parameters.

I prefer to use a controller with a ph probe. Over the long run it's the cheapest option. I think it's important to watch ph in the context of stability - i.e. making sure you're not having ph swings.

I think if you are using suppliments especially ones that raise alk. you should at the minimum use some ph test strips from petco, petsmart, just to let you know you are in the vicinity of proper Ph. Too high a Ph will open up a whole new set of problems you don't want.

Edited by Buucca

PH is tricky. It changes through the day. Be sure to test at different times and see how it adjust between from day and night. That would give you a good idea of what your PH really is. I have a PH probe, but I still check every month or two just to make sure it is accurate.

So I just bit the bullet and ordered a controller w/ a PH probe. I picked up an apex unit w/ the PH probe, so so I guess I will have something new to pay with in a few days.

Oh ok. I didn't see it where I ordered it from. Only saw probes that do temp, ph & orb. Is there anything other probes I should get? I did not order the orb.

Pinpoint has a nice salinity monitor I use for mixing saltwater. I think it was around $120.00 .I used to run ozone with an orp monitor. It was much ado about nothing and unless I start coral farming I won't test orp myself.

Baking Soda will raise alk substantially and lower PH moderately if I recall correctly. As far as I recall there a a few things you can do for PH such as lime water to raise and vinegar or other items to lower. Here are 2 great articles on the cause and solution to low and high ph:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php

Edited by YiatzOfEden