Is it a bad idea to put a Mandarin in a tank with RBTA's?

dano

I just got my first ever mandarin (it is beautiful - thanks Ben at Petland), and then I read somewhere that it should not be placed in a tank with anemones. I recall seeing a number of Wamas tanks with mandarins and anemones so I am wondering what the community wisdom is on including both in the same tank. Thanks.

I can't speak for the community or wisdom, but my mandarin has shown no interest in going near my giant GBTA in over a year. I asked John at BRK when I bought them, because I was also concerned, and he told me that it was not a problem.

I just got my first ever mandarin (it is beautiful - thanks Ben at Petland), and then I read somewhere that it should not be placed in a tank with anemones. I recall seeing a number of Wamas tanks with mandarins and anemones so I am wondering what the community wisdom is on including both in the same tank. Thanks.

I can only talk from experience, but we have 2 decent sized rbta's in a 75 and our mandarin is just fine.

I haven't had any problems with mine. My RBTA spilt and my mandarin stays far way from both of them. My emperor angle gives the mandarin more crap then anyone else in the tank.

Mandarins have a slime coat that protects them from most predators. Mine has brushed up against my anemones and been fine. I have 3 anemones. That slime coat also stinks when they die. I had one get stuck in the intake of a HOB filter many many years ago. When I walked into my apartment the smell nearly knocked me over. It was unbearable. I tracked it to the 55 galon tank. I was puzzled because all the fish looked fine. Upon further investigation I found my mandarin half way sucked into the intake. It got stressed and slimed and then died. I'll never forget that smell. Just as bad as a skunk.

So no, it's not a bad idea to put it in a tank with your anemones. It will be fine. Be more concerned that it has enough to eat.

Edited by Jan

I had the same worry, and read similar reports. So I put a mandarin in my main tank. He floated down, cought a current, and landed fully on the anemone! This poor mandarin was dead the next day. I put it in my in tank refugium for several hours. In case somehow it was just paralyzed....later have him a flush to avoid a chemical spike.

However remember this, I bought the fish that day. It just arrived at PETCO that day. So it was likely incredibly stressed. Which could have been the biggest part. I did take about 20-30 min drip acclimating the little guy. But that sting might have been the final straw.

Now I have two mandarins in my 160 with 4 anemones. I bought my mandarins at petland, though I wish they could quarantine all their livestock. To be fair look at the space he has! So would I do it again? YEAH! My mandarins are a treat to see go by! Jive even seem them go by the same anemone that stung the other fish. Yet it has killed my mandarins, I hope you enjoy your colorful new friend!

Just remember at LEAST 50 gal of tank space for ONE mandarin. I may get one more, but even with my 20 gal refugium, and 400lbs of rock to grow pods. I won't go over 3.