Photo identification please :)

Annap729

Ok here goes:

aefc6221-1856-700c.jpg

Majano? These guys are all over the rubble I got that I was told was pest-free(argh). Hoping the peppermint shrimp I just picked up can help me get rid of them. (help?)

aefc6221-189c-2adb.jpg

I bought chaeto at house of tropicals..is this also hair algae?

aefc6221-1956-5697.jpg

Aiptasia?

aefc6221-1b18-edb2.jpg

Lastly, one of the two b&w damsels I have is beating up my goby...do I beat him up to balance it out? Kidding of course.

^I agree with Rob.

Some have found those brown palythoas to be invasive.

take it back and go to a more reputable store, looks like they sold you some bad stuff. That algae looks like something i had that was really tough to get rid of, definitely not cheato.

Agreed. Palythoa in the first picture; hair algae AND some broad-leafed macro (caulerpa?) included with the chaetomorpha (if there is any); and glass anemone (aiptasia) in the third.

Regarding the Goby: Can you provide a hiding spot for it? What kind of goby is it? How large is the tank?

<br />Agreed. Palythoa in the first picture; hair algae AND some broad-leafed macro (caulerpa?) included with the chaetomorpha (if there is any); and glass anemone (aiptasia) in the third.<br />

<br />

Regarding the Goby: Can you provide a hiding spot for it? What kind of goby is it? How large is the tank?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

It's just a temp 30 gallon (actually my ATO) while the 125 and refugium cycles. Plenty of live rock in there.

I'm assuming that the B&W Damsels are something like 3-stripe or 4-stripe damsels, and not B&W clowns. In any case, they've got an aggressive temperament and, in the confined space of a 30-gallon tank, may just adhering to that temperament. Without sufficient space, the mandarin probably can't get away from the territorial behavior. You may need to separate the species until your larger tank is available.

You did realize that a mandarin normally needs a well established pod population (i.e. a well-established tank) to thrive, right? If you're tank does not meet this qualification, you may have trouble keeping it alive.

<br />I'm assuming that the B&W Damsels are something like 3-stripe or 4-stripe damsels, and not B&W clowns. In any case, they've got an aggressive temperament and, in the confined space of a 30-gallon tank, may just adhering to that temperament. Without sufficient space, the mandarin probably can't get away from the territorial behavior. You may need to separate the species until your larger tank is available.<br />

<br />

You did realize that a mandarin normally needs a well established pod population (i.e. a well-established tank) to thrive, right? If you're tank does not meet this qualification, you may have trouble keeping it alive.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Yes they're three white three black bands.

Decent pod population from the live rock I got, but I'm trying to beef this up. I bought some tisbe reef pods and was thinking of culturing some. Open to suggestions on this, and whether or not I can use that bag as a starter culture. I have a separate 30gallon long I was going to set up in basement just for culturing some if possible. I've read a little and I'm sort of excited about doing it but don't know the complexities. I know how to grow their food in some two-liter bottles, but not much beyond that.

Culturing 'pods is pretty simple, although you really would need a lot of space set aside for culturing to keep a mandarin long-term. Honestly, for most people doing this ends up being a pipe dream.

species like tisbe are harpacticoid pods (meaning they are benthic and move by "jumping" across the substrate or surface). Since they are surface dwellers, larger volumes of water are not necessary to culture them. Use wide, flat containers (like concrete mixing tubs found at big box hardware stores). If you are interested in culturing them, I have a bunch of info (and have posted some of it) in the breeding/culturing forum here.

First one is a palythoa like others have said, but the second one does appear to be majano to me. The majano have a bulbous appearance typically to their tentacles that are at the edge of the oral disk. Get a top down shot of that one if you can and it makes it easier to identify.

In your "chaeto" I see hair algae and caulerpa, but I don't see the chaeto!

The last one looks to be an aiptasia as well.

Only ID I don't agree with is for the 2nd picture you have.

As far as the mandarin, culturing will probably get you nowhere in terms of feeding the mandarin. It's tough for them to survive as they forage all day long, if you don't have them trained to eat frozen, you need to have a very large and constant supply of food for them. As far as the damsels are concerned, the 3 stripe are less aggressive than most while the 4 stripe are more aggressive. They typically won't even pay attention to a mandarin, but sounds like you've got one that's not very nice.

Ok heres the update: Mandarin has totally settled in. Damsel doesn't bug him at all now.

What is best macro for the tank? It's just a cube tank so I'm floating it in a fishnet (aka booger rigged) to hopefully absorb any nitrates. I have a couple mangroves floating around too. Nothing pretty yet for sure.

What frozen can I get him to try to eat? We picked out the one with the biggest stomach that looked like an active forager, but I guess we will see. He definitely moves around and picks at the rocks often.

I'm headed back to lfs now to get the proper quantity of macro I paid for, but if anyone can tell me which Macro i want to get that'd be helpful.

The first two photos are cinnamon palys. They sell for about $20 or more a head. Enjoy!

Green hair algae with caulerpra in 3rd photo.

Looks like aiptasia in last photo.

Ok here goes:

aefc6221-1856-700c.jpg

Majano? These guys are all over the rubble I got that I was told was pest-free(argh). Hoping the peppermint shrimp I just picked up can help me get rid of them. (help?)

aefc6221-189c-2adb.jpg

I bought chaeto at house of tropicals..is this also hair algae?

aefc6221-1956-5697.jpg

Aiptasia?

aefc6221-1b18-edb2.jpg

Lastly, one of the two b&w damsels I have is beating up my goby...do I beat him up to balance it out? Kidding of course.

Edited by Jan

Update:

Got my money back on the reef pods..I saw zero activity in the bag, save two little ones zipping around. I picked up a couple baggies of live brine shrimp. The manager said this is what he feeds them but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Any thoughts on what to feed the cinnamon palys? Wondering what I can do to encourage more to grow. Unfortunately they're not very colorful.

I'll snap another pic in the am. How can I get pods to flourish in the little tank?

(edited)

Oh and the guy told me to come back wednesday for new algae. I heard the caleurpa(sp) isnt a good macro, but I'd still like to also hear everyone's opinion on this.

Edited by Annap729

Caulerpa is fine but it's very invasive and can go "sexual" which means it all dissolves and then can crash your tank by releasing tons of nutrients into your system. That said, the type you had is not as bad as the feather caulerpa and is actually a decent kind.

Chaeto is advantageous because it does not put down roots and so is not invasive and it also doesn't go sexual.

Dragon's breath is also nice and grows well in high flow but doesn't absolutely require it.

Mangroves (a plant, not an algae) do very little to reduce nutrients but are a nice touch and obviously will use up some of the nutrients in your system. From what I know of them, and after having had several that branched out in my tank and then crashed because I failed to properly care for them by misting them down and washing them off periodically with fresh water, they do very little and are more of a novelty addition to a tank.

Really, the best thing to do is have an assortment of them. Heck, even hair algae has its uses (not a macroalgae) in ATS.

I'm still not convinced that picture 2 is a paly. I've never had a paly with thick tentacles on it and those look suspiciously thick. Can you get a picture of it up close? If it's a majano and you start feeding it to encourage it to spread, you'll be kicking yourself down the line.

<br />Caulerpa is fine but it's very invasive and can go "sexual" which means it all dissolves and then can crash your tank by releasing tons of nutrients into your system. That said, the type you had is not as bad as the feather caulerpa and is actually a decent kind.<br />

<br />

Chaeto is advantageous because it does not put down roots and so is not invasive and it also doesn't go sexual.<br />

<br />

Dragon's breath is also nice and grows well in high flow but doesn't absolutely require it.<br />

<br />

Mangroves (a plant, not an algae) do very little to reduce nutrients but are a nice touch and obviously will use up some of the nutrients in your system. From what I know of them, and after having had several that branched out in my tank and then crashed because I failed to properly care for them by misting them down and washing them off periodically with fresh water, they do very little and are more of a novelty addition to a tank.<br />

<br />

Really, the best thing to do is have an assortment of them. Heck, even hair algae has its uses (not a macroalgae) in ATS.<br />

<br />

I'm still not convinced that picture 2 is a paly. I've never had a paly with thick tentacles on it and those look suspiciously thick. Can you get a picture of it up close? If it's a majano and you start feeding it to encourage it to spread, you'll be kicking yourself down the line.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Ok so the button like white w brown are or arent cinnamon polys? They're not the giant polys, they're Te size of a quarter. The one that I was asking if it's a majano is the size of a pea. And they're on all the rocks somewhere, although I pulled a few off and found a couple on the walls of the Rubbermaid tubs that I disposed of. There are others I can see on the rocks but they appear tinier.

I'll snap some more pics tomorrow-thanks again for all the info and guidance- this is great!

Glue it. Has it opened since you got them? These palys are pretty hardy. I have a large colony of them in my 36 gallon hex. It's a jungle in there and they love it!

aefc6355-5809-851a.jpg

The guy on the right looks to be detaching from rock and not so good...what do I do?is he in bad shape?

Cinnamon palys are about the size of a quarter....maybe a lil larger. Majano are typically very small. Why don't you do a search on Google images for "majano"? You'd be the best judge to ID what you have since they're in your tank.

<br /><br /><br />

Ok so the button like white w brown are or arent cinnamon polys? They're not the giant polys, they're Te size of a quarter. The one that I was asking if it's a majano is the size of a pea. And they're on all the rocks somewhere, although I pulled a few off and found a couple on the walls of the Rubbermaid tubs that I disposed of. There are others I can see on the rocks but they appear tinier.

I'll snap some more pics tomorrow-thanks again for all the info and guidance- this is great!