The end of an era...

Chad

As most of you know, I have been a keeper of seahorses for the past 7 years, exclusively so for as long as the club has known me. After months of thinking on it, this past weekend I parted ways with the last of my seahorses.

Keeping seahorses has been a very rewarding experience for me. Of course, it has had its ups and downs over the years, but they are very interesting creatures that will always hold a special place for me.

So, I put this thread together as a tribute to celebrate my era with seahorses. And with the theme of "Ends and Beginnings," I will give a taste of what is to come.

Some of my favorite seahorse shots:

gallery_2632346_867_55.jpg

gallery_2632346_867_23005.jpg

gallery_2632346_867_26090.jpg

gallery_2632346_867_13093.jpg

And some other fun shots

gallery_2632346_867_18956.jpg

gallery_2632346_867_19652.jpg

gallery_2632346_778_54795.jpg

gallery_2632346_778_25612.jpg

gallery_2632346_778_18326.jpg

And with that, we should lift a glass in celebration of a passing...

gallery_2632346_867_822278.jpg

...and a glimpse of things to come:

gallery_2632346_867_23255.jpg

Great pictures and sweet looking tang. I get the most fun from this hobby during the setup phase. Building the new tanks and changing themes of existing tanks is always fun. Enjoy!

Impressive!! You know how to keep the most impressive sea animals From seahorses to the exclusive black tang.

Thanks all!

don't keep us in suspense.

Not for too long :)

I actually plan on soliciting input on some of the infrastructure-type changes I am thinking about. I am heading on my annual elk hunting trip tomorrow, so will be away for a bit, but after I get back... game on!

Have a safe trip. Ill watch your tang for you while you are away. It may take a year or two to get him out my tank though

I am pretty sure the recommended tank size for a black tang is larger than a plastic tupperware bowl. So now that the cats out of the bag go ahead and start your new tank build with the custom led's. How many of those pendants are you having built anyways?

Also, I heard roozens has 10-15 achilles tangs in stock.

By the way, nice seahorses.

Have a safe trip. Ill watch your tang for you while you are away. It may take a year or two to get him out my tank though

LOL, thanks, but my wife has become quite stricken with him (unexpectedly so)... I think she can hold down the fort there!

I am pretty sure the recommended tank size for a black tang is larger than a plastic tupperware bowl. So now that the cats out of the bag go ahead and start your new tank build with the custom led's. How many of those pendants are you having built anyways?

Also, I heard roozens has 10-15 achilles tangs in stock.

By the way, nice seahorses.

True, true... that was during acclimation.

And thanks!

I'm curious why you decided to stop keeping seahorses. You're probably the most knowledgeable seahorse person I've actually gotten to meet. I'm excited for your new horizons though, I'm sure your new set-up will be pretty awesome!

I'm assuming you still will be available to consult on said horses?

Darren

It would only be fair if the rest of us are available for consult on said infrastructure! :laugh:

Sorry to hear that era is over, but from what I have read in your other topics...its gonna be worth the suspense!!:clap:

Nick, as much as I enjoy and love having the seahorses, I really love many other of the hobby's niches. It was this same passion that drove me to having ~12 tanks when I lived in ny. A few years of that and I almost burned myself out of it, so I promised myself that I would only keep 1 tank. At the time the seahorses were my favorite and my gf (now wife) was interested in having me keep a tank of them. But gradually over the last few months I've started wanting to keep other things, some of which (both corals and fish) do not mix with the seahorses. So I made the tough choice to move on and make sure the seahorses would be well taken care of in a proper environment. :)

Darren, of course!!!

I still very much enjoy the seahorses, they will always hold a special place for me. If I ever do set up a second tank, it will be a seahorse tank again :)

Josh, it's going to be fun!

(all- sorry for the multiple posts, I'm at the airport trudging through tapatalk)