Ron's 93 Gallon Cube

This isn't a build thread since I've already, mostly, built the system but rather something to show progress of this system.

Currently the system is lit by a single AI Sol Blue light about 6" above the water on a makeshift 2x4 light stand. While it's obvious that more light is needed, it's not doing too bad with just the one fixture. I had planned on switching out the AI Sol Blue to three of the Maxspect Mazarra light fixtures, but that idea is currently on hold. I'm going to go the initially cheaper route and get a couple 30" T5 fixtures with dual 24" bulbs (tank size is 30" x30" x 24").

Beneath the tank is a 20 High tank used as a sump with just two chambers. The skimmer I'm using is the first one I ever bought back in '96 and is just a simple ventouri skimmer powered by a small Rio pump.

The tank has been up and cycling for a couple months now with livestock transferred from my Bio Cube 29 just a couple weeks ago.

100_0052.JPG

Just a couple hours ago, the anemone that is towards the front of the tank, and not seen in the picture above was, was sitting behind the rocks on the right. Last night that same anemone was beneath the one in the middle of the tank. It's done quite a bit of walking over the last 24hours. These anemones are natural splits from my Dad's tank - we were thinking they might split again because they seem so large. We also thought the move to a new system might trigger something as well.

100_0058.JPG

The only fish residents in there are the Coral Beauty, a Yellow Watchman Goby and a single Tomato Clown. When I got the clown, he was beat up pretty badly. There wasn't a fin on him that wasn't torn or missing. He's been in this tank for close to a month now and has grown back all his missing fins expect the dorsal that still looks a little ragged.I expect the little guy/gal to make a full recovery :)

Thanks much! I love the extra depth. If we ever actually move from this house I definately want another 30" deep tank, just much wider!

I'll get you a picture of my '96 skimmer Rob. Not very exciting unfortunately. It's really just a thin acrylic tube. Sealife Sytems or something like that is the name on it.

• 2 weeks later...

1996 Technology Skimmer. Nice basic design principle that still works.

01IMG_1073.JPG

Having a 30" x 30" foot print to deal with doesn't leave me much room to setup a sump and all the other equipment I want. The sump is a 20 gallon high, undrilled and a bubble trap in more or less the middle of the tank. A digital Avast top off kit is connected to my Apex and controls the water level in the sump via a BRS topoff pump. A couple of Avast probe holders keep my pH, ORP and temperature probes in place.

02IMG_1074.JPG

Front shot of the stand/sump area with controllers mounted on the front of the stand. One of these days I'll get the stand skinned. Up front, so it's relatively easy to get to, is my Avast kalk stirrer. The salt bucket is my fresh water storage.

03IMG_1076.JPG

This is my current light setup. I got the AI Sol Blue light hung from the ceiling and added two AquaticLife Dual Bulb T5 fixtures to go on either side of the AI. I had planned on selling the AI and getting a full blown LED setup, but something cam up and those plans will have to be further down the road.

04IMG_1070.JPG

The full setup in all it's glory :) The MJ prop pumps aren't currently being run. I used to have a third RBTA that got sucked into a pump so they're temporarily off until I can get my frag tank setup or the RTBA's stop moving around! The one on the far left has circum navigated the tank several times now and I believe is getting ready to split - I saw what I think is the beginning of a split and both of them have had kind of a lobe off to one side making me think it's getting ready to push off a clone. We'll see.

05IMG_1075.JPG

The one on the right hasn't moved in a little while, 2 weeks or so, so I'm probably safe with that one. But it's so big! The one on the right has been settled since mid last week but it's the one that has what I think is a split beginning. Right now I have all corals on the sand except for that fire digitata up top - and that one is half dead from a brush with the 'nem. Although it looks like it's got polyps coming back out from where I thought it had died off.

IMG_1062.JPG

It was hard to get an in-focus shot for some reason. But here's my rags-to-riches clown. A couple months ago he looked like he was on death's door. Fins torn up, faded color and the face had white highlights on the nose that didn't look normal. Now this fish has colored up nicely, fins all repaired and is growing like a weed. On the way to becoming a femaile I'd guess at this point.

IMG_1063.JPG

Right in the middle of this picture is the beginning of a split that I spoted yesterday. At least that's what I think it is.

IMG_1071.JPG

This shot shows not only all my corals on the sand due to the roaming nem's, but also the "lobe" formation of the anemome. The split show above is about a third of the way up on the anemone on the left.

IMG_1069.JPG

Shot of the tank from the right side.

Looks very nice. I wish I could put my rainbow back in the 90, but I'm afraid it will roam all over my SPS. So my clowns host Blue clove polyps.

They have great color to them especially when they're closed up a little bit - the color is such a deep red. They're natural splits from my Dad's tank that he originally got from DaveS last year.

Took some new photos today. Mostly of my new fish addititions. Added a Kole Tang, a Two-Bar Rabbit Fish and a Starry Blenny.

PICASA-IMG_1083.jpg

PICASA-IMG_1093.jpg

PICASA-IMG_1094.jpg

PICASA-IMG_1097.jpg

PICASA-IMG_1099-1.jpg

PICASA-IMG_1103.jpg

PICASA-IMG_1104.jpg

PICASA-IMG_1106.jpg

PICASA-IMG_1107.jpg

PICASA-IMG_1099-2.jpg

Thanks. The Kole may not be one of the flashiest or most colorful tangs out there, but they're my favorite one. Usually a very active fish bouncing all over the place. They seem like they're having fun as they swim around. And so far this one seems to be living up to my expectations :)

Thanks! It's a Marineland 30x30x24. I love the extra depth on it, I looked at some 36" deep tanks too and that extra 6" just makes it seem too big! At least for the space I have. If I were to ever get a 36" tank, I'd have to be able to get to it from both sides, or invest in scuba gear.

Ron, it was great meeting you and seeing your tank! Looking forward to seeing how the frag setup goes and getting those anemones into solitary! The forest fire digitata looks great, opened up 20 mins after being placed in my tank. Cheers!

That's great Tom. Looking forward to seeing pictures posted along with your other new additions. Thanks for stopping by with the frags, looking forward to seeing htem grow!