It has begun.. Marineland 200 DD & Stand

Novi

I've always always been a huge fan of this Aquarium! It is HUGE!!! Hired some movers to bring it into my house yesterday and am now looking into how I am going to light it, filter it, Aquascape it and everything else that goes with setting up a new aquarium....

This will be my dream tank so I want to do everything right the first time of course so I plan on engineering it, then CADing it up. I'd like to simplify all the maintenance so I will be def. including all of that in the build up and design.

So stay tuned :cool:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet!!!

Time to change the signature from **Looking** to **Found** tongue.gif

I love the trend that they hobby has begun taking over the last few years with tank dimensions...

Tank Dimensions are 48"L x 36"W x 27"D. It did come with the Black Stand

Def. gotta change sig. to Found Chad thanks for reminding me :biggrin:

Actually I have been looking at those Aqua Illumination LED SOL Lights. The vids they have up on Youtube are amazing. You can set the Intensity of the Lights Power from 0 to 100%. Change it from a 6500K all the way up to 20,000K or anywhere in between. Its pricy at $2300 for the 48" kit but I mean it's just sick as all get out!

Tank Dimensions are 48"L x 36"W x 27"D. It did come with the Black StandDef. gotta change sig. to Found Chad thanks for reminding me :biggrin:

Sweet! My tank is very similar 50x30x30! Curious to see how you will scape yours. Will probably steal some ideas.

go with a nice 10x39 ATI T5 fixture. bulb selection could be endless.

I have an ATI 6x39 T5 on mine because that's all I could get with the budget but it's working great. It sits right over where the rocks are so I don't get a lot of light bleeding out the sides and into the room. The front glass doesn't get crazy algae eather.

Can't wait to see pics!

I would put ecotech radion's over it myself. Amazing lights.

And this is your dream tank for now... It's just a matter of time until you want to upgrade to the 300g Marineland DD! :)

Mine is 36x36 and is lit by 108w of LED. Come take a look before you take the plunge and buy an old fashioned T5 or halide system.

The wells that I traded from you looks great under these lights.

go with a nice 10x39 ATI T5 fixture. bulb selection could be endless.

bulb selection could be endless because you'll have to replace them every 8 months.

go with LED and never replace a bulb.

bulb selection could be endless because you'll have to replace them every 8 months.

go with LED and never replace a bulb.

Till a better LED comes out next year and you have to replace the whole works instead.

I'd do a couple halides for main lights and LEDs for supplements. You could replace the bulbs in halides many many times for the difference in price.

Till a better LED comes out next year and you have to replace the whole works instead.

I'd do a couple halides for main lights and LEDs for supplements. You could replace the bulbs in halides many many times for the difference in price.

I completely agree with Hypertech! I switched to LEDs way too early for what they were/are and boy, I wish I had kept my MHs till LED technology matured enough. I think best solution to your lighting is to get some reflectors with MHs and you can always supplement with T5s or LEDs to create the desired look.

I think LEDs are the future of tank lighting but IMO it is still too early to switch completely.

Edited by Reefoholic

Only if you are one of those people who have to have the latest and greatest. There will always be something cooler and neater in the future.

If you go with this rationale, you should sit back and wait a few years before putting lights on the tank...

For me,the differences between in generations are just to great compared to the expense. For example mh and t5 technology is pretty mature and improvements are really incremental. With LEDs that a really noit the case. A few months ago it was AI sols are so great you'll never need anything else. Now its the radian is so great you'll never need anything else. Next it'll be some XM-L technology or something for better depth penetration, etc. For a tank this big, LED is really expensive. I don't think the technology is mature enough to warrant putting that much money into it yet,

For me,the differences between in generations are just to great compared to the expense. For example mh and t5 technology is pretty mature and improvements are really incremental. With LEDs that a really noit the case. A few months ago it was AI sols are so great you'll never need anything else. Now its the radian is so great you'll never need anything else. Next it'll be some XM-L technology or something for better depth penetration, etc. For a tank this big, LED is really expensive. I don't think the technology is mature enough to warrant putting that much money into it yet,

ditto! I think a handsome combo of MHs and T5s will do wonders over that tank! I say, try not to rush into LEDs yet!

There are a few WAMAS'ers that build DIY fixtures that are quite impressive. I have one and like it very much.

If I had a new 200DD, I'd use LED's and I can build a light fixture for it for about $1k. It'll be all you need. It won't look as fancy as an AI or a Radeon and it could have dimming if desired.

On my last tank I ran the ATI Power Module and don't get me wrong. I had great growth and everything looked amazing but there was one draw back I just could not stand...... The amount of Heat it generated in the Summer time! I had to have multiple fans blowing down to cool the water constantly. It just became a huge pain and way more maintenance than I wanted. By the time I got home from work, water temp was well into the red zone. And yes I could have gotten a chiller but I wasn't really looking to have a ridiculous power bill every month from it. I get that already from trying to AC my entire house!

The AI fixture is just something I started researching after watching some vids on YouTube about it and how everyone seems to really like it. Its PAR values are very good for DD tanks. I have not really looked into ECO TECH's fixture. So far though I have seen some bad reviews on it???

The beauty of the Radion is that the LED cluster is replaceable, so the upgrade to the latest and greatest will be a minimal expense. If anyone is interested in a Radion let me know via PM , I may be able to get a little discount.

On my last tank I ran the ATI Power Module and don't get me wrong. I had great growth and everything looked amazing but there was one draw back I just could not stand...... The amount of Heat it generated in the Summer time! I had to have multiple fans blowing down to cool the water constantly. It just became a huge pain and way more maintenance than I wanted. By the time I got home from work, water temp was well into the red zone. And yes I could have gotten a chiller but I wasn't really looking to have a ridiculous power bill every month from it. I get that already from trying to AC my entire house!

The AI fixture is just something I started researching after watching some vids on YouTube about it and how everyone seems to really like it. Its PAR values are very good for DD tanks. I have not really looked into ECO TECH's fixture. So far though I have seen some bad reviews on it???

The majority of people bashing the Radion are people who don't own it. Most of them are AI owners who wished they had held out. The ecotech is an incredible fixture with so much room for growth with technology.

The beauty of the Radion is that the LED cluster is replaceable, so the upgrade to the latest and greatest will be a minimal expense. If anyone is interested in a Radion let me know via PM , I may be able to get a little discount.

I'll be surprised if that happens. I'll believe when 2-3 generations of upgrade replacements have been sold.