Which dosing pumps to buy?

Incredible Corals

I would like to automate the dosing of Alk and Calc to my reef tank.

What dosing pumps do you recommend?

My plan is to purchased the concentrate Calc&Alk, mix it with ro/di and have the pumps dose for me. The tank is still pretty new so I would think a gallon of each would last me a while.

I will also continue dosing kalk with the ato.

Thanks!

I would like to automate the dosing of Alk and Calc to my reef tank.

What dosing pumps do you recommend?

My plan is to purchased the concentrate Calc&Alk, mix it with ro/di and have the pumps dose for me. The tank is still pretty new so I would think a gallon of each would last me a while.

I will also continue dosing kalk with the ato.

Thanks!

This is what I use. Dual channel to dose both at the same rate and time.

Ron

Ron

I like the BRS pumps, but they require a timer. This one looks to be nice as well. Only thing is you do not want to add alk and calc at same time into same area. I guess you could have one output in return of sump, and other in another section of your sump...

I like the BRS pumps, but they require a timer. This one looks to be nice as well. Only thing is you do not want to add alk and calc at same time into same area. I guess you could have one output in return of sump, and other in another section of your sump...

BRS pumps do require a timer. I used a couple $4 timers from walmart. They worked great. A controller would do the trick as well. I don't believe the Nautilis allows for individual control. Sometimes you may want to dose a little more or less Alk or Cal, so individual pumps would be ideal for that.

I am a HUGE fan of my liter meter.

I consider it to be the best investment I have made in my tank.

I don't believe the Nautilis allows for individual control. Sometimes you may want to dose a little more or less Alk or Cal, so individual pumps would be ideal for that.

You are correct. Both are dosed at the same rate.

This one looks to be nice as well. Only thing is you do not want to add alk and calc at same time into same area. I guess you could have one output in return of sump, and other in another section of your sump...

That is how mine is set up...parts dosed at separate sections of the sump. The tubes that come with unit allow for the dosing locations to be physically separate by some distance. I have a question I posted in another thread as not to hijack this one.

Ron

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll go with the one onux20 recommend. I figure after buying tow and the timers and will be the same price. This seems to be a nice all in one unit.

I use the Nautilus Doser on 4 separate tanks and I've never had any issues with them and I've also never heard of separating the lines to disperse solutions into 2 diff areas of the sump. It's a myth that they'll bond together and cancel each other out. Silliness.

I have one on my tank too and the 2 lines are 1/2" apart. Ca and Alk are steady.

I use the Nautilus Doser on 4 separate tanks and I've never had any issues with them and I've also never heard of separating the lines to disperse solutions into 2 diff areas of the sump. It's a myth that they'll bond together and cancel each other out. Silliness.

I have one on my tank too and the 2 lines are 1/2" apart. Ca and Alk are steady.

I never said cancel out...

They WILL make it snow if mixed together in an area without enough flow to dissipate them...

Calcium chloride plus sodium bicrab (or carb) WILL MOST DEFINITELY react together. if you have not seen it take a container and mix a shot of each part of two part together. this forms calcium carbonate, which is insoluble, and sodium chloride(salt). there is absolutely no silliness there...

Stay away from the Aquamedic dosing pump they suck. I have two and both went out on me after a few months use.

I've got a marine magic dosing pump, which works well. Only problem is that with a power outage you lose the programming. However, for $150, hard to beat the price. You get a 3 pump doser.

I also have a litermeter with topoff module. Rock solid but pricier.

Calcium chloride plus sodium bicrab (or carb) WILL MOST DEFINITELY react together. if you have not seen it take a container and mix a shot of each part of two part together. this forms calcium carbonate, which is insoluble, and sodium chloride(salt). there is absolutely no silliness there...

never had it happen with the 2 lines only 1/2" apart.

still silly to think that it's gonna happen with 2 separate lines dripping into the water. all you paranoiacs can worry about it and put the lines at opposite ends if it makes you feel better....

I've accidentally mixed the alk in the calcium bucket before and had a reaction similar to vinegar and baking soda.

I've also poured alk immediately after pouring cal and had a snowstorm, but these were large amounts.

The minuscule droplets that come from the doser almost immediately are diluted into the water and don't have the mixing issues as described above.

I'm sure that at some point it has occurred and unfortunately it has turned into another one of those aquatic urban legends. Almost as silly as a mantis shrimp breaking a glass tank.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll go with the one onux20 recommend. I figure after buying tow and the timers and will be the same price. This seems to be a nice all in one unit.

Here's a little trick to dosing different amounts of alk and calcium with the doser since it only delivers both solutions at the same rate- mix stronger or weaker batches of a or c to compensate.

The 90 SPS tank uses a 2cup of calcium to 1.5cup alk per gallon of water and both get delivered at the rate of 55ml/day. Cal stays at 350-375 and alk is between 3.30 to 3.88 meq/l.

<br />I've got a marine magic dosing pump, which works well. Only problem is that with a power outage you lose the programming. However, for $150, hard to beat the price. You get a 3 pump doser. <br />

<br />

I also have a litermeter with topoff module. Rock solid but pricier.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I have the same doser and I am very happy with it! The price is very affordable, too.