It has begun.. Marineland 200 DD & Stand

Novi

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but in my case I saved up for a long time to switch to AI since I am in no position to support science with my hard earned money at this stage of the game.

I also think the reason that companies give away "prototypes" or "samples" is precisely for this reason. Unlike some people might do, I cannot justify giving $750 to a light fixture just to pay more in a couple of months to upgrade to some new technology... On this note I should add that I am very happy with my AI fixture now. I think it takes time for corals, especially SPS to get used to LEDs.

I agree but in my case I saved up for a long time to switch to AI since I am in no position to support science with my hard earned money at this stage of the game.

I also think the reason that companies give away "prototypes" or "samples" is precisely for this reason. Unlike some people might do, I cannot justify giving $750 to a light fixture just to pay more in a couple of months to upgrade to some new technology... On this note I should add that I am very happy with my AI fixture now. I think it takes time for corals, especially SPS to get used to LEDs.

What percenatge in terms of Power did you start your fixture on? Everybody has been saying start at like 30 or 40% and then move up every week to two weeks in incremits of 10.

Wow thats huge! I cannot wait till the day comes I can start adding coral and fish to mine. To me it has so much real estate inside of it, I have over 100 ideas for how I want to aqua-scape it! Go Big or Go Home LOL :lol2:

You have tons of fun ahead of you! As soon as I find a 150g DD package at the right price, I'll be joining you in the Marineland DD club! :biggrin:

What percenatge in terms of Power did you start your fixture on? Everybody has been saying start at like 30 or 40% and then move up every week to two weeks in incremits of 10.

I made the switch from MH to full power LED with zero issues. I also have my light suspended about a foot above the tank. Many people who have browning issues are more likely putting the light too close to the surface.

• 2 weeks later...

This cracks me up. I've tried LEDs, as have a bunch of others on RC, and I'm glad to be rid of them. I thought they were the greatest thing since slices bread when I got them and then realized that the MH/T5 combo was so much nicer...TO ME. That's my opinion. Don't listen to these wanna be experts trying to tell you what to do with YOUR tank. Take a look at the different lighting options and get what YOU want to get. Some people like LED, some MH, some T5....but they need to back off a little on the intensity because all it is, is an opinion.......and as you can see they are like a$$holes.....everybody has one.

Present your opinion and then shut up. Don't go bashing someone elses opinion because you think you know better....most likely you don't.

I switched to LED's at 100% and melted every soft coral in my tank. No optics either... I am still running them, but at much lower intensity (and no soft corals).

Every situation is unique.

On my next tank I don't plan to use led's at this point, but who knows. Every time I go make a coral trade and the person is running halides I get a little jealous.

Since when does energy savings of a few bucks matter that much? Half the people rocking led's probably drive suv's...

Point being, get what you want like Steve said.

I have no updates yet. I am saving and still planning. I really do like the control you have with LED's and most people seem to like them. That being said, there really is nothing like a nice 20K MH/T5 setup... you know what I'm talking about with that real nice crisp blue tint look :cool:

I dunno... I am still reading and watching Youtube Videos about the AI setups. Ecotechs LEDs are very nice as well but I need (4) fixtures for my tank space and theres no way I am dropping $3K on just lights.

The problem I am running into right now is my Sump Design. I have alot of space inside the stand but the doors on either side are only 17" Wide by 23" High. And I want a BIG FUGE so I can contain my Trates in that rather than in my DT. Problem I had with my 90 Gallon was my Fuge compartment was only like 10-12 Gallons and basically did zilch.

So the designs I have for the sump is something like a Tetris Block and will have to be plumbed together in seperate peices once in the stand. I dunno..... I might get Jeff (Naga) to build me something amazing like he does.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think about this Sump / Fuge Design? I wanted a huge Fuge Area filled with macro Algae and LR Rubble because I want to just hammer Nitrates in it. The Sump/ Fuge will be two parts connected by a Bulkhead. Because of the Opening to the Stand this is how I can only fit something of this size. The Skimmer and Pump are drawn to exact size representation.

SUMPDESIGN.jpg

Just AutoCAD. Took me about 10 mins. I will probably spend more time on it and render it once I get a solid idea down.

**Update**

100 lbs. of BRS Pukani Dry Rock delivered yesterday. They are all great looking and should make for an awesome reefscape! Also came was my 10 lb. Marco Rock Cement Bucket as well as my 3/8" & 1/2" Acrylic Rods :cool:

Ordering my RO/DI Water Unit tomorrow so I should be able to start cooking my rock by the mid-end of next week.

Hmmm... what else was ordered?

Stay tuned for pics :ph34r:

For what its worth, I love my Solaris I generation. My corals and anemones also love it. I do supplement with two actinic plus T5s for more spread. I also loved my MH/T5 combo that I had on my old 92gal corner. Radium and Phoenix bulbs offer some amazing color. Its really all about the look you're going for.

**Update**

100 lbs. of BRS Pukani Dry Rock delivered yesterday. They are all great looking and should make for an awesome reefscape! Also came was my 10 lb. Marco Rock Cement Bucket as well as my 3/8" & 1/2" Acrylic Rods :cool:

Chris,

Do you love the Pukani? I think it's amazing myself.

As for your sump --> I tried something similar. I went to Petco and grabbed a 20g long and a 20g tall, and was going to connect them with a bulkhead, similar to your diagram. I wanted the 20g tall to be a dedicated fuge, and the 20g long to hold the skimmer and return pump. However, once I got both in the stand I could see that it wouldn't work because they filled the entire stand. So you may want to hit up your local petco this weekend, while they are having the $1/gallon sale, and grab a couple tanks that are close to your dimensions there, and see how they would fit in the stand. (a 40g breeder and a 20g tall might fit that floorplan). And you can always return them if they dont work or if you just want to see how they look and not keep them. You may love it, or you may also be surprised how much room they take up.

What skimmer are you considering? And what external return pump?

Ryan

I ordered the Super Reef Octopus 3000 External Cone. The reviews were just too good and its an awesome skimmer from the vids I watched on Youtube.

Return Pump I have not gotten yet. Still looking.

The Sump I sent the design to Naga and am still waiting to hear back. I dunno? I may give a DIY a try and make my own Acrylic Sump. It actually looks pretty fun to do and not to difficult if you have the right tools.

Ryan

I ordered the Super Reef Octopus 3000 External Cone. The reviews were just too good and its an awesome skimmer from the vids I watched on Youtube.

Return Pump I have not gotten yet. Still looking.

The Sump I sent the design to Naga and am still waiting to hear back. I dunno? I may give a DIY a try and make my own Acrylic Sump. It actually looks pretty fun to do and not to difficult if you have the right tools.

you'll love that skimmer. I've got the SRO XP 5000INT and it fills up a big collecting cup every day. If it were me, I'd get a dart gold and use that to feed your tank. Lots of flow, high efficiency, dependable, and you don't really have any head pressure.

you'll love that skimmer. I've got the SRO XP 5000INT and it fills up a big collecting cup every day. If it were me, I'd get a dart gold and use that to feed your tank. Lots of flow, high efficiency, dependable, and you don't really have any head pressure.

Dude!! That skimmer showed up yesterday... Holy Crap I didn't realize it was so Big!! I am not even kidding! Should skim the poo out of the tank (Ahhh thank you) lol

Ok started cooking my Pukani Dry Rock this weekend with some stuff called Phos Free because its been said this stuff leaches phosphates like crazy. Also finally picked up a return pump. After talking with Melissa over at Marine Scene I went with a Blueline 70 External. I ran a Blueline 40x on my 90 and was real pleased with it so this was kind of a no brainer.

The only thing I am starting to question now is my lighting. I thought I was 100% sold on the Aqua Illuminations but being that I have one of those DD tanks I am not sure? I've just been reading and reading and being that I want a fairly SPS dominated tank I dunno it just looks like Halides are just tried and true?? I dunno I am on the fence still. Main thing is I dont want to drop the coin and then be dissapointed ya know?