Need to reinforce floor?

Sharkey18

I am finally getting ready to get a 180g tank for the new house. For a tank that size it seems like it would be smart to reinforce the floor. Tank will be on ground floor. House has a crawl space, no basement.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Laura

are you running against the joists or with? if you're running against and it's against the wall, you're probably fine imo...though i'm not an engineer.

I looked into this a while back when I had a 120. The short answer that I found was that it is not needed. that said, I put in some deck beams myself for support underneath the tank in my basement. each beam had just a hair of wiggle room to allow for some settling. there was never enough deflection to compress down on the system I had set up... your results may vary though. you might want to include some more specifics about your house- age, etc. also, if you are not current on your termite you might want to have a inspection... JMHO

I would brace it using boards 1"-2" smaller than your current supports if you have 1x8" use 1 x 6 with .5" diameter bolts. I'm not an engineer nor architectural expert, I just saw this done when a non ground floor hot tub was installed into a house.

Edited by jason the filter freak

I agree with Coral Hind, definitely brace it (I am a mechanical engineer). Why risk it? Your house is worth way more than the tank and a failure would cost a ton of cash......if this is a long term tank (which most big tanks are) I say take the time and do it right.......bracing beneath the tank shouldn't cost much at all......especially with a house that has a crawl space......

cheers,

Darren

Generally, with a well built home, a 6ft 180 perp to the floor joists and against a load bearing wall... you are fine. But NOBODY can give you a real answer in a forum. The best answer is: Pay a home inspector or certified engineer to evaluate and approve / make recomendations.

I had a similar issue and ended up crawling under the portion of my house trenching out a good 1 foot wide by 1 foot deep area and poured a concreete footer from which i used bricks to block up and support the joists. Before I did this my tank had a little bounce in it as I walked across the room but after there is no movement at all. And this is in an old house built 1909 with full cut timber joists. It was a pain in the rear to do but better safe than sorry. Took me maybe 3 days time at 4 hours a sitting to do all the work.